Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:03 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 685 [326]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [92]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [24]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3077 [8]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: As a result of medical advances, many people that might at one time [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
scthakur wrote:
As a result of medical advances, many people that might at one time have died as children of such infections as diphtheria, pneumonia, or rheumatic fever now live well into old age.
(A) that might at one time have died as children
(B) who might once have died in childhood
(C) that as children might once have died
(D) who in childhood might have at one time died
(E) who, when they were children, might at one time have died

Please explain why you rejected an option.

A,C -out "that" is not appropriate here.

at one time (wordy) = once (concise)
D,E are out.

D,E also distorts the meaning.
as ritula explained.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [20]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Masters in Finance
Schools:London Business School
Send PM
Re: As a result of medical advances, many people that might at one time [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Maulikgmat wrote:
121. As a result of medical advances, many people that might at one time have died as children of such infections as diphtheria, pneumonia, or rheumatic fever now live well into old age.
Is the use of might at one time not correct when compared to Might once???
Please explain ur answer.

Answer B

"might at one time" and "might once" both are correct. But "once" is precise as compared to "at one time". So, "once" is preferred.

"who" should be used to refer to people.

"in childhood" is parallel to "into old age".
"when they are children" is not parallel to "into old age".

sequence:
part I of sentence --> once - have died - in childhood
part II of sentence --> now - live - into old age
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
 Q49  V35
Send PM
good question. I tried to answer, but chose incorrect choice.

I would appreciate if someone can explain the answer.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4798 [3]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
jb2010 wrote:
good question. I tried to answer, but chose incorrect choice.

I would appreciate if someone can explain the answer.

Ok JB, I think I understand this SC now.

I just confirmed my understanding about "that" was incorrect. "That" cannot refer to people.
So we are left with ACs B,D and E.

>>> implies the people actually died when they were children.
The SC means to say the people who might have died of these infections are now alive because of the medical blah blah.

(E)As a result of medical advances, many people who, when they were children, might at one time have died
of such infections as diphtheria, pneumonia, or rheumatic fever now live well into old age.
>>> I think this AC changes the meaning of the SC as well.

B is left.

This could very well be a IIlism question.

As a result of medical advances, many people who might once have died in childhood
of such infections as diphtheria, pneumonia, or rheumatic fever now live well into old age.

Hope this helps

-Goalsnr
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 892 [2]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
This SC is checking for parallelism.
who is the key.
B and D left. <--------
Using || it has to be B. ie live well into old age || died in childhood

live || died
old age || childhood

garimavyas wrote:
As a result of the medical advances, many people that might at one time have died as children of such infections as diptheria, pneumonia or rheumatic fever now live well into old age.

a. that might at one time have died as children
b. who might once have died in childhood
c. that as children might once have died
d. who in childhood might have at one time died
e. who, when they are children, might at one time have died

Originally posted by gmat1220 on 03 Mar 2011, 20:02.
Last edited by gmat1220 on 03 Mar 2011, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [4]
Given Kudos: 3
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
(A) Wrong : Children – old age are not parallel
(B) Correct : childhood and old age are parallel
(C) Wrong : same reason as in A
(D) Wrong : one time died is wrong [people wont die multiple times]
(E) Wrong : same reason as in A
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3670 [7]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
shikhar wrote:
121. As a result of medical advances, many people that might at one time have died as children of such infections as diphtheria, pneumonia, or rheumatic fever now live well into old age.

I am confused between B and D

B sounds very incorrect to me
"Who might once have died in childhood"
here once sounds to be emphasizing once, twice, thrice thing ....
at one time sounds better in such a situation what do you say guys

These are types of questions the GMAT is moving more towards - one of meaning. Usually you'll be down to 2 answer choices - here B and D and the difference may come to a small technicality or in meaning.

With D - the "one time" if you read closely refers to one time during the childhood period.
For B - the "once" refers to one time in history, something may have happened in a person's childhood.

There is a slight nuance here that is significant. With D, it's a time during the childhood where something happened - death. Now it doesn't make sense here because if there was death, then there was no stage after childhood.

If the sentence said - many people who in childhood might have at one time gotten chicken pox - it would be valid. However, we are using death instead and it just doesn't make sense in this context.

B doesn't have this confusion. One may have died in childhood...when? At one time or moment in history. He is not dying at one time IN his childhood. He is dying as a child at one time IN the timeline of history.

More GMAT questions will be of this type going forward.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4561 [5]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
The key difference is between (B) and (D), and is one of meaning.

(D) suggests that people may have actually died at one time. This is nonsensical. One can only die once.

(B) avoids this error with 'might once have died...'.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20705 [2]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinja, Could you help to explain why (D) is incorrect here?
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [6]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos