Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:13 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
   1  ...  8   9   10   11   12  ...  185   
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford R1, Wharton R1, Chicago R1, UCLA R1, Cornell R2
 Q49  V45
GPA: 3.96
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Finance & Strategy
Schools:Tuck, Ross, Sloan, Chicago, Kellogg & Darden
 Q47  V40
WE 1: Energy (Sales)
WE 2: Energy (Corporate Development)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: Calling All 2011 Booth Applicants!! [#permalink]
Nick2010 wrote:
Hi! Anyone knows if it´s normal for the Chicago application status to say "Online Application In Progress", even after you have submitted the application, paid the fee and got your recommendations sent?

I believe that it is. I recently received an email saying that my application status has changed to "Complete," which signifies a verification that they have everything they need. It took a couple of days for that status change to happen.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Finance & Strategy
Schools:Tuck, Ross, Sloan, Chicago, Kellogg & Darden
 Q47  V40
WE 1: Energy (Sales)
WE 2: Energy (Corporate Development)
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks, then I will wait till monday before doing anything...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [1]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Kudos
Interviews notifications on November 10th.

Dear XXXXX,

Your status has changed to "Complete". The next step in the process is to allow for the admissions committee to review your application. All applicants who are invited to interview will be notified by 5:00pm, November 10th.

The University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Office of Admissions and Financial Aid
5807 South Woodlawn Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60637
voice 773.702.7369 | Fax 773.702.9085
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
Regarding the first essay, I see that each of the three-four subquestions have a 300 word limit for a total of 900-1200 words, greater than the usual 500 to 750 words. However, when answering these subquestions, I noticed that I am averaging only 150-225 words per subquestion. To reach 300 words per section, I will have to provide significantly more detail than I have in my other applications.

Have people filled out their answers to reach the 300 word maximum? Is it acceptable to be only at 2/3s of the limit and answer the question concisely? I am unsure of the optimal strategy here. Advice here would be awesome.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Kudos
I would try to get close to 300. More real estate space only helps your story/cause at the end.

If you're struggling to get only +/- 200 words, I recommend starting from stratch and not "piggyback" off another school's essay.

I have approx 320 words per section. (Trying to trim them down so I meet the 300 max).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [1]
Given Kudos: 288
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Kudos
gkumar wrote:
Regarding the first essay, I see that each of the three-four subquestions have a 300 word limit for a total of 900-1200 words, greater than the usual 500 to 750 words. However, when answering these subquestions, I noticed that I am averaging only 150-225 words per subquestion. To reach 300 words per section, I will have to provide significantly more detail than I have in my other applications.

Have people filled out their answers to reach the 300 word maximum? Is it acceptable to be only at 2/3s of the limit and answer the question concisely? I am unsure of the optimal strategy here. Advice here would be awesome.

Hmm, being 30% under is definitely low. I'm currently over 30% in each of the three sections, trying to whittle it down to just 10% over. :(

https://mbastudio.net/tag/word-limit/

Can you go under the limit? Similarly, I advise clients not to go less than -5% on any essay. In one sense, like all professional communicators, I believe strongly in “say what you have to say; say it once, strongly and clearly and then stop talking.” This is the royal road to more powerful communications. Certainly there’s no merit in padding, wafffling, and repeating yourself. But admissions essays are relatively short pieces of writing, and you — if you merit a place at a top b-school — are a multifaceted, talented individual with an valuable track record, and if you can’t find things to say to take up the word count this in itself flags that you have not been able to (or haven’t bothered to) properly investigate your own motivations or fully argue your merits.
Current Student
Send PM
w103psp wrote:
gkumar wrote:

Hmm, being 30% under is definitely low. I'm currently over 30% in each of the three sections, trying to whittle it down to just 10% over. :(

https://mbastudio.net/tag/word-limit/

Can you go under the limit? Similarly, I advise clients not to go less than -5% on any essay. In one sense, like all professional communicators, I believe strongly in “say what you have to say; say it once, strongly and clearly and then stop talking.” This is the royal road to more powerful communications. Certainly there’s no merit in padding, wafffling, and repeating yourself. But admissions essays are relatively short pieces of writing, and you — if you merit a place at a top b-school — are a multifaceted, talented individual with an valuable track record, and if you can’t find things to say to take up the word count this in itself flags that you have not been able to (or haven’t bothered to) properly investigate your own motivations or fully argue your merits.

Thanks w103psp and adalfu! Although my sub-essays are good and answer the question, your reasoning makes sense. I am going to fill out my sub-essays with a more detailed story by starting from scratch this weekend!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 104
Concentration: Finance; Entrepreneurship
Schools:MIT Sloan Class of 2013
 Q49  V36
Send PM
When I transferred my essays in the online application, for some reason question marks appeared instead of apostrophes. Did anybody else experience the same thing?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford R1, Wharton R1, Chicago R1, UCLA R1, Cornell R2
 Q49  V45
GPA: 3.96
Send PM
Kudos
BruceLee wrote:
When I transferred my essays in the online application, for some reason question marks appeared instead of apostrophes. Did anybody else experience the same thing?

I had the same problem at first. I think it had something to do with copying and pasting the responses into the text boxes they provide. I went back and changed all the question marks to apostrophes manually. They were still apostrophes when I printed out the PDF of my final application. Hope that helps.
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V36
Send PM
earlycareerMBA wrote:
BruceLee wrote:

I had the same problem at first. I think it had something to do with copying and pasting the responses into the text boxes they provide. I went back and changed all the question marks to apostrophes manually. They were still apostrophes when I printed out the PDF of my final application. Hope that helps.

Yeah, I am doing the same thing. Thanks
Director
Director
Send PM
earlycareerMBA wrote:
BruceLee wrote:

Same issue and same solution for me. I'm not sure why some of the schools elect not to use ApplyYourself. I've had issues with all of my schools that have chosen to use alternate software.
Current Student
Send PM
I actually prefer Booth's interface over ApplyYourSelf. ApplyYourself doesn't allow you to copy and paste materials from documents, especially for awards, duties, etc.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Hey Guys

Got a question!

I am thinking to start my re-application to chicago booth. Do i need to create a new log in or can i use my old log in and start a new application. It seems like Chicago booth online application allows me to use my old log in since my past application is shown below in a separate window.

Thanks for your help!
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V36
Send PM
lionvish wrote:
Hey Guys

Got a question!

I am thinking to start my re-application to chicago booth. Do i need to create a new log in or can i use my old log in and start a new application. It seems like Chicago booth online application allows me to use my old log in since my past application is shown below in a separate window.

Thanks for your help!

Yes, you should use your old login.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks BruceLee! appreciate the quick response
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi guys,
Is there any difference between R1 and R2 in terms of admission rate?
Director
Director
Send PM
zinfandel wrote:
Hi guys,
Is there any difference between R1 and R2 in terms of admission rate?

I don't believe that there is a significant difference for Booth.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  8   9   10   11   12  ...  185   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts