Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:03 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Own Kudos [?]: [2]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 759 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3593 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Re: 740 (Q50, V40) [#permalink]
Dream score !! :)

Good luck with your apps.
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: $ Finance $
Schools:Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
 Q50  V37
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&amp;Gas
Send PM
excellento scoro.. had the same Q as you, lacked the V.. you are right though target should be 40+ on V
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Send PM
Congratulations to your awesome score :-D I absolutely agree about what you said about Manhattangmat!
Wish you all the best for your applications!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 656 [0]
Given Kudos: 194
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2013
Send PM
Good score and nice debrief! As always, I come with questions :)

1). Approximately, how many Math questions did you fail? How many did you guess?
2). How tough was Verval toward the end of the test compared to its difficulty level at the beginning of the section?
3). Were CR compared to those in OG or they were more long and convoluted?

Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
BeavisMan wrote:
Some MGMAT math questions are computationally intensive to the point where they are nearly impossible to solve within 2 minutes. The real GMAT does not ask such insane questions. My MGMAT math scores were consistently lower than my GMAT prep and actual GMAT math scores for this reason.

I was wondering the same. I just took an MGMAT test, and on the last question I had exactly two minutes left on the timer. It was a kind of VIC. There is no way after 1h13 minutes of intensive gmat test a human can answer that question in the allotted time. I'll post it just for fun.

Originally posted by PadawanOfTheGMAT on 03 Oct 2010, 09:12.
Last edited by PadawanOfTheGMAT on 03 Oct 2010, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Excellent score. Congrats.
Manager
Manager
Status:He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
 Q36  V19
GPA: 78 percent
Send PM
Congrats on awesome score :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Send PM
Congrats!!! gr8 score..

I would appreciate if you can please let me know if the real Verbal was same as OG standard or more than that ?

thanx...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GRE 1: Q780 V540
Send PM
Congrats BeavisMan. I am also thinking of just MGMAT and OGs, and then assess scores from GMATPrep as a first round. If I don't get good enough scores, I'll have to look for further books...

And Good luck for your apps
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Here are my answer's to Financier's questions. Good questions!

1). Approximately, how many Math questions did you fail? How many did you guess?
I made a blind guess for 2 questions - one in the middle that I couldn't quite figure out, and the last question, for which I only had 15 seconds left after I figured out how to solve it. That being said, I was uncertain about my answer on most of the DS questions. My strategy was to work on it for a couple minutes, then pick an answer and move on. In general, my challenge with the quant questions was not the hard questions alone. I found in practice tests that my wrong answers were usually evenly distributed among very easy to very hard questions. In my studying, I focused on trying to get the easy questions right, and that improved my score. I didn't worry too much about the harder questions. You can get many of those wrong and still get a great quant score. One other note about quant - the first 10 quant questions in the real GMAT were harder than the first 10 quant questions in GMAT prep. I spent 3 minutes on the first quant question in the real GMAT, which surprised me.

2). How tough was Verbal toward the end of the test compared to its difficulty level at the beginning of the section?
The CR definitely got harder towards the end, but I didn't notice much change in SC and RC. I was nearly 100% certain of my answer on all of the SC, and on most of the RC as well. I can usually get even the hardest SC and RC questions right. In practice tests, I usually missed no more than 3 RC and SC questions combined. On the other hand, I often missed easy CR questions in my practice tests. In the real GMAT, I am guessing that they gave me hard CR questions because I was doing well on SC and RC. Not sure if that's how it works, but it seemed to be so.

The CR questions I got on the actual GMAT were very similar in nature and in difficulty to the last 20 CR questions in the official guide. In general, I found the real GMAT CR questions to be more difficult than the CR questions I got in the MGMAT tests.

Originally posted by BeavisMan on 04 Oct 2010, 06:41.
Last edited by BeavisMan on 04 Oct 2010, 06:52, edited 1 time in total.
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Srivicool's question:

Congrats!!! gr8 score..

I would appreciate if you can please let me know if the real Verbal was same as OG standard or more than that ?

thanx...

The verbal on the real GMAT was very similar in nature and difficulty to the OG verbal questions. Just keep in mind that if you are doing well on the real GMAT, you will begin to see ONLY questions similar to the hardest OG questions, i.e. the last 10% of questions in each section of the OG. The easy, confidence-boosting questions from the first part of each OG section simply won't be there.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management and Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton,Insead,LBS,IMD,Kellog,Haas,Duke
Send PM
Superb score man!!!!

Nice debrief ....you seem to be very clear with your ideas....:)

best of luck for your apps
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 656 [0]
Given Kudos: 194
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2013
Send PM
BeavisMan wrote:
Here are my answer's to Financier's questions. Good questions!

I made a blind guess for 2 questions - one in the middle that I couldn't quite figure out, and the last question, for which I only had 15 seconds left after I figured out how to solve it. That being said, I was uncertain about my answer on most of the DS questions. My strategy was to work on it for a couple minutes, then pick an answer and move on. In general, my challenge with the quant questions was not the hard questions alone. I found in practice tests that my wrong answers were usually evenly distributed among very easy to very hard questions. In my studying, I focused on trying to get the easy questions right, and that improved my score. I didn't worry too much about the harder questions. You can get many of those wrong and still get a great quant score. One other note about quant - the first 10 quant questions in the real GMAT were harder than the first 10 quant questions in GMAT prep. I spent 3 minutes on the first quant question in the real GMAT, which surprised me.

2). How tough was Verbal toward the end of the test compared to its difficulty level at the beginning of the section?
The CR definitely got harder towards the end, but I didn't notice much change in SC and RC. I was nearly 100% certain of my answer on all of the SC, and on most of the RC as well. I can usually get even the hardest SC and RC questions right. In practice tests, I usually missed no more than 3 RC and SC questions combined. On the other hand, I often missed easy CR questions in my practice tests. In the real GMAT, I am guessing that they gave me hard CR questions because I was doing well on SC and RC. Not sure if that's how it works, but it seemed to be so.

The CR questions I got on the actual GMAT were very similar in nature and in difficulty to the last 20 CR questions in the official guide. In general, I found the real GMAT CR questions to be more difficult than the CR questions I got in the MGMAT tests.

Thanks for the Info!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT Date: 09-17-2011
GPA: 3.22
WE:Underwriter (Insurance)
Send PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! amazing debrief, I really liked when you said you don't have to spend a ton of $$$ on prep courses :) I am trying to resist enrolling my self in Knewton's course (just because of their 50 points guarantee)
I had 1 quest though: How did you prepare for AWA?
All the best for future.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
thanks for the info n gud luck for ur apps!!!
Own Kudos [?]: [1]
Given Kudos:
Kudos
I used only one resource in preparing for AWA, and was able to get a 6.0 on both essays. Here is the resource: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html

The above link presents a very brief yet comprehensive guide for the essay structure and the key transition words that you should use. When you take the GMAT, use a prescribed structure that you have practiced for your AWA essays. Don't try to get creative in your AWA essays because that's not helpful for getting a good score.

I wrote 6 practice essays during 3 of my practice gmat exams, which was enough to make me comfortable writing the essays.

For example, I knew that my "Analyze an Argument" essay would look like this regardless of the topic:
Paragraph 1 - The argument states that ---. I find that the argument is unconvincing,based on assumptions that are not necessarily true, and illogical because the argument ---.
Paragraph 2 - problem # 1 with the argument
Paragraph 3 - problem # 2 with the argument
Paragraph 4 - problem # 3 with the argument
Paragraph 5 - The argument is unconvincing for the reasons stated above. Had the argument considered --- or clarified its assumptions, it would have been a more logical and convincing argument.

This may look like a very simple approach, but that's all the GMAT is asking for. The key is to present a well-reasoned assessment of the argument in the body of your essay. Focus your time on that, and not on the intro and conclusion.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
thanks for the info...
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder