Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:24 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools:Yale SOM
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
Six.

justreallygood wrote:
How many sections are Stern first-years divided into?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
w103psp wrote:
Stern is in Boston on Tuesday 9/14.

Learn what makes NYU Stern unique
and get tips for preparing a competitive application.

NYU Stern Full-time MBA Presentation in Boston
Hosted by Heather Daly, Senior Associate Director, MBA Admissions
Tuesday, September 14, 2010
7:00 p.m.
Hilton Boston Back Bay
40 Dalton Street
Boston, MA 02115

https://w4.stern.nyu.edu/admissions/admi ... tml?Boston

Info session is this evening. Anyone else from here going?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
w103psp wrote:
w103psp wrote:

Hilton Boston Back Bay
40 Dalton Street
Boston, MA 02115

I will be there
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
bluecollarhero wrote:
w103psp wrote:
w103psp wrote:

Hilton Boston Back Bay
40 Dalton Street
Boston, MA 02115

I will be there

Good attendance at the session last night. My biggest takeaway from the session was that NYU Stern has rolling admissions. I don't think this is mentioned anywhere on their website! If you apply early, you may hear back earlier than the February 15th Initial Notification date.

The other thing of importance: the interview is not blind; the interviewer has read your application and the adcom director advised applicants to re-read their essays before an interview.

bluecollarhero, anything else stood out for you?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
Kudos
w103psp wrote:

Good attendance at the session last night. My biggest takeaway from the session was that NYU Stern has rolling admissions. I don't think this is mentioned anywhere on their website! If you apply early, you may hear back earlier than the February 15th Initial Notification date.

The other thing of importance: the interview is not blind; the interviewer has read your application and the adcom director advised applicants to re-read their essays before an interview.

I don't think they have rolling admissions in the true sense of the term. As I understand from the info sessions I attended, they don't look at any applications prior to the Nov. 15 deadline. However, you're right the notification deadline of Feb. 15 is the latest you will find out.

In rolling admissions (e.g., CBS) they typically evaluate applications as they are received.
Current Student
Send PM
brainhurt wrote:
w103psp wrote:

I don't think they have rolling admissions in the true sense of the term. As I understand from the info sessions I attended, they don't look at any applications prior to the Nov. 15 deadline. However, you're right the notification deadline of Feb. 15 is the latest you will find out.

In rolling admissions (e.g., CBS) they typically evaluate applications as they are received.

Hmm, I got a completely different impression then. From what I understood, they start looking at the applications as soon as it's submitted and complete! I'll email the director and ask for clarification.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[/quote]

bluecollarhero, anything else stood out for you?[/quote]

I stood around and spoke to Heather Daly after the end of the session. I asked her to clarify what she meant when she said rolling deadline and it is not what you think. Basically, you need to have everything completed for Nov 15th to be considered for R1, and you will receive initial notification by Feb 15th. However, you can get pushed into R2 if your application is missing something. Also, by rolling I think sje meant that if you apply to R1, Feb 15 you get initial notification (IV, waitlist, denied), however if you get an IV then your process is pushed and you may get notified of overall decision when R2 deadline has passed. It was a bit confusing but it is definitely not like Columbia's rolling admission, where they are looking at things FIFO. Hope this makes sense.

You did not happen to win one of those prized did you?
Current Student
Send PM
bluecollarhero wrote:

bluecollarhero, anything else stood out for you?[/quote]

I stood around and spoke to Heather Daly after the end of the session. I asked her to clarify what she meant when she said rolling deadline and it is not what you think. Basically, you need to have everything completed for Nov 15th to be considered for R1, and you will receive initial notification by Feb 15th. However, you can get pushed into R2 if your application is missing something. Also, by rolling I think sje meant that if you apply to R1, Feb 15 you get initial notification (IV, waitlist, denied), however if you get an IV then your process is pushed and you may get notified of overall decision when R2 deadline has passed. It was a bit confusing but it is definitely not like Columbia's rolling admission, where they are looking at things FIFO. Hope this makes sense.

You did not happen to win one of those prized did you?[/quote]

I wish! I was sitting right behind the guy who won! :( Hmm, very interesting. So then there's really no benefit to submitting before the deadline (assuming it's complete).
Manager
Manager
Send PM
w103psp wrote:
bluecollarhero wrote:

You did not happen to win one of those prized did you?[/quote]

I wish! I was sitting right behind the guy who won! :( Hmm, very interesting. So then there's really no benefit to submitting before the deadline (assuming it's complete).[/quote]

Yeah she told me that a few people have already submitted their application but they won't look at them till Nov 16th. Also, she said though they look at stuff FIFO...that changes really quickly as some people re-take the GMAT or add a 4th essays....so its seems like if you have your application done and change anything (new GMAT or essay 4)..you get moved to teh back of the pile. Which leads to me to believe that there maybe benefit of applying before end of deadline...but for R2...not necessarily R1 when the field is wide open.

Also, what did you think of the alumni's in attendance last night?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Send PM
bluecollarhero wrote:

That's the message I got too. The one thing I would add is that the guy who gave my info session gave the impression that while you could receive your initial decision as late as Feb. 15 and your final decision could be deferred to after the R2 deadline, it would be more likely to happen earlier (except for waitlist, of course).

That was just my read of it though.
Current Student
Send PM
bluecollarhero wrote:
w103psp wrote:
bluecollarhero wrote:

You did not happen to win one of those prized did you?

I wish! I was sitting right behind the guy who won! :( Hmm, very interesting. So then there's really no benefit to submitting before the deadline (assuming it's complete).[/quote]

Yeah she told me that a few people have already submitted their application but they won't look at them till Nov 16th. Also, she said though they look at stuff FIFO...that changes really quickly as some people re-take the GMAT or add a 4th essays....so its seems like if you have your application done and change anything (new GMAT or essay 4)..you get moved to teh back of the pile. Which leads to me to believe that there maybe benefit of applying before end of deadline...but for R2...not necessarily R1 when the field is wide open.

Also, what did you think of the alumni's in attendance last night?[/quote]

Hmm, thanks for the clarification. I spoke with only one alumni, the equity researcher, and we discussed more about career switching that about Stern. What did you think?
Current Student
Send PM
What kind of prizes did they give out? We didn't get prizes at the on campus info session, wtf??? ;)

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
brainhurt wrote:
What kind of prizes did they give out? We didn't get prizes at the on campus info session, wtf??? ;)

The candidates application fee for applying to NYU was waived ($215)....pretty sweet and a creative prize if you ask me.
Current Student
Send PM
bluecollarhero wrote:
brainhurt wrote:

The candidates application fee for applying to NYU was waived ($215)....pretty sweet and a creative prize if you ask me.

Indeed. I just hope the 2 winners end up using it!
Current Student
Send PM
Well that settles it, I'm going to the Toronto info session (even though I've been to campus twice)!

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
brainhurt wrote:
Well that settles it, I'm going to the Toronto info session (even though I've been to campus twice)!

I traveled from out of town and been to two info-sessions on campus, but no rewards were given. :'-(
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I emailed and asked adcom for clarification regarding rolling admissions and here is the answer:

We understand that sorting out the different schools’ processes can be confusing. At Stern, we typically do not begin reviewing applications or sending application acknowledgments until the first (November 15th) deadline. Once we begin reviewing applications, notifications are rolling, meaning that the applicant could receive a notification at any time. If the application was complete and submitted on or before the deadline, the applicant will receive notification on or any time before the notification date for that deadline. If the application is incomplete, we cannot guarantee that applicants will be notified by the notification deadline.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  110   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts