Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Consulting, Strategy
Schools:Booth
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: How is NYU for Management Consulting + Finance [#permalink]
Ha ha, i dont think anyone has an opinion.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [3]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Kudos
Can you explain your question better?

a) most recruiting is when you are on a fixed curriculum so it provides the core for either consulting or banking

b) applying to Consultancies and IB is of course possible at both schools, but the prep and networking involved in both would be crippling

c) you have a head, arms, legs and no heart? You are suitable for a career in Consulting or IB without taking any classes.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Lol, you got kudos for the last line.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
In all honesty - when you are recruited as an intern there are no distinguishable classes to have taken to get in. All schools (even Chicago)have some class hierarchy that means you will have to cover the core bases first.

After recruiting is done you can get more into classes tailored to assist with your summer internship.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thanks underscore, it makes sense i guess.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
 Q49  V34
GPA: 3.61
WE 1: 6 years - Telecom
Send PM
How is NYU for finance outside of the United States?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I'm not sure how it is in terms of consulting but it is excellent in terms of finance both inside and outside of the US. With NYU, you get access to the top of the NYC financial world and end up having a ton of connections to firms that are also outside of the US as well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Stern is good for finance.. esp with it's amazing location. You get access to wall st. and connections, etc. It's not as good for management consulting. It's not bad.. but McKinsey/Bain/BCG will go to HBS, Stanford, Wharton first, then MIT/Tuck/Columbia.. then Stern.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ps. take a look at the employment stats.. they might tell you what % got the big 3 management consulting firms.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
alanshore wrote:
It's not bad.. but McKinsey/Bain/BCG will go to HBS, Stanford, Wharton first, then MIT/Tuck/Columbia.. then Stern.

Companies don't recruit like that. This obviously is a guess made based on us news rankings. Consulting firms plan ahead and come up with hiring quota before the recruiting season. They certainty don't go to school x first, hire x number of students and then move onto another school.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
nink wrote:
alanshore wrote:
It's not bad.. but McKinsey/Bain/BCG will go to HBS, Stanford, Wharton first, then MIT/Tuck/Columbia.. then Stern.

Companies don't recruit like that. This obviously is a guess made based on us news rankings. Consulting firms plan ahead and come up with hiring quota before the recruiting season. They certainty don't go to school x first, hire x number of students and then move onto another school.

Posted from my mobile device

sorry, you're right. they don't go to certain schools "first". i just meant they have a stronger preference for some schools than others. im not saying stern doesn't place any into those companies.. im just saying its a smaller percentage and relative to their finance placement, the management consulting placement is a bit weaker.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
alanshore wrote:
i just meant they have a stronger preference for some schools than others. im not saying stern doesn't place any into those companies.. im just saying its a smaller percentage and relative to their finance placement, the management consulting placement is a bit weaker.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "they have a stronger preference"? If a company goes to Stern, that means it has a preference for it. How do you measure whether this preference is stronger as compared with Tuck for instance? I would say that percentage of people hired is a weak indicator of preference. The weaker percentage of placements reflects the career interests of people going to Stern in general - most go there to get a job in finance. It's not like the firms go to campus and say, 'Well, let's hire 3 people from Stern and 15 from Tuck just because we like Tuck better and therefore even if there are 10 qualified people at Stern, we should reject 7 of them'. It doesn't work like that. If McKinsey goes to Stern, but doesn't go to the University of Delaware, I would say that it prefers Stern. If it goes to Stern at Tuck and hires different numbers, I can't conclude that the difference is because the company prefers one school over another.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
sniperssk wrote:
alanshore wrote:
i just meant they have a stronger preference for some schools than others. im not saying stern doesn't place any into those companies.. im just saying its a smaller percentage and relative to their finance placement, the management consulting placement is a bit weaker.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "they have a stronger preference"? If a company goes to Stern, that means it has a preference for it. How do you measure whether this preference is stronger as compared with Tuck for instance? I would say that percentage of people hired is a weak indicator of preference. The weaker percentage of placements reflects the career interests of people going to Stern in general - most go there to get a job in finance. It's not like the firms go to campus and say, 'Well, let's hire 3 people from Stern and 15 from Tuck just because we like Tuck better and therefore even if there are 10 qualified people at Stern, we should reject 7 of them'. It doesn't work like that. If McKinsey goes to Stern, but doesn't go to the University of Delaware, I would say that it prefers Stern. If it goes to Stern at Tuck and hires different numbers, I can't conclude that the difference is because the company prefers one school over another.

I'm saying Mckinsey is a super elitist company and all things being equal, they want as many HBS, Stanford and Wharton grads as possible. Are you saying that McKinsey really doesn't care what school is on the name of your diploma as long as its top X? come on. its mckinsey.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
alanshore wrote:
I'm saying Mckinsey is a super elitist company and all things being equal, they want as many HBS, Stanford and Wharton grads as possible. Are you saying that McKinsey really doesn't care what school is on the name of your diploma as long as its top X? come on. its mckinsey.

McKinsey cares what the name of your school is because they care about selectivity - it's all about efficiency of the recruiting process and going to a school where candidates are preselected. The schools they have decided to recruit at are the schools they care about. I'm not saying schools are equal, but that percentage of hires doesn't mean preference of companies for a certain school, but rather how many qualified people they found there. I don't see you showing any evidence to the contrary. If they want only HBS and Stanford and Wharton, I don't see why they don't just recruit only there - HBS and Wharton alone have large enough classes. If they don't want Stern that much, why not stop wasting money on recruiting events there?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
yeah thats a really good point. i dont have the answer. i mentioned to BlueRobin to look at the % just as a general indicator.. I know a large % of Stern is interested in finance. I guess I was just saying that for its relative ranking and general prestige, Stern places very well in finance jobs. NYU has an excellent M-Fin program, Physics grad program, etc. and it's very well-regarded when it comes to quant jobs. To my knowledge (based on knowing people who are in management consulting and just reading about schools) its not AS well-regarded when it comes time to recruit for M/B/B. I know its possible a smaller % of Sternies are interested in management consulting than say Sloan.. but I'm just saying generally speaking, if you want a top finance gig, Stern is good and you probably have a pretty good chance. If you definitely want M/B/B, I think it's less likely.

I don't have any specific information to back this up.. it's just the general feeling I've gotten from speaking to b-school students.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
It's true that Stern in not known for MC. I actually don't know how many people get those jobs, at least for M/B/B. Stern doesn't reveal that data and I think it's because it doesn't want to create the impression that they are not strong in MC and discourage people interested in that to apply there. I would say that the percentage has no DIRECT bearing on your chances to be hired provided that the company comes to campus. The number of people interested in a certain career at the school make a difference INDIRECTLY - at schools where a certain career is popular, you will have more resources in terms of alumni, MBA2s to share experience with you, materials to help you prepare for interviews etc. These things can make a difference, but are not deal breakers.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 242 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
Question,

Looking at all MBA schools the first year curriculum appears to be very similar. When recruiting for IB occurs, would you have learned almost everything you need for the job in the core curriculum?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2