Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:05 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Boston U, Georgetown, Washington U, Notre Dame
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Re: Volunteer Work? [#permalink]
You should mention it. It is better than nothing.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Dawgie wrote:

doesnt sound good... helping my mom's friend' daughter in SAT prep for 3 hours from 2005-2010? maybe helping people in gmatclub?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I asked an Admissions Consultant about this today and she said:

If you haven't done anything, simply say that your work demands have prohibited you from participating. IF you had a strong volunteer record in school you can mention that, but basically just tell it like it is and close. They see plenty of ibankers and that crowd who work seventy hour weeks and then collapse. You won't be the first. It won't help your application, but should not be a killer. If you are starting to get involved, tell them what you are planning and why it interests you and how you hope to benefit the group. Show them that you have thought about it. Just don't try to blow smoke - they are very, very good at figuring that out.

I had been looking to apply to a couple of volunteer programs in my area this month on an ongoing basis so I'm thinking I can touch on that experience and start writing that particular essay closer to the time it's due. It won't be much volunteer experience but like a previous poster said everything little thing helps. Based on the Consultant's reply, it's definitely important to be honest and not overstate the facts. Fingers crossed!
Current Student
Send PM
AlexaSC wrote:
I asked an Admissions Consultant about this today and she said:

If you haven't done anything, simply say that your work demands have prohibited you from participating. IF you had a strong volunteer record in school you can mention that, but basically just tell it like it is and close. They see plenty of ibankers and that crowd who work seventy hour weeks and then collapse. You won't be the first. It won't help your application, but should not be a killer. If you are starting to get involved, tell them what you are planning and why it interests you and how you hope to benefit the group. Show them that you have thought about it. Just don't try to blow smoke - they are very, very good at figuring that out.

I had been looking to apply to a couple of volunteer programs in my area this month on an ongoing basis so I'm thinking I can touch on that experience and start writing that particular essay closer to the time it's due. It won't be much volunteer experience but like a previous poster said everything little thing helps. Based on the Consultant's reply, it's definitely important to be honest and not overstate the facts. Fingers crossed!

beware of picking volunteer work close to applying.... school can smell you doing it for the sake of app a mile away and it seems very disingenuous.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Kudos
While we're on the volunteering note, how is it that the b-schools are going to be able to tell whether or not you've done the volunteer work? I'm curious because as I'm filling out my extracurriculars, I started wondering how in the world adcoms are going to know whether you're lying or not. If adcom decides to do background check on you after you're admitted, your volunteer work will not be on the background check anyway. Any thought?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
shaselai wrote:

beware of picking volunteer work close to applying.... school can smell you doing it for the sake of app a mile away and it seems very disingenuous.

I'm actually looking to volunteer because I got laid off from my company a few weeks back and want to be able to explain my "free-time" :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bakfed wrote:
While we're on the volunteering note, how is it that the b-schools are going to be able to tell whether or not you've done the volunteer work? I'm curious because as I'm filling out my extracurriculars, I started wondering how in the world adcoms are going to know whether you're lying or not. If adcom decides to do background check on you after you're admitted, your volunteer work will not be on the background check anyway. Any thought?

Yes I'm pretty sure they don't check this information but definitely not a good idea to make up extracurriculars that you didn't take part in. I'm sure people might embellish slightly though. I guess it goes back to ones ethics too...if I falsely mentioned that I did volunteer work I would feel that I was misrepresenting myself.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
shaselai wrote:
Dawgie wrote:

doesnt sound good... helping my mom's friend' daughter in SAT prep for 3 hours from 2005-2010? maybe helping people in gmatclub?

Yea that might raise some other red flags... ...obear!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
bakfed wrote:

If they suspect something, I suppose they could ask you about it during an in-person interview. Depending on how well you acquit yourself, they may be able to determine that you've made it up or exaggerated it. I don't think it's worth it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
If you are not a good liar, don't lie about your extra-curriculars. Not only you would have trouble talking about your extra-curriculars during interview, but also your essay might not reflect the passion and dedication a true volunteer would have towards his goals.

Adcoms read dozens of applications every day and it becomes their second instinct to sniff the liars out.
Current Student
Send PM
bakfed wrote:

ok. you dont want them to bust you on this - you will lose their trust and imo it will be auto-ding since integrity is/should be very important. it is better to just make good explainations as to why you didnt volunteer. I know i am a very very bad liar and i would fold pretty much...guess it is a good thing?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi AlexaSC

Great question about the emphasis of volunteer experience by the top business schools.

Linda Abraham, Accepted.com's founder and president, expressed on her website, "The top global business programs believe that business leaders are and should be shaping tomorrow's world. For this reason, they like to see a history of that kind of community influence in their applicants. If you really aren't interested in serving the community in any way, then you do not share these schools' vision."

For this reason, perhaps you should consider participating our national pre-MBA professional group, USA Leadership Corps.

USALC structures volunteer nonprofit and small business strategy consulting projects for emerging MBAs who desire to strengthen their leadership, consulting, entrepreneurship, and/or community-involvement backgrounds. Our website: https://www.usaLeadershipCorps.org

Thank you again for sharing a great question, AlexaSC.

Good luck.

Maxwell Roper
Outreach Director
USA Leadership Corps
Current Student
Send PM
MaxwellRoper wrote:
Hi AlexaSC

Great question about the emphasis of volunteer experience by the top business schools.

Linda Abraham, Accepted.com's founder and president, expressed on her website, "The top global business programs believe that business leaders are and should be shaping tomorrow's world. For this reason, they like to see a history of that kind of community influence in their applicants. If you really aren't interested in serving the community in any way, then you do not share these schools' vision."

For this reason, perhaps you should consider participating our national pre-MBA professional group, USA Leadership Corps.

USALC structures volunteer nonprofit and small business strategy consulting projects for emerging MBAs who desire to strengthen their leadership, consulting, entrepreneurship, and/or community-involvement backgrounds. Our website: https://www.usaLeadershipCorps.org

Thank you again for sharing a great question, AlexaSC.

Good luck.

Maxwell Roper
Outreach Director
USA Leadership Corps

nice! but probably too late for people applying this year since it would look like the applicant started to fill the void
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
What are the volunteering opportunities that are considered appropriate for MBA schools?
Should it be something intellectually challenging, as tutoring, for example?
Or cleaning state park by picking up trash is fine too, as long as you are helping community?
Thanks.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Ops/Logistics
Schools:Harvard, Ross, McCombs, Mendoza
 Q44  V42
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
Fijisurf wrote:
What are the volunteering opportunities that are considered appropriate for MBA schools?
Should it be something intellectually challenging, as tutoring, for example?
Or cleaning state park by picking up trash is fine too, as long as you are helping community?
Thanks.

I wouldn't think that anything would be looked down on, but try to focus on anything that affords you the opportunity to lead or organize others. Volunteering is pretty easy, but taking a leadership role is a serious commitment and shows your dedication to positively affect the world around you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GRE 1: Q740 V640
GPA: 3.7
WE:Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
This is an enlightening thread.

If someone reasonably explains why they haven't been a volunteer, does that put them on an equal playing field with someone who does have volunteer experience. Lets take two candidates for an example:

Applicant A. Work 80hrs per week and travel 5-6 days per week for the company. 700 GMAT. 3.5GPA. No volunteer experience since college.

Applicant B. Spends 40 hours per week in the office and doesn't travel for work. 700 GMAT. 3.5GPA. Helped organize their neighborhood bowling league.

From your experiences, if there is only one spot open at said B School, who gets it?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot