Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:57 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Schools:Tuck 2013
WE 1: Big 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink]
estreet wrote:
Keeping in mind I know nothing about this, it might add some weight to your argument that your candidacy has improved if what you experienced since the last application makes it into your bibliography. Don't think it has to be expansive since there is an essay about it, maybe just a reference that will make sense once they read the other essay.

Thanks estreet for your insight.

Although, for Cornell MBA, there is no previous essay adcom can refer to, because they discard all (most?) records after the season is over. That's where my question begins... (Will they still remember? or not?)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
"I'm saying this because Cornell's third essay requires creativity, and my last year's unique format might be recognized."

You just have to decide if you are okay with the possibility of them remembering, nobody call tell you yes or no for sure (unfort.)

Best of luck - fingers crossed for you either way
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [1]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Corp Fin
Schools:Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
 Q44  V42 GMAT 2: 710  Q47  V40
GPA: 1.87
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Send PM
Kudos
bosunnusob wrote:
Hi Ariel,

Thank you for your willingness to answer questions on the forum! I was wondering if you may shed some light on the Park Leadership Fellowship program, specifically, 1) if their "leadership" designed course is much different from a customized Immersions option that focuses on leadership, and 2) if these fellows are identified/known by the class, or if they blend in seamlessly with the other students.

Thank you in advance!

Customized immersions (and all immersions really) generally build on more technical skills (finance, IB, capital makets/asset management, etc). Leadership training is a part of a separate program LSP that is accessible to all students (usually classes on Fridays and Saturdays for extra credit). That being said, we're all required to take leadership courses as part of the core (Managing and Leading in Organizations, Team Leadership Experience, etc with Mannix/O'Connor and Risa Mish respectively).

Park Fellows blend seamlessly with the rest of the class, I know of a couple but that's about it. I know they have some workshops they have to attend, but I don't know much beyond that.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
Send PM
bestofgmat wrote:
Count me in for R1. I'm a reapplicant this year, and I've noticed the essays are identical to last year's.
In case of Cornell, they only keep application file for one year (unlike other school who keeps them for 2 years)
so technically, we could re-apply with exactly the same essay.

In my case, I was accepted for an interview, waitlisted, and then dinged almost as late as May.
I haven't asked them what the reason for my denial was (which was stupid) but I don't think it was because of my essay.
In fact, I think one of my essay was pretty well written. My guess is that it was probably more of my GPA and lack of commitment after being waitlisted (I panicked).

Having said that, what do you think about using the last year's essay once more?
Wouldn't someone at the adcom remember my essay and say, "hey, this guy didn't put additional effort to his essay"?
I'm saying this because Cornell's third essay requires creativity, and my last year's unique format might be recognized.
But then again, they don't keep any record, and they read thousands of essays.

Any opinions?

You've probably already submitted but my 2 cents on this. I don't see anything wrong with submitting essays that are very similar to last year's (especially if they only keep apps for one year). It's odd though that they would ask for an essay about how you've strengthened your candidacy and not have anything to refer back to from the prior year.

I'm in two minds about the table of contents essay though. You could have similar content (especially if you're conveying the same 'brand' as last year), but I don't know that the formatting should be the same. I might be completely off on this, so take it with a grain of salt.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi everyone!

Has anyone gotten interview invites yet?

Does anyone know how much weight the interview has on the whole admissions process??

i.e. if you get an invite are you well on your way to acceptance or do you still have the most important part ahead of you?

I ask because above someone mentioned that they were waitlisted and dinged after their interview, but reasoned that it might have been because of his GPA or essays.... I thought once they invited you to interview those things would be ancient history and the deciison would be based solely on how well you did in the interview...

any thoughts??

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Concentration: M&A
Schools:UVA Darden (R1), Cornell Johnson (R1), Yale SOM (R1), Oxford Said (R2)
WE 1: 5 Yrs Mgmt Consulting
Send PM
Hi,

Applied R1, good luck to all!

GMAT: 670
GPA: 3.4
WE: 5 Years Management Consulting

Also, regarding interview/acceptance rates, I believe I read on another site (in an Interview with the AdCom) that the rate is something like, ~40% of those interviewed receive an admittance. For what that's worth.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:dont know yet
Send PM
ariel,

Hows the marketing program at Cornell?
i know its not a marketing school, but whats yours take on it has a student of Johnson.
Current Student
Send PM
chambax wrote:
Hi everyone!

Has anyone gotten interview invites yet?

Does anyone know how much weight the interview has on the whole admissions process??

i.e. if you get an invite are you well on your way to acceptance or do you still have the most important part ahead of you?

I ask because above someone mentioned that they were waitlisted and dinged after their interview, but reasoned that it might have been because of his GPA or essays.... I thought once they invited you to interview those things would be ancient history and the deciison would be based solely on how well you did in the interview...

any thoughts??

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I can't say that once you get an interview invite it's a slam dunk from there. While an interview invite is a very positive indication to your candidacy, that's all it is - they're serious about getting to know you. A thing to note about Cornell interviews - they're not completely blind unlike most other schools (i.e. the interviewer has notes from the individual who is reviewing your file). I wish someone told me this year, so that being said, expect weaknesses in your application to come up during the interview - low GPA, low GMAT, no prior finance experience, etc. Think in advance how to counter these. There are no official numbers on this, but my feeling is that approximately half of all applicants will get an interview invite and of those, half will get an admit (last round excluded), which is in line with a published acceptance rate in the low 20% for the regular/two-year program.
Current Student
Send PM
ntenzer wrote:
Hi,

Applied R1, good luck to all!

GMAT: 670
GPA: 3.4
WE: 5 Years Management Consulting

Also, regarding interview/acceptance rates, I believe I read on another site (in an Interview with the AdCom) that the rate is something like, ~40% of those interviewed receive an admittance. For what that's worth.

Best of luck! The acceptance rate you're referring to sounds about right for the AMBA program. Admit rates for the two-year program are usually in the low 20% every year. I have posted all these metrics in this thread (and they're not publicly available yet).
Current Student
Send PM
IllustratorBlu wrote:
ariel,

i know its not a marketing school, but whats yours take on it has a student of Johnson.

Johnson has really strong ties with CPG firms in particular. Not sure where exactly in marketing your interests lie, but here's my $0.02. Johnson has a very strong network at Johnson & Johnson (we're a core school and they take tons of people every year), as well as Unilever, Colgate and P&G. The school also places marketing interns/brand managers at financial services and healthcare firms - the big ones are AMEX (tons of alums there) and Amgen. The Marketing association has a really strong presence on campus and pretty much everyone who wanted to do an internship in marketing got one last year. Unfortunately, I don't know much about full-time placements for class of 2010. Strategic Marketing is one of the popular immersions as well.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
ariel wrote:
IllustratorBlu wrote:
ariel,

Johnson has really strong ties with CPG firms in particular. Not sure where exactly in marketing your interests lie, but here's my $0.02. Johnson has a very strong network at Johnson & Johnson (we're a core school and they take tons of people every year), as well as Unilever, Colgate and P&G. The school also places marketing interns/brand managers at financial services and healthcare firms - the big ones are AMEX (tons of alums there) and Amgen. The Marketing association has a really strong presence on campus and pretty much everyone who wanted to do an internship in marketing got one last year. Unfortunately, I don't know much about full-time placements for class of 2010. Strategic Marketing is one of the popular immersions as well.

Hi Ariel,

How successful were international students in securing CPG internships? Do these firms prefer local to international students?
Current Student
Send PM
gijoedude wrote:

Hi Ariel,

How successful were international students in securing CPG internships? Do these firms prefer local to international students?

Unfortunately most don't but there are a few that do - Colgate is one, not sure about the others, but there are a couple more. That being said, you can always supplement your recruiting efforts with an off-campus job search and that's a lot bigger universe of potential employers, but CPG recruitment on campus is going to be more challenging for an international student.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Ariel,

Perhaps some confusion, the AdCom said: "~40% of those interviewed receive an admittance". Are you referring to selectivity as 23% or the percent of those interviewed who received acceptance?

I guess my concern is - are you saying that 1 in 5 interviewed receive an admit? That seems extraordinarily low.
Current Student
Send PM
ntenzer wrote:
Ariel,

Perhaps some confusion, the AdCom said: "~40% of those interviewed receive an admittance". Are you referring to selectivity as 23% or the percent of those interviewed who received acceptance?

I guess my concern is - are you saying that 1 in 5 interviewed receive an admit? That seems extraordinarily low.

No, 23% of all who applied. Wasn't aware that they disclose % admitted from interviewed but what you're saying is very much in line with what I said originally (i.e. half of all applying get an invite, and half of those interviewed get an invite, which means that about 25% of the original population got an invite).
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Ariel, thanks!

Any thoughts on app volume this year, versus those of years past. Read something from bw that projected a down year, any news from Johnson on this? Trying to hone in on competitiveness this year versus last year. Thanks!
Current Student
Send PM
ntenzer wrote:
Ariel, thanks!

Any thoughts on app volume this year, versus those of years past. Read something from bw that projected a down year, any news from Johnson on this? Trying to hone in on competitiveness this year versus last year. Thanks!

Sorry haven't heard anything through the grapevine, it's really early in the admissions process. You'll likely be better able to deduce that sort of info from reading chat transcripts and intelligence collected on admissions websites. Personally, I don't see a reason why application volume would be substantially different from last year's, but that's just my opinion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
 Q49  V41
WE 1: 1 Year Research & Development
WE 2: 7.5 Years IT Consultant
Send PM
As there are 4 rounds in Cornell, is R2 Vs R3 similar to R1 Vs R2 of other schools? Or there is big disadvantage of applying for Cornell in R3?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  72