Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:06 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [11]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Booth, Columbia, Kellogg,INSEAD, LBS
 Q48  V46
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2929 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
WE 1: Engineering
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: 760 (Q-48/V-46) - Think I did beat the GMAT [#permalink]
First up congrats on a great score and best of luck for the apps!

U've mentioned something called SC Grail in your post...also RC 99...haven't really come across these names earlier....can you pls do a brief review of these 2 books

thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Congratulations..760 is awesome!
i envy your score of 46 in Verbal :-D

davidbrown wrote:

U've mentioned something called SC Grail in your post...also RC 99...haven't really come across these names earlier....can you pls do a brief review of these 2 books

thanks

I second his request..It would also be great if you could share the stuff [SC Grail & RC 99] since many havent heard about it !

Originally posted by dokiyoki on 14 Sep 2010, 10:43.
Last edited by dokiyoki on 14 Sep 2010, 10:45, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
congrats! i would love your verbal
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT Date: 09-17-2011
GPA: 3.22
WE:Underwriter (Insurance)
Send PM
You certainly did beat the gmat! congrats, and all the best for the application process.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 749 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Excellent score , congrats!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
AMAZING SCORE!!!!! Scary verbal score!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 759 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Welcome to the gmatclub!

Great score! Good luck with your apps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Engineering~Finance
GPA: 3.0
Send PM
Congrats dude

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
 Q48  V44
Send PM
I agree with all of the others. That's great performance.

I'm curious, given how many resources you list using, how much time did you think you spent overall, studying for the test?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
congrats buddy
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 256 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Congrats.Please share your verbal strategy.How were Sc and Cr questions?46 is indeed great!All the best ahead for Applications.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
 Q48  V46
Send PM
Thanks everyone.

dokiyoki wrote:
Congratulations..760 is awesome!
i envy your score of 46 in Verbal :-D

davidbrown wrote:

thanks

I second his request..It would also be great if you could share the stuff [SC Grail & RC 99] since many havent heard about it !

Had done a review of these 2 books on a different forum....am copy pasting the same below:

Saw these two books mentioned on a some forum.....did a google search and found a soft copy of the SC Grail on scribd or esnips one of those sites....liked the book a lot so then bought the RC 99 book from their website

SC Grail- this book has 3 sections

1) Basic grammarreview - gives a brief overview of grammatical concepts such as parts of speech, etc.

2) Error types - pretty much the same errors as found in any other book but explained very crisply in bullet point format

3) More like a dos and dont's - when to use if or whether, when to use will or would, etc.

The best part about this book is that it is very crisp and to the point. At times I found Manhattan SC gets a bit too detailed which is not the case with this book..no complicated grammar concepts.....also the 3rd part is very useful as it summarises pretty much all the traps that are there on the GMAT. Not too mention it has one of the best idiom lists i have come across including correct and incorrect usages examples.....the only thing missing is practice questions which this book doesn't have but it does give you links to OG questions for each concept it explains

RC99 - One problem that I had with most RC practice passages (including some in the OGs) is that they ask u too many questions; sometimes as many as 5,6,7 questions per passage.....whereas on the GMAT u will most likely only get 3 questions per passage.....I got 3 passages with 3 questions each and 1 passage with 4 questions.....now to answer 6-7 questions one has to read the passage in much more detail than to answer 3-4 questions....so practicing from these passages kind of ruins your strategy....plus there aren't too many good passages available for practice anyway

The best thing I liked about RC99 book is that it only gives you an average of 3 questions per passage.....at the most some passages have 4 questions....the passages are graded across 3 difficulty levels of 33 passages each and pretty much cover every subject area tested on the GMAT....if u do these 99 passages I don't think u'll need any more practice for RC

Overall I found these 2 books to be very representative of the GMAT and would suggest you guys go through the same.....just do a google search and u'll probably find soft copies somewhere or just pm me

also go through their website - www aristotleprep com. It is a very unimpressive website but has some very useful content for Free download; I specially liked the document on tenses that they had put up which is as detailed a document as any that I have come across

Cheers!

Originally posted by rishiraj on 14 Sep 2010, 21:15.
Last edited by rishiraj on 31 Oct 2010, 11:26, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V46
Send PM
jsmith54 wrote:
I agree with all of the others. That's great performance.

I'm curious, given how many resources you list using, how much time did you think you spent overall, studying for the test?

I tried to dedicate 2 hours everyday for the first 2 months or so....the last 10 days had taken an off from work so was taking tests full time....a day before the test did nothing....went out with friends, saw a movie and just relaxed :-D
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3593 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Great score !!

You already had good hold on verbal before your preparation or you have improved it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Great score. Thanks for sharing your verbal strategy.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [2]
 Q48  V46
Send PM
Kudos
suyashjhawar wrote:
Congrats.Please share your verbal strategy.How were Sc and Cr questions?46 is indeed great!All the best ahead for Applications.

As I had posted earlier I always fancied verbal as my strong point...its quant specially DS that I had a problem with....here are some specifics for each area on verbal:

SC - Was pretty comfortable with most grammar concepts which became even clearer after going through manhattan Sc book....what needed some finetuning was what works on the gmat and what doesn't...for example avoid 'being', and '-ing' in general, when to use 'would' and 'will', difference between 'due to' and 'because of', etc......this is where the SC Grail book came in very handy because it is very to-the-point amd summarises everything tested on the gmat beuatifully....would really recommend this to everyone

CR - The Powerscore bible is a good book to understand all the different question types....found the CR section on the Kaplan Advanced book to be very good specially some questions involving numbers which were rather tricky....also did some LSAT test papers but wouldn't really recommend these because some of the questions have very dubious answers which the GMAT will never give you.....and BTW i didn't get any bolded statement questions

RC - The only way to improve RC is by practicing more and more different types of passages....however make sure that the passages don't have too many questions because that will totally ruin your strategy in terms of timing.....Here I would highly recommend the RC99
book because it is very GMAt-like in terms of passages and question number and types.....Personally for me, since I have always been a voracious reader, RCs never became a big problem

Overall all the questions that I got on the actual test were pretty much similar to what I had done in the practice tests and the OGs....In fact I finished the verbal section in roughly 60 minutes and was kind of hoping for a 48-49.....but I guess I must have made some silly mistake somewhere :(

Let me know in case anyone has any specific queries about the above.

Cheers!

Originally posted by rishiraj on 14 Sep 2010, 21:38.
Last edited by rishiraj on 31 Oct 2010, 11:28, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V46
Send PM
gurpreetsingh wrote:
Great score !!

You already had good hold on verbal before your preparation or you have improved it.

Thanks man.

I like to believe I always had a good hold on verbal....it was more like fine-tuning it for the GMAt as I have mentione in an earlier post
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts