Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:35 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [9]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [3]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2930 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q51  V41
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [0]
Send PM
Re: Define A = The sum of digits of the number 7^100 and B = The sum of [#permalink]
Shrouded1:

Read the digital sum concept ->> digital-sum-concept-100534.html

Digital sum of number is not 16 it will be reduced to 1+6= 7

Now you can infinitely reduced 07= 0+7 it will be = 7 only.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2930 [0]
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Re: Define A = The sum of digits of the number 7^100 and B = The sum of [#permalink]
gurpreetsingh wrote:
Shrouded1:

The question does not ask for what you define as "digital sum" it merely asks for sum of digits of B, which in turn is the sum of digits of A .....

Eg if A were 99999999999
B would be 99
and the answer would be 18 which is not the digital sum, only because we havent summed the digits enough number of times to get to the digital sum yet
Retired Moderator
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Also just a side point, an easier way to think of digital sum is as follows :

Digital_sum(x) = 9 if (9 divides x); x mod 9 otherwise

Makes it much easier to manipulate mathematically with this definition

In the given question, since we are summing 3 times the digits, it is not necessary we arrive at the digital sum. So the anser need not be a single digit in base-10 representation, but the sum of its digits will eventually yield 7, i agree with that
SVP
SVP
Send PM
shrouded1 wrote:
gurpreetsingh wrote:
Shrouded1:

The question does not ask for what you define as "digital sum" it merely asks for sum of digits of B, which in turn is the sum of digits of A .....

Eg if A were 99999999999
B would be 99
and the answer would be 18 which is not the digital sum, only because we havent summed the digits enough number of times to get to the digital sum yet

Why you considered 99 = 9+ 9 = 18 ??? if the sum of digits is 99 you should not have reduced it to 18
Now if you have reduced it to 18, then why not to reduce 1+8 to 9

Shrouded1: When you are making multiple posts consecutively, consider editing the previous post.

shrouded1 wrote:
Also just a side point, an easier way to think of digital sum is as follows :

Digital_sum(x) = 9 if (9 divides x); x mod 9 otherwise

Makes it much easier to manipulate mathematically with this definition

In the given question, since we are summing 3 times the digits, it is not necessary we arrive at the digital sum. So the anser need not be a single digit in base-10 representation, but the sum of its digits will eventually yield 7, i agree with that

Regarding the number 9, it is mentioned in the link that I have given above.
Don't you think you are contradicting yourself --> check the red part.

On one side you are saying it need not to be 7, it is not compulsory to reduce it to single digit, if that is the case then how 7 can be achieved ?

7 must have come using a+b = 7.
Retired Moderator
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Apologies for the confusing post

All I am trying to say is that the digital sum is obtained by summing the digits of the number again and again till the final number you get is only a single digit one. In this case what we have done is sum the digits of the number thrice ... Now let's say that the number in question was not 7^100 but was 7^10000000, then it could well be the case that summing digits thrice is not enough to get to the digital sum of the number. What I do agree with 100% is that the digital sum is 7 and that of all intermediate numbers is also 7 but whether you get there within 3 operations of summing or whether it takes more needs to be proven separately and is a function of how big the starting number is

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Fuqua '14 (M)
Send PM
What level is this type of question considered?

Thanks.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
shrouded1 wrote:
Apologies for the confusing post

All I am trying to say is that the digital sum is obtained by summing the digits of the number again and again till the final number you get is only a single digit one. In this case what we have done is sum the digits of the number thrice ... Now let's say that the number in question was not 7^100 but was 7^10000000, then it could well be the case that summing digits thrice is not enough to get to the digital sum of the number. What I do agree with 100% is that the digital sum is 7 and that of all intermediate numbers is also 7 but whether you get there within 3 operations of summing or whether it takes more needs to be proven separately and is a function of how big the starting number is

Posted from my mobile device

I m not sure I got your point or not but if I can prove digital sum of 7^4 = 7

=> digital sum of \(7^{100,00,00,00)\)= digital sum of 7*7*7*7 = digital sum of 7^4 = 7

I think you should read the link given by me again.

Digital sum of a*b*c = digital sum of a* digital sum of b* digital sum of c
SVP
SVP
Send PM
martie11 wrote:
What level is this type of question considered?

Thanks.

I guess 650-700.

Bunnel : Let me know if there is any issue with the above stated solutions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Is this a GMAT question? If so, can I ask someone to provide a shorter explanation than the one by gurpreetsingh?

Also, is the concept of digital sum of the number and all the related properties useful for the GMAT?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 768 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Define A = The sum of digits of the number 7^100 and B = The sum of [#permalink]
sagmat wrote:
Define A = The sum of digits of the number 7^100 and B = The sum of the digits of A. What is the sum of the digits of B?

A) 7
B) 16
C) 10
D) 11
E) Cannot be Determined

Following approach will take you only couple of sec.

\(7^{100} = (7^{50})^2\)

The sum of digits (digital root) of a PERFECT SQUARE can only be 1, 4, 7 or 9.

For example \(7^2=49\) => DR=4+9=13 => 1+3=4 and etc.

Checking available options.

Answer A.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9243 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
This question is not, as suggested above, a 650-700 level question. It's more like a 900-level problem, and it's not something you'd ever see on the GMAT. The solutions above are incomplete; they answer the question assuming we'll be summing digits until we get down to a single-digit number. That is what will end up happening here, but I don't think that's obvious just reading the question.

When you divide a number by 9, the remainder you get will always be equal to the remainder you get when you divide the sum of the number's digits by 9. So, for example, if you divide 3725 by 9, the remainder you'd get will be equal to the remainder you get when you divide 3+7+2+5 = 17 by 9, so it will be 8. That's a fairly straightforward consequence of the divisibility test for 9 (where you sum the digits to test if a number is divisible by 9), just adapted to remainders instead of divisibility.

If we now consider powers of 7, as in this question, the number 7^3 = 343 will give us a remainder of 1 when we divide by 9 (which you can see by summing its digits, or noticing 342 is a multiple of 9, and 343 = 342 + 1). If you know modular/remainder arithmetic (which is never tested in this way on the GMAT,) you'll know that we can 'multiply remainders' if we're always dividing by a fixed number, so if the remainder is 1 when we divide 7^3 by 9, the remainder will be 1^33 = 1 when we divide (7^3)^33 = 7^99 by 9, and when we divide 7^100 = (7)(7^99) by 9, the remainder will be (7)(1) = 7.

As a consequence of the second paragraph above, since the remainder is 7 when we divide 7^100 by 9, when we sum the digits of 7^100 (to get the number "A" described in the question), we must also get a number with a remainder of 7 when we divide by 9. There's no way to work out precisely what A is equal to here without a computer, but we do know we're adding the digits of 7^100, which is less than 10^100, a 101-digit number. So we're adding fewer than 101 digits, each of which will be at most 9, and the value of A cannot possibly be bigger than 900. When we add the digits of A to get the number called "B", we'll be adding three digits that are at most 9, so we'll get a number less than 27, and finally when we add the digits of this number to finally answer the question, we're adding a tens digit that is at most '2' to a units digit, so we must get something 11 or less. But we also must get something with a remainder of 7 when we divide by 9, and the only such number is 7 itself, so that must be the answer to the question.

You could technically answer the question more quickly just by estimating how large the answer can be (it needs to be very small because we add the digits of our numbers so many times, and only one answer choice is reasonable; note that E is clearly wrong since the answer is obviously calculable somehow) but then you're not proving the answer is what it is, only eliminating the answers that can't be right. Regardless, this is not even remotely close to resembling a real GMAT question, even if a couple of the concepts in the solution might be useful on rare occasions.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92914 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts