Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Eternal Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1480 [0]
Send PM
Eternal Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Was the math ever straightforward (e.g., first couple questions) or was it a struggle from the beginning?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi there,
Did u find the quest in actual test tougher than the toughest ones in Kaplan CD...were the quest after first 10 equally tough?..a post in this forum says that easy quest start coming after first 10-20 quest.whats yr opinion?what were yr Kaplan CD quant scaled scores??
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I had just the same feeling about 3 weeks ago when I finished my GMAT with the score of 640. I had been totally thrown off by math and as a result didn't put enough effort in the verbal. As a result (46,31), I do not think this result fits my desired one but I'm a little bit uncertain about whether I can do it better next time in August.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
What types of Math Questions? [#permalink]
Goldsjo,

Congrats on the 650 - that's still a great score. Can you offer more insight into why the math was so hard? Was it a specific category of questions (e.g. perm/combinations, stats), new content or just difficult wording?

I'm taking my GMAT on Saturday and would appreciate any insight you may have!

Thanks
Jess
Intern
Intern
Send PM
POP UP BUTTON [#permalink]
does anyone else find that pop up thing to be extremely annoying. i've been on this site for less than 10 minutes now, and i've got almost 30 of those pop up windows. why don't they get rid of that?
Eternal Intern
Send PM
Greetings Grosjeo [#permalink]
Welcome OnBoard! :-D

I do find what you remember from probability not so accurate. If Joe were to sit in a seat, the seats are all different. That is sitting in AB is different from sitting in BA.

Did it feel like the PowerPrep- remember we did see some difficult questions there too. DS should be from what I heard.

VT
Eternal Intern
Send PM
OG [#permalink]
Remember, it is similar to your OG problems and the GRE has plenty like that to. It often involves seeing what goes into the number, etc.

Testing some logic here that's all

Hope that helps :P
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
has anyone tried the probability question:

i got 24 ways as answer.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
similar experience [#permalink]
Goldsjo,

I had a similar experience and same type of questions on the GMAT that I took (7-3). On math #3, I have the same combination problem. I spent too much time on it. I figured it out later after the test what the answer should be-24 (but not sure if that was one of the answers). There were a few long problems that I think have wording problems. It seemed there wasnt' any solution. I ran out of time during Math and did poorly on Verbal. Same sequence on RC for my verbal. I think it started with a SC, and then #3 was RC.

I am taking it again in August. It seems like the test format is similar. We should all share our experience and help each other fight this test! Good job on your 650! Are you taking it again??

boarderlee
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: similar experience [#permalink]
boarderlee wrote:
Goldsjo,

I had a similar experience and same type of questions on the GMAT that I took (7-3). On math #3, I have the same combination problem. I spent too much time on it. I figured it out later after the test what the answer should be-24 (but not sure if that was one of the answers). There were a few long problems that I think have wording problems. It seemed there wasnt' any solution. I ran out of time during Math and did poorly on Verbal. Same sequence on RC for my verbal. I think it started with a SC, and then #3 was RC.

I am taking it again in August. It seems like the test format is similar. We should all share our experience and help each other fight this test! Good job on your 650! Are you taking it again??

boarderlee

Do not agree that the answer is 24.
Answer is 60 = 3! x (1+2+3+4)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
pmarkgabe wrote:
That probability problem is how ETS feeds off your nervousness. It is actually an easy probability question if you do not panic and read it carefully and work through the answer.

Put Joe in the first spot followed by Marry.

How many different ways can you fill three spot with three people.
3x2x1 or 6

Now move Joe and Mary down on spot to the second and third spots.
You still have three open spots with three people to fill them.
3x2x1 or 6

Joe can only be in front of Mary four ways. Therefore, there are 4x6 different combinations for Joe to be in front of Mary.

You must relax and work through the problems logically.

Anyway, congrats on the 650. It sounds like you might have learned a lesson and will do even better if you take the test again.

see my previous post

Joe have to be in front of Mary doesn't mean that they have to be close to each other it is ok if:

x J x M x or J X X X M

Agree?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
Agree [#permalink]
I agree with Dmitry above.

The way I thought about it was there are 3! possible arrangements for every acceptable arrangement of J and M. There are 10 (4+3+2+1) acceptable arrangements of J and M, so 3! x 10 = 60
GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 468 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Haas, MFE; Anderson, MBA; USC, MSEE
Send PM
Re: similar experience [#permalink]
Dmitry wrote:
boarderlee wrote:
Goldsjo,

boarderlee

Do not agree that the answer is 24.
Answer is 60 = 3! x (1+2+3+4)

Yes, the answer is 60, but there is a much faster way to solve this problem if you think logically.

There are 5! = 120 ways to arrange 5 people.
Since there is no difference between Joe and Mary, by symmetry, each must be in front of the other the same amount of times. So, just divide it in half and you get 60. :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yes you guys are correct. I did not take into account that there are 10 ways not four ways for Joe to be in front of Mary. You see, not only will nervousness get you on the GMAT but carelessness will also.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Probability Question [#permalink]
I agree that the correct answer is 60
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Woops [#permalink]
If I recall correctly, 60 was one of the answers. I think the choices were like:120, 90, 60, 30, (15)

No wonder I don't remember 24 being one of them. Man, I am still careless after the test but I think I guessed 60 on the test!

Lucky
Eternal Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Where the god hell did you go godsjo, everyone is relying on your face.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37309 posts