Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Entrepreneuship- Sustainable Manufacturing
Schools:Admitted: IESE($$),HEC, RSM,Esade
 Q43  V27 GMAT 2: 700  Q45  V41
GPA: 2.1
WE 1: 3.5 years international
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance & Strategic Management
Schools:Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Send PM
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink]
work2win wrote:
Could someone provide more information on the International student supplement.How important is it to show certification of ability to fund first year of study while submitting the application? what would qualify as a certification ? would it be alright if we just mention the sources ( savings + parents funding + loans ) ?

replies would be highly appreciated !

Yeah this piece of the application is really confusing! I'm not sure what theyre trying to get at through this section. But I think the key thing to note here is the last line in the instructions:

"The information contained in the International Student Supplement does not impact your admission to NYU Stern."

I guess my question is, if I anticipate paying half the first year cost myself and half by loans do I answer "No" to the following question?

"Can you completely support your first year of study at NYU Stern, estimated at US$80,000 for tuition, fees, and living expenses?"
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
staind wrote:
I guess my question is, if I anticipate paying half the first year cost myself and half by loans do I answer "No" to the following question?

"Can you completely support your first year of study at NYU Stern, estimated at US$80,000 for tuition, fees, and living expenses?"

Strictly speaking, you should answer no (the instructions say that you should not include loans for visa purposes). However, I really don't think this page is binding -- it's not your visa application after all, and NYU doesn't ask you for proof. I guess the point of this page is to ensure that you've thought through the costs involved. I just said that I have all the funds myself, even though part is coming from me and part is coming from family (there doesn't seem to be a way to show this split).
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Thanks staind and brainhurt for the replies !

yes the last line in the instructions is encouraging.

I am not quite sure of what the answer should be for the below question.

As brainhurt mentioned It could be that NYU wants to ensure we have thought through the costs involved.

Maybe someone who has been through the process could throw some light on this.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
3underscore wrote:
The earlier you submit, the earlier your application is likely to go complete (all the bits gathered together in the same file). The sooner that happens, the sooner it can be reviewed.

Ergo, getting things sorted earlier means it can be reviewed at the soonest opportunity. Submitting 15 Nov is unlikely to get put together before a couple of weeks have passed (dependent on a ridiculous number of variables I can't care to mention).

So... yes, there is an advantage of a shape or form.

Anyone close to submission? I have a visit to Stern scheduled on 11/02, and hope to submit a day or two after that.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Hi all,

I am pretty sure that this may have been answered but could not find the information in the thread. For essay 3, if we do a powerpoint, do they print out the powerpoint or view it on the computer? I know Chicago prints it in color but was not sure on how Stern does it. Just curious in the off chance that I go crazy and use animation in the powerpoint...

Thanks!
Current Student
Send PM
RFMBA2 wrote:
Hi all,

I am pretty sure that this may have been answered but could not find the information in the thread. For essay 3, if we do a powerpoint, do they print out the powerpoint or view it on the computer? I know Chicago prints it in color but was not sure on how Stern does it. Just curious in the off chance that I go crazy and use animation in the powerpoint...

Thanks!

This brings up a good question. I know we shouldn't recycle the Booth presentation; but should we avoid powerpoint completely?
Current Student
Send PM
w103psp wrote:
RFMBA2 wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks!

This brings up a good question. I know we shouldn't recycle the Booth presentation; but should we avoid powerpoint completely?

I remember from my visit that Stern prints out the app so there is no guarantee that the Essay 3 will be viewed on a PC. Take the safe approach. And yea, definitely don't recycle Booth's PPT, especially if you make it 4 sections (kinda obvious as said by an AdCom)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
gkumar wrote:
w103psp wrote:
RFMBA2 wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks!

I remember from my visit that Stern prints out the app so there is no guarantee that the Essay 3 will be viewed on a PC. Take the safe approach. And yea, definitely don't recycle Booth's PPT, especially if you make it 4 sections (kinda obvious as said by an AdCom)

w103psp - good point, do you think that we should just avoid powerpoint altogether when it comes to Stern?
Current Student
Send PM
RFMBA2 wrote:
gkumar wrote:
w103psp wrote:

w103psp - good point, do you think that we should just avoid powerpoint altogether when it comes to Stern?

My plan is to use the Booth idea, but present it in a non-powerpoint format. Stern offers so much flexibility: print, online or multimedia.

https://www.stern.nyu.edu/AcademicPrograms/FullTime/Admissions/ApplicationInstructions/Essays/index.htm
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Booth R1 (WL), NYU R1 (WL), Kellogg JD/MBA R2, Tepper R2, Ross R2 (admit)
GPA: 3.4
WE 1: Mortgage
Send PM
Count me in for R1!

I was planning on making a Stern visit next weekend but I don't think I'll be able to take the time off work. With essay 2 placing such heavy focus on the Stern connection, do you guys think a campus visit is necessary? I'm planning on relying heavily on alumni/current student interaction, but not sure if this will be enough.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
gkumar wrote:
bluecollarhero wrote:
Does anyone have a list of NYU's recommender questions?

My recommender is asking for them and I can't seem to find them on the NYU website.

This might help?
w4.stern.nyu.edu/emplibrary/Recommendation%20Form.pdf

exactly what i was looking for...thank you!!
Current Student
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Essay 3 says: "Please describe yourself to your MBA classmates."

Is it safe to assume then that we can pretend as if we are already a part of the 2013 class in our presentation?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
staind wrote:

Is it safe to assume then that we can pretend as if we are already a part of the 2013 class in our presentation?

They ask you to "be creative," so I'm sure using alternate viewpoints such as already being accepted is totally fine.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Moss wrote:
staind wrote:

They ask you to "be creative," so I'm sure using alternate viewpoints such as already being accepted is totally fine.

I agree with Moss. I was at the Stern event in DC last night and one thing that they spoke about was that you can "feel free to be creative." They said some of the best Essay 3's they have had are just written essays. Also, I would say that if you are describing yourself to your classmates, then it is inferred that you are in.
Current Student
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Thanks Moss and RFMBA2.. that's what I inferred as well.. just wanted to be sure.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Investment Management
 Q50  V40
GPA: Dismal
WE 1: Information Technology (9 yrs)
Send PM
gkumar wrote:
Submitted for Round 1. Good luck to everyone!

gkumar,

Did you submit just essay 1 and the re-applicant essay this time around, or did you do all four of them ? How about the recommendations ?

I'm thinking of sending in all 4, only one recommendation though - from a third person (former manager).
Current Student
Send PM
sj0509 wrote:
gkumar wrote:
Submitted for Round 1. Good luck to everyone!

gkumar,

Did you submit just essay 1 and the re-applicant essay this time around, or did you do all four of them ? How about the recommendations ?

I'm thinking of sending in all 4, only one recommendation though - from a third person (former manager).

I did just the reapplicant essay and the one recommendation. I spoke with AdCom and they said to follow directions. *shrugs* I finished NYU early as it's among my top choices so I submitted early. Keeping fingers crossed.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  110   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts