Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:47 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [32]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Consulting, Strategy
Schools:Booth
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Status:Not afraid of failures, disappointments, and falls.
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 260
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
WE:Operations (Telecommunications)
Send PM
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Re: JB's Guide to Dressing & Interview Attire [#permalink]
Great advice. I never thought about the black suit but now that you mention it, it makes perfect sense!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
The major problem I see with suits for men is that 90% of people wear suits that are too big. So even if you hit the Armani store, make sure it's your size. Do not rely on the sales guy or gal to tell you how you look, they would sell you the ugliest clothes if they could.

ONLY the leg length should be retouched, nothing else. If the sales rep starts pinning you all over the place to retouch the belt, sleeve length and what have you, he is simply destroying the cut of the suit. So choose another suit or lose/gain some weight to fit the proportions right. Go for slim fit cuts.

Black is perfectly fine for business, it's all about the fabric, you'll want to go for Italian garment if possible. I find matching shoes with grey suit is much harder. Brown shoes ($200+ pick Italian or British marksmanship) work well with navy blue suits. Black shoes does not always work out with grey suits.

Wear french cuffs only if you feel completely relaxed and have the proper attitude or you'll look like a cheap gekko.

And for christ sake so do not walk in with a laptop bag hanging on your shoulder! You are destroying the shoulder foam of the suit and people will consider you as a geek.

Million dollar tip: leave the jacket pockets stitched! Under no circumstance you shall put anything in these pockets!

Always leave the bottom button of your jacket unbuttoned, and before sitting down, remember to unbutton or you might tear the jacket.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
"No double windsor (screams pompous)"......... not always, if its a tight knot single/doubles are hard to differentiate.

See the problem with your post is that you cant get away with one or two of no no's on your list but not all of them obviously.

What if everything is up to your post' standards( Most of which i agree with) but then i have a tie bar. Thats not a big deal. Also most would say tie bars are conservative.

If a have a paisley silk tie, w/ matching pink pin stripe shirt and pocket square then that may not be a good look.

And why does everything have to SCREAM? all of this is opinion,

A blue shirt with contrasting cuffs screams executive? come on, no ones gonna care about that.You need to stop watching Wall Street over and over. haha

I appreciate the effort though. Kudos for that!
BSchool Forum Moderator
Send PM
jordanhendrix wrote:
A blue shirt with contrasting cuffs screams executive? come on, no ones gonna care about that.You need to stop watching Wall Street over and over. haha

When is the last time you saw someone wearing contrast cuffs and didn't think something negative to yourself? That look is too 1980s.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
The last time I saw one I told myself: "Damn they are coming back in fashion! I can't wear them anymore until people stop wearing them".
Current Student
Send PM
jbharris88 wrote:
jordanhendrix wrote:

When is the last time you saw someone wearing contrast cuffs and didn't think something negative to yourself? That look is too 1980s.

Sorry, I don't judge books by their covers or people by their shirts. That screams pretentious! Haha

Seriously though I know what you mean but have you ever tought that your sentiments towards a particular fashion trend may not be universal.

For what's it's worth I don't wear such shirts for no other reason than I don't like them. A shirt like that isn't make or break in anyway.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Send PM
jordanhendrix wrote:
jbharris88 wrote:
jordanhendrix wrote:

Sorry, I don't judge books by their covers or people by their shirts. That screams pretentious! Haha

Seriously though I know what you mean but have you ever tought that your sentiments towards a particular fashion trend may not be universal.

For what's it's worth I don't wear such shirts for no other reason than I don't like them. A shirt like that isn't make or break in anyway.

You may not agree, and I respect that, but in a cut throat environment like B school and beyond, why temp your fate? I don't speak for every industry, but I know in consulting we judge our peers, our bosses, and our clients by how they present themselves. You can rest assured that if you show up in my office with dirty shoes you will not be getting hired. Just march over to a site like styleforum.net and you'll see a huge mix of different industries with successful executive management that will cast the same type of judgments. The points above are that it's an easy formula to follow, so why go against the grain, especially if you are targeting jobs in conservative industries?
Current Student
Send PM
Dirty shoes? That's neither here nor their. Would a big four firm axe me on the color of my cuffs alone? You're missing the point playing it safe is fine and recommended but your opinion of what that is, is just that, an opinion. Either way I stand by the kudos I gave you for the post and agree: dirty shoes = no. White cuffed blue shirt, not as bad.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Look, we can debate fashion from now until eternity, but at the end of the day the only truth in fashion is that there are no absolute rules. There are, however, generally accepted standards for business style (which jbharris pretty well lays out in his original post). Do people deviate from those standards and still get a job, get promoted, etc? Yes. But, the more you deviate from those standards, the greater the risk that you will create a negative impression of yourself in the mind of the person sitting across the table from you.

For good or bad, the blue shirt with contrasting white collar is pretty much associated in younger people with type A banker types. If that's the impression you want to give someone, then go with it. But realize that that impression may not be favorable in all settings.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [1]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Kudos
Jerz wrote:
For good or bad, the blue shirt with contrasting white collar is pretty much associated in younger people with type A banker types.

We had people dressed like that during my summer internship.

For older partners, directors etc dressed like that, we were like - "Hmm, classy look..."

To fellow interns, we were like, "What a douche..."

But this one intern topped it all when he showed up on a friday wearing a Louis Vuitton loafers.... and a bowtie.
Current Student
Send PM
Thank you Jerz, I completely agree. These things are little more subjective than this shirt screams "douchebag" and this one screams "good worker"
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
As Jerz said, there are no rules - just conventions.

And the basic guideline is this: the lower you are on the totem pole of a company, the more you should stick to convention when it comes to attire, no matter how fashionable you may think you are. And if you have no fashion sense, then it's imperative you stick to convention.

Also, each industry will have a different set of conventions. If you're working on Wall Street (banking, PE, etc.) you can get away with french cuffs (but don't risk it in job interviews) even at the junior levels. In fact, bankers love to dress well (in the classic sense). So what the OP had mentioned is a good *general* guideline, but each industry will have a varying levels of conventions. In some industries, you can (or are expected to) be more fashion forward (fashion, advertising, media, film, music, tv). In others (like banking/PE) you are expected to dress classically well but not necessarily fashion forward. In others, if you dress a bit too well or too fashion forward, you'll stick out (read: tech, maybe some *ahem* industries in the midwest, etc.). And for some it's just casual and anything too formal will be "unconventional".

The more power/authority you have, the more leeway you have -- if you're Warren Buffet, you can come dressed as a chicken mascot and people will still take you seriously.

Fashion isn't just about individual self-expression. It's about showing a sense of respect for the context or circumstance - and without that respect for the conventions of the moment, you will come across as either "showing up" others (by being a little too decked out) or being disrespectful (by not dressing up enough). Think of funerals, weddings, graduations, etc -- and how you are expected to wear a certain kind of attire (that is also specific to a nationality/culture), otherwise you're showing no respect for the moment that is larger than your own individual taste and preference - you wear black to a funeral, and not pink because you want to make a fashion statement (or flip flops because hey, the guy's dead so what's the big deal).
BSchool Forum Moderator
Send PM
Nice addition Alex, thanks!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Marketing, Brand Management
Schools:Schulich class of 2012
 Q35  V48
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
I've studied fashion and worked in fashion, and I can tell you some flaws in your rules of dress.

The most glaring is telling someone not to wear slip on shoes and sticking exclusively to lace ups. The main reason being dress lace ups frequently come untied and shoes are one of the first things someone notices because they look you up and down and either start or end at your shoes. That, and slip on shoes are MUCH more in fashion than lace ups.

As far as accessories go, a class ring is more than welcome at a networking event and should be worn with the name of your school towards someone shaking your hand's perspective to see where you studied. Flashy socks are attention grabbers and when they match your tie, you look VERY put together. Pocket squares are in fashion right now and are a classic which won't go out of style.

As everyone else has mentioned, your tips are very conservative. Is this good? Sure, it's safe. Is it great? No. If you stick to a classic navy suit, you look like someone who went to JC Penny and asked someone to help you buy your first suit. You don't know how to dress if you only go conservative. You look like every other MBA who walks through the door and wishes he went to Harvard. If you show up to a marketing interview in plain ol' dress clothes, don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Don't get me wrong, your tips are great for the typical MBA who doesn't know how to dress (I know the fashion police would have a field day at my school), but don't fall into the trap of conservative being better. These tips would work if this was 1970, but nowadays, recruiters don't mind excitement in clothing. If you're put together and fashion forward, you rock your look. If you show up with an orange Ted Baker tie on top of a green $20 George shirt, you'll look like an idiot. You can tell a cheap suit from a mile away.

And fashion does play a major part in your presentation. People make up their opinions of you in the first seven seconds of interaction. If you look boring, sorry to tell but, you're boring.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
The thread is about Interviews, so it is preferable to drop the class ring. In a few of my past interviews I was wearing my big class ring, and I could tell the person in front of me kept staring at it. I wished I hadn't brought it.

Slip on shoes are fine, but I'm afraid people will buy "tasseled loafers" and look like idiots. It is preferable to have laces and tie a double knot. I have seen beautiful Hugo Boss loafers tough.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
krussell wrote:
I've studied fashion and worked in fashion, and I can tell you some flaws in your rules of dress.

The most glaring is telling someone not to wear slip on shoes and sticking exclusively to lace ups. The main reason being dress lace ups frequently come untied and shoes are one of the first things someone notices because they look you up and down and either start or end at your shoes. That, and slip on shoes are MUCH more in fashion than lace ups.

As far as accessories go, a class ring is more than welcome at a networking event and should be worn with the name of your school towards someone shaking your hand's perspective to see where you studied. Flashy socks are attention grabbers and when they match your tie, you look VERY put together. Pocket squares are in fashion right now and are a classic which won't go out of style.

As everyone else has mentioned, your tips are very conservative. Is this good? Sure, it's safe. Is it great? No. If you stick to a classic navy suit, you look like someone who went to JC Penny and asked someone to help you buy your first suit. You don't know how to dress if you only go conservative. You look like every other MBA who walks through the door and wishes he went to Harvard. If you show up to a marketing interview in plain ol' dress clothes, don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Don't get me wrong, your tips are great for the typical MBA who doesn't know how to dress (I know the fashion police would have a field day at my school), but don't fall into the trap of conservative being better. These tips would work if this was 1970, but nowadays, recruiters don't mind excitement in clothing. If you're put together and fashion forward, you rock your look. If you show up with an orange Ted Baker tie on top of a green $20 George shirt, you'll look like an idiot. You can tell a cheap suit from a mile away.

And fashion does play a major part in your presentation. People make up their opinions of you in the first seven seconds of interaction. If you look boring, sorry to tell but, you're boring.

There's a difference between fashion in the fashion industry and business fashion. While the advice you give is certainly applicable to certain business fields (advertising, for example), much of the business world is still very conservative when it comes to dress and many companies do, in fact, mind excitement in clothing. If you're interviewing at Goldman, you probably don't want to be remembered as the guy with the flashy socks.
Current Student
Send PM
^^^ at least you'd give them a reason a smile for once :)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4