Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:52 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
 Q50  V27 GMAT 2: 710  Q50  V35
GPA: 8.13
WE 1: 3 (Mining Operations)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one [#permalink]
KapTeacherEli wrote:
Kaja wrote:
Yes, B really says sth that imples Grayson's competence. But, who says "having a good relationship" guarantee his competence as the chairman? In other words, if you consider this characteristic may help Grayson to be a good chairman, there's equal possibility that it may do little help to his chairman job. Who knows? we don't add on assumptions in CR, right.

While, E, directly points out the relationship between the ability needed for the job post(chairman) and the ability possessed by Grayson.

I just feel a little imperfection that ,here in E, we have to consider"an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one of the nation’s most powerful labor unions" equal to"An understanding of the needs and problems of labor". I also admit that this is kinda "asssumption" we need to add to equalize the above 2. well, at least this assumption is more acceptable than the one B used ,right?
Hi Kaja,

The 'guarantee' in your argument is the crux of the issue. No one disagrees the (E) is the stronger answer; (E) guarantees that Grayson will be a good chair, while (B) merely implies it. I definitely jumped the gun when I ruled out (E) in my first post on this thread several months ago.

However, the issue here is whether the GMAT will ever make the distinction between implying and guaranteeing. In Kaplan's experience, the answer is 'no'. All GMAT Strengthen/Weaken CR problems will have one answer that unconditionally strengthens/weakens the link between evidence and conclusion, and four that do not. In this problem, however, if Grayson can create strong business relations while heading a labor union, it unconditionally and absolutely strengthens his candidacy to head a council on union-business relations. Thus, the Kaplan teachers in this thread doubt the validity of this 1000 CR question; we believe it would not appear in this form on the actual GMAT.

Hey,Eli!

I also hope I won't meet with this kind of problem in actual test! It is sooooo hard that I can't figure it out within 2 min~~

about this Grayson problem, I don't agree about your saying that" if Grayson can create strong business relations while heading a labor union, it unconditionally and absolutely strengthens his candidacy to head a council on union-business relations. " First,you alrealy added an assumption here that "while he had great relationship during last job, he can continue it at this job". More important, another assumption you made is that "he has good relationship now, he can be a good chairman." which comes out nowhere. I mean, just as I said, B just gave an advantage of grayson, but don't make a clear bridge between this advantage and the competence. On the other hand E made that bridge while, yes, still have some imperfection. The point is the "clear bridge".

And about the dicussion between you and Tommy, I'd rather say the two theories are consistent, just discribing "relativity" in different scales. If the logical relationship underlying one CR question is the center of a circle, your circle and Tommy's circle are both around that center, only yours has a shorter radius than Tommy's. Therefore, in your theorecal realm, only one answer is relavant enough to get in your little circle whereas for Tommy's bigger circle, maybe 2 choices can get in, and one is nearer to the center than the other ,which you may "define" as "irrelavant" with stricter limit.

Actually, you two have the same view on those 2 choices about their "distances" to the center.

Well, I agree that if we can presicely find that little circle when doing CR problems, we can easily beat it because there's only one left for the right choice. But this little circle sometimes against our common sense therefore hard for people(or say ,for me) to set the boundary, especially considering the time pressure during exam.
Tommy's circle which seems is defined with the same radius with GMAC explanations, is more easily accepted as it more follows common sense. Also,this method is a little harder in the respect that we may always have to choose between 2 choices.

Back to the Grayson problem, I think if my understanding of B is right , B is irrelevant thus won't strenghthen the conclusion in your theory.

But is B relevant?
We can say B is irrelevant (as there's no bridge connecting the relationship between successful chairman and previnient established social network),
but meanwhile, we can say B is relevant, as it is ...just common sense(we don't even need to explain the belief that good social network within some industry helps a lot when you do a relevant job).

Then, which circle is better for us test-takers? I think it depends. Just take the one you feel better fit.
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Kaja,

With only the evidence of the prompt, it's entirely possible the Grayson spent his entire career as a labor leader spitting in the face of businesses, fighting tooth and nail for every scrap of pay and benefits for his workers. If this were the case, as an enemy of business, he would be a poor choice to head a council on business-labor relations.

Choice (B) tells us that the above situation is NOT the case--although we still do not know the entirety of Grayson's background, we do know that he is both able and willing to maintain positive relations with business leaders.

I think the confusion is that you are looking for the answer that proves that Grayson will be a good leader. (E) does that, and (B) does not. But that isn't what the GMAT asks. Rather, the GMAT asks us to strengthen the argument. Anything that eliminates alternate possibilities or rules out alternate interpretations of the evidence, as (B) clearly does, counts as a strengthener for GMAT purposes. Or, in other words, if (E) were eliminated, (B) could be the correct answer. Thus, Tesluv and I both doubt the validity of this question.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
KapTeacherEli wrote:
Hi Kaja,

With only the evidence of the prompt, it's entirely possible the Grayson spent his entire career as a labor leader spitting in the face of businesses, fighting tooth and nail for every scrap of pay and benefits for his workers. If this were the case, as an enemy of business, he would be a poor choice to head a council on business-labor relations.

Choice (B) tells us that the above situation is NOT the case--although we still do not know the entirety of Grayson's background, we do know that he is both able and willing to maintain positive relations with business leaders.

I think the confusion is that you are looking for the answer that proves that Grayson will be a good leader. (E) does that, and (B) does not. But that isn't what the GMAT asks. Rather, the GMAT asks us to strengthen the argument. Anything that eliminates alternate possibilities or rules out alternate interpretations of the evidence, as (B) clearly does, counts as a strengthener for GMAT purposes. Or, in other words, if (E) were eliminated, (B) could be the correct answer. Thus, Tesluv and I both doubt the validity of this question.

hi,Eli,

I agree that if E is eliminated then B will come out for the best one.
I think I know why you question the vadility of this CR problem, do you mean the only way in GMAT to strenghthen a conclusion is to"eliminates alternate possibilities or rules out alternate interpretations " , is it??

I was trying to make this CR a clearer and easier way to understand. E is strenghthening the conclusion by clarifying the relationship between the evidence and conclusion. I know, this kind of logic always appears in the kind of"which of the following best explain..." questions, but it IS a way to strenghen the conclusion isn't it?
so do you mean that this logic"clarifying the evidence and relationship" can't be the logic underlying in the "strenghen" problem?
I don't know, I think instructors as you must have much more experience to make that judgement. :-)
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Send PM
Expert Reply
Kaja wrote:
hi,Eli,

I agree that if E is eliminated then B will come out for the best one.
I think I know why you question the vadility of this CR problem, do you mean the only way in GMAT to strenghthen a conclusion is to"eliminates alternate possibilities or rules out alternate interpretations " , is it??
Not quite.

In this problem, if you elimnate choice (E), then (B) is the correct answer.
In a proper GMAT problem, if you eliminate the correct answer there is NO correct answer. GMAT problems do not have a 'second best'. They have one right and four rotten.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey Kaja,

I still agree with you! : )

Just to weigh in again, take a look at the spinach factory question I cite earlier in this thread (page 1). This is a real GMAT question. The correct answer is the one that says they will be able to sell the spinach to a bunch of restaurants. However, that is NOT a foolproof argument. There's no way of knowing HOW much spinach we'd have to sell to make a profit, or if a few health food restaurants will make the difference. We DO have to make some assumptions.

Similarly, the answer choice describing how costs will eventually be cut MUST also relate to profit. If Profit = Revenue - Cost, and you know you're going to cut costs, you also know you're going to raise Profits. Where Eli and I agree (and you're right that we mostly do), is that the answer choice about health food restaurants is ABSOLUTELY better. However, it is NOT foolproof, and there ARE two answer choices that strengthen. In my opinion.

-t
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Send PM
Expert Reply
I still disagree about the Spinach problem. What Tommy is overlooking is that there are two ways that the hydroponic factory's spinach could be profitable: if its spinach sells for a large enough premium to offset costs, or if its increased costs are temporary and drop to below normal after a high initial investment. Choice (A) increases the likelihood of the first outcome, but completely rules out the second. It's like flattening carpeting that's too big--you stomp out the lump in one corner, and it pops up in the other.

Note that I definitely overstated my position earlier. I said that there will never be two answers that strengthen the prompt, and that was too absolute a statement--Tommy was correct about that. But there is a clear difference between (A) in the spinach problem, which kinda strengthens the prompt but might also weaken it depending on how you squint, and (B) in Grayson problem, which directly bridges a gap between the author's Evidence and Assumption.

Tommy and I agree the second problem (E) is better. But my test preparation experience tells me that the only reason (B) is wrong is because (E) is right. And my test preparation experience tells me that the GMAT will never require you to look at the other answer choices to eliminate an incorrect answer choice--there is no way that choice (A) could ever be the correct answer choice to the Spinach problem, and that is something that can be determined by reading (A) and reading the prompt, irrespective of the presence of a different better answer.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1546 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Send PM
99999 wrote:
As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one of the nation’s most powerful labor unions, Grayson is an excellent choice to chair the new council on business-labor relations.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the conclusion above?

(A) The new council must have the support of the nation’s labor leaders if it is to succeed.
(B) During his years as a labor leader, Grayson established a record of good relations with business leaders.
(C) The chair of the new council must be a person who can communicate directly with the leaders of the nation’s largest labor unions.
(D) Most of the other members of the new council will be representatives of business management interests.
(E) An understanding of the needs and problems of labor is the only qualification necessary for the job of chairing the new council.

Conclusion = Grayson is an excellent choice to chair the new council on business-labor relations.
Premise = Grayson is an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one of the nation’s most powerful labor unions

Firstly, I confuse between choice C and E. In choice C, which stated that the chair of the new council must be a person who can communicate directly with the leaders of the nation's largest labor union. I try to negate this one although this is not the technique use for strengthen type. In negated form, we will find there are many people qualified for this chair.

However, in choice E, "understanding of the needs and problems of labor is necessary for the chair" is enough for Grayson to be the most potential man for this position.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 895 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one [#permalink]
Expert Reply
99999 wrote:
As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one of the nation’s most powerful labor unions, Grayson is an excellent choice to chair the new
council on business-labor relations.

(A) The new council must have the support of the nation’s labor leaders if it is to succeed.

(B) During his years as a labor leader, Grayson established a record of good relations with business leaders.

(C) The chair of the new council must be a person who can communicate directly with the leaders of the nation’s largest labor unions.

(D) Most of the other members of the new council will be representatives of business management interests.

(E) An understanding of the needs and problems of labor is the only qualification necessary for the job of chairing the new council.

Very tricky problem!

Remember that the real key to every "Strengthen/Weaken" problem is the Assumption (that is, the unwritten portion of the argument that is necessary to make the argument logical). Even though the problem is not directly asking for the assumption, the only way to strengthen an argument is to affirm the assumption, and the only way to weaken an argument is to attack an assumption.

In general, an assumption fills a gap between the premises and the conclusion. For the argument at hand, we have

Conclusion: "Grayson is an excellent choice to chair the new
council on business-labor relations."

Premise: Grayson is "an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one of the nation’s
most powerful labor unions."

Notice the difference in language here – the conclusion speaks of "business-labor relations," whereas the premise only mentions Grayson's experience with labor organization and labor unions. There's a disconnect here – what about the business side of things??

Note that there is nothing special about "Mr. Grayson" here. The author of this argument would say that anyone with sufficient labor experience is qualified to head up this business-labor relations council. Therefore, the real assumption made is essentially "Labor experience is the only necessary qualification for chairing the business-labor relations council."

Answer choices (B) and (C) attempt to bridge the gap by claiming that Grayson also has business credentials. Of course, future B-schoolers think this is a good thing! But remember not to bring in real-world notions to GMAT CR!!

Only choice (E) addresses the underlying assumption, that an understanding of labor is the only needed qualification.

Hope that helps!

Mark
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one [#permalink]
Let's talk about the question again. According to answer choice(A). Suppose the price of California produce spinach $1 and four times of that $4 is the price of newly built spinach. Now let's say the workers reduced the cost by 25%, still it will costs $3 for the newly built spinach. Thus, it's not at all strengthening our case. Note, this is the trap that Gmat wants us to fall for.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 289
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

Not trying to start any turf war, but I'd like to weigh in on precisely how you can avoid falling for a trap like B. If you argue that "there's nothing wrong with it", you're missing the point of strengthen/weaken questions. In these questions, it's entirely common for multiple answer choices to strengthen or weaken. It's your job to determine which does it the most. Let's talk through all five here and consider the effect they have on the conclusion:

Effect: No effect. We're trying to talk about Grayson here, not the council.

Effect: Small strengthen. He has some good relations. This doesn't speak to his knowledge or experience on the business side of things (notice how it still says "during his years as a labor leader").

Effect: No effect. We know Grayson has experience, but we don't know if he can "communicate directly with the leaders of the nation's largest labor unions", so this doesn't strengthen.

Effect: Tiny strengthen. You could argue that Grayson's lack of business knowledge will be made up for by the rest of the council...but that's a stretch.

Effect: Huge strengthen. Now we know that the knowledge Grayson has is ALL he needs to be good at his job.

Make sure, when you're practicing, to think deeply about how each answer choice relates to the conclusion. Even stretches (as with D) will help you really think through the question, and will seldom lead you to the wrong answer.

Hope that helps!

Hi Tommy,
I just have one question about option E. The premise says that Grayson was the labor organizer and head of one of most powerful labor unions, however isn't that a stretch that by being at those positions he has an understanding of the needs and problems of the labor and even if he had that understanding when he was the head or organizer, how can we be sure that those needs and problems have not changed over the years. It'd be great if you can help.

Thanks
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is the detailed explanation of this question-

Nihit wrote:
As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one of the nation’s most powerful labor unions, Grayson is an excellent choice to chair the new council on business-labor relations.

This is one of those CR questions where multiple answer choices are good. Among the answer choices that strengthen the argument, you need to identify which answer choice strengthens it the MOST.

Mind-map: Grayson is expert in labor organization and led a labor union -> so, he is a good choice to lead the council on business-labor relations.

Missing link: Between Grayson’s labor domain experience and deduction that he will excel in business-labor relations.

Expectation from the correct answer choice: To show that Grayson’s experience will make him excel in his new role.

Choice A: This answer choice is talking about the nation’s labor leaders and not about Grayson specifically; as it does not suggest how Grayson’s experience will help him excel in his new role, the answer choice is incorrect.
Choice B: Trap. This answer choice strengthens the conclusion to a small extent; having good relations with business leaders is not the same as having a good understanding of business; the answer choice is weak as it fails to strongly establish how Grayson’s experience will help him do well in the new role.
Choice C: This answer choice indicates that the head of the new council should be able to communicate directly with large labor unions; however, while Grayson holds extensive experience in the labor domain, it cannot be said whether he can communicate directly with leaders of other labor unions; the answer choice does not show how Grayson’s experience will help him excel in his new role; hence, it is not the correct choice.
Choice D: This answer choice is talking about other members of the new council and while they may be able to help Grayson with business management issues, it is not clear how Grayson’s specific experience will add value; as the answer choice fails to establish how Grayson’s experience will make him perform in his new role, it is not a fine answer choice.
Choice E: This answer choice clearly focuses on the ONLY qualification needed to chair the new council; as this qualification is one that Grayson can completely justify (due to his experience in labor organization and leading a powerful labor union) and use to perform in his new role, this is a fine answer choice.

Hence, E is the correct answer choice.

To understand the concept of “Characteristics of a Strengthening Statement on GMAT Critical Reasoning”, you may want to watch the following video (~3 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V39 (Online)
GMAT 3: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
KapTeacherEli MarkSullivan ExpertsGlobal5 TommyWallach

Hi Experts,

I've read the full thread for this particular question because I think it's really interesting and allows you to think carefully for each option.
I want to thank all the experts for their valuable inputs for this thread, I learned a lot from this thread.

Now to the question
Down to choice B and E. I believe B is better.
Here's my reasoning.

I think the conclusion "Grayson is an excellent choice to chair the new council on business-labor relations" is very specific in that it states the person it finds is the best choice.

Now option E does make room for that assumption to be correct but I feel it's not specific enough as the conclusion. I understand as being an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one of the nation’s most powerful labor unions, Grayson has an understanding of needs and problems of the labor but is he the only one?. There can be any number of people in the organizations that he has chaired or dealt with that will have people with similar levels of understanding.

Option E to me feels like the recruitment criteria of a company. Only someone who knows and understands python will be selected. There could be 100's of people. It seems general.
But the conclusion is specific "Grayson is the best choice" which makes me think that there is something more to Grayson or something oddly specific about Grayson that makes him the best choice for the Job.

I know experts have already invested time into this but I hope you can help me clear my understanding in this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Send PM
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

Not trying to start any turf war, but I'd like to weigh in on precisely how you can avoid falling for a trap like B. If you argue that "there's nothing wrong with it", you're missing the point of strengthen/weaken questions. In these questions, it's entirely common for multiple answer choices to strengthen or weaken. It's your job to determine which does it the most. Let's talk through all five here and consider the effect they have on the conclusion:

Effect: Small strengthen. He has some good relations. This doesn't speak to his knowledge or experience on the business side of things (notice how it still says "during his years as a labor leader").

Effect: No effect. We know Grayson has experience, but we don't know if he can "communicate directly with the leaders of the nation's largest labor unions", so this doesn't strengthen.

Effect: Tiny strengthen. You could argue that Grayson's lack of business knowledge will be made up for by the rest of the council...but that's a stretch.

Effect: Huge strengthen. Now we know that the knowledge Grayson has is ALL he needs to be good at his job.

Make sure, when you're practicing, to think deeply about how each answer choice relates to the conclusion. Even stretches (as with D) will help you really think through the question, and will seldom lead you to the wrong answer.

Hope that helps!

Hi TommyWallach

So here experienced = understanding of the needs and problems ?
Don't you think we are assuming this thing. What if he was experienced but could never understand the needs and problems of labour?
The reasoning that we used to eliminate C should also be applied here right?

As in we don't know whether this was exactly true or not?

We agree that understanding of problems is a MUST condition but what if Grayson didn't possess the quality in the first place?

Please help
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Send PM
TommyWallach wrote:
I think the total answer is somewhere between the two of us. I in no way want to contradict a fellow instructor, and Eli is correct in that there should always be one answer choice that strengthens or weakens MUCH more strongly (making the others looks wussy and out of scope in comparison with its awesomeness). However, it is simply not true that there will NEVER be other answer choices that also strengthen or weaken. There's a reason the question is worded as it is:

"Which of the following, if true, would MOST strengthen the conclusion above?" [emphasis mine]

Inherent in that "most strengthen" is the idea that multiple answer choices could strengthen the argument, but if they do, one will strengthen MORE. I shouldn't have to prove this, because the wording of the questions is very straightforward on this subject, but there are indeed MANY questions with slight strengthens or slight weakens. This is merely the first question we teach in our strengthen/weaken section. It's from the OFFICIAL Guides (Verbal Guide - #23) -- Answer choice A definitely strengthens, but C strengthens more:

Near Chicago a newly built hydroponic spinach “factory,” a completely controlled environment for growing spinach, produces on 1 acre of floor space what it takes 100 acres of fields to produce. Expenses, especially for electricity, are high, however, and the spinach produced costs about four times as much as washed California field spinach, the spinach commonly sold throughout the United States.
Which of the following, if true, best supports a projection that the spinach-growing facility near Chicago will be profitable?

(A) Once the operators of the facility are experienced, they will be able to cut operating expenses by 25 percent.
(B) There is virtually no scope for any further reduction in the cost per pound for California field spinach.
(C) Unlike washed field spinach, the hydroponically grown spinach is untainted by any pesticides or herbicides and thus will sell at exceptionally high prices to such customers as health food restaurants.
(D) Since spinach is a crop that ships relatively well, the market for the hydroponically grown spinach is no more limited to the Chicago area than the market for California field spinach is to California.
(E) A second hydroponic facility is being built in Canada, taking advantage of inexpensive electricity and high vegetable prices.

Now C is clearly better here, but that doesn't change the fact that A DOES strengthen (operating expenses are quite high, so if operating expenses get cut, that should help the factory be profitable). There are many other similar examples throughout the OG.

Hope that helps!

For the questioned mentioned in your post - "Near Chicago a newly...."
While selecting option C aren't we assuming that there are enough such customers as health-food restaurants that will help in offsetting the price and will help in making the factory profitable?
What if there are only 2 customers for this type of factory?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 60
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

Hope that helps!

Hey Tommy!
I am a bit confused about the answer. I chose B as an answer.
I am trying to figure out why E is correct.
You eliminated C because it is not mentioned that Grayson can "communicate directly with the leaders of the nation's largest labor unions". If we think in a similar manner, even for option E, it has not been mentioned in the question that he has "an understanding of the needs and problems of labor". So why can't we eliminate E as well?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts