Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:12 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.82
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: $ Finance $
Schools:Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
 Q50  V37
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GPA: 3.4 Ivy
WE 1: 3 years for major bank
Send PM
Re: Age [#permalink]
bryantmichaels wrote:
Age is irrelevant when it comes to b-school. I had people in my class who were 22 and one guy who was 58. I was 30 when I went back. It's not about your age, but about what you have done with your time. Sometimes being older can be an advantage (maturity, perspective, experience). This applies to any school.

hope this encourages you.

I'm sure you know your stuff, but there appear to be many people who disagree with you on this, including other well respected admissions consultants. Why do you disagree with these people?

Don't get me wrong, I know people of all ages GET INTO all schools, but that isn't the same thing as "age makes no difference," so I'm curious about the disagreement.

I mean, after all there is this graph, taken from Harvard's admissions blog:

It's possible that there were very few people who applied as older applicants, but that's a little hard to believe given that (a) it's harvard (b) no emba and (c) it's hard to believe that THAT few older people applied.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Tough to say overall, but just looking through some of the app threads w/spreadsheets, almost everyone fits between 3 and 7 years of WE. Small sample, but without a good dataset, who knows. If people want to apply to HBS, they should and see what happens.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GPA: 3.4 Ivy
WE 1: 3 years for major bank
Send PM
method wrote:
Tough to say overall, but just looking through some of the app threads w/spreadsheets, almost everyone fits between 3 and 7 years of WE. Small sample, but without a good dataset, who knows. If people want to apply to HBS, they should and see what happens.

Sure. I agree. But it makes me go "whoa" when an admissions consultant is saying that age is irrelevant as that's pretty far from the common wisdom. Common wisdom can be faulty, of course.

I'd just hate to give some 32-year-old investment banker hope of getting into HBS. For one, false hope isn't a great thing. And depending on how cynical I feel, I might think that an admissions consultant who wants someone to hire them might be giving false hope to have an older person hire them.
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: $ Finance $
Schools:Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
 Q50  V37
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Send PM
Jeanette, I think as far as HBS is concerned age probably does play a role. The question is if all schools look down upon older applicants. Surely the older applicant pool is smaller, much smaller - personal, family considerations etc. But I feel if you can prove that you bring something unique to the table you can get in. Plus I am sure if you belong to some well known business family - those things matter too...
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
I don't think anyone is disagreeing to the fact that all kinds of people get into b-school, including those 22-year-olds and 50-year-olds. I truly believe that if you have something different to bring to the table, by all means, apply and I hope to be sitting next to someone who's both wise and experienced, regardless of age.

However, I have to admit one thing though: when I read what the admission consultant said in his reply that age is irrelevant, I twitched a bit as well. That's a pretty strong statement.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Bryant is just trying to tap the very fertile geriatric market.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
bakfed wrote:
However, I have to admit one thing though: when I read what the admission consultant said in his reply that age is irrelevant, I twitched a bit as well. That's a pretty strong statement.

I agree. Age is not at all "irrelevant" in business school admissions, or in getting a job afterwards. That being said, no one should let their age keep them from applying.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
even i am a older applicant...hence i want to be sure abt the average experience of the present batch before i apply to any schools ...
one thing is for sure is that age should not demotivate u from applying to B school..
but in mba schools u learn from fellow pears rather than just from books. it would be great to have fellows with work ex whose thinking process is different from me..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
 Q49  V41
WE 1: 1 Year Research & Development
WE 2: 7.5 Years IT Consultant
Send PM