Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:35 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, Int. Business
Schools:HKUST, MBS, USC, Hawaii, UCSD
GMAT 2: 660  Q39  V41
GPA: 3.2
WE 1: Education
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Re: International/Global MBAs [#permalink]
UPGRAYEDD wrote:
lagomez wrote:
Bradley07 wrote:
I am interested in learning more about international mba programs, and I am currently researching some schools now. I know that schools like Duke and Chicago are strong in these fields, but I believe that I may not be able to get in those schools, so I am more interested to hear from anyone who knows about other great international mba programs. I am currently living in East Asia, and I would like to either focus on this region(China specifically) or Europe. Though, Latin America is also of interest, and I do speak Spanish.

I am looking to learn more career prospects in Asia, Europe and the States, along with general thoughts, with the following programs:

1)Thunderbird
2)University of South Carolina (they seem especially strong with their excellent language tracks)
3)Georgia State: 14 month program culminating in an mba from GS, a masters from a school in France, and a certificate from a school in Brasil. It looks promising, but it is a relatively unknown school.
4) Monterrey Institute
5) UHawaii -China focus
*** Any other schools you would recommend in Europe/Asia/USA.

Thanks and look forward to any responses.

Monterrey Institute? As in Monterrey Mexico? I'd stay away from that place if I were you. Too much violence in my opinion. You probably fine on campus, but still, I would avoid it. Sad to say however.

I'm pretty sure he means the Monterey Institute of International Studies, in California.

https://www.miis.edu/

Sorry, got confused with the two Rs
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Yes, I mean Monterey Institute of International Studies. Sorry for the confusion. I didn't even realize that it only had one r in CA. I actually studied at TEC de Monterrey - Queretaro during undergrad, but that is not the school I am referring to.

Any thoughts, suggestions from anyone? I am looking for opinions, facts or personal insights from anyone. I have done a fair amount of research on my own already, and I am just asking as another source of information.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, Int. Business
Schools:HKUST, MBS, USC, Hawaii, UCSD
GMAT 2: 660  Q39  V41
GPA: 3.2
WE 1: Education
Send PM
Hawaii and Monterey are both very small niche programs which place a strong emphasis on learning foreign languages. You will learn a very high level of Chinese at UH or Monterey. But that comes at a price..

The alumni networks at these schools are nonexistent. Hawaii only has 5 students in their China focus MBA. So you need to take that into consideration.

Thunderbird has a real big alumni network but the amount of language study will be much lower than at Hawaii or Monterey.

So what do you see yourself doing after graduation? How much Chinese do you expect to be using in your career? If you want a career that demands fluency I'd focus on Hawaii or Monterey. If you see yourself using more English or even your Spanish skills in Asia I would focus my application on Thunderbird.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Concentration: Operations & supply chain management; alternative energy
Schools:Ross (admit after WL), Foster (admit), Wharton (ding), Thunderbird (admit)
 Q44  V44 GMAT 2: 740  Q47  V44
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: US Army logistics
WE 2: Client management & business development (Russian Auditing & accounting firm)
WE 3: Sales for renewable energy firm
Send PM
My impression of Monterrey Institute of Int'l Studies (MIIS) [#permalink]
If you're pursuing a language-related job (i.e. translator), then MIIS is second-to-none. If you want a career in international relations (i.e. diplomacy, policy analysis, global non-profit, etc), then MIIS would also be a decent choice.

But to be objective, I do have an unemployed friend who is an alum of MIIS' international policy studies program, so I guess I shouldn't comment prematurely about their competence in the IR field. There is also the recent scandal of one of their faculty members being a fraud. Apparently MIIS needs to improve its background checking processes for its faculty.

I'm too new of a member to post links, but you guys can google the phrase "MIIS Bill Hillar fraud" to find out more about this.

But as far as MBA is concerned, I'd stay away from that place (again... unless you want to concentrate on non-profit management). I spoke to a few MIIS students & alumni, they didn't have a whole lot of positive things to say about the MBA program. Even the student ambassador, who was supposed to promote the school, told me that the quality of their career services office was... underwhelming, to say the least. Furthermore, their lack of published in-depth employment statistics is not a very encouraging sign. Moreover, while Monterrey offers a very comfortable seaside small town environment, its not exactly a convenient location in terms of professional networking in the business sphere. The policy & language scene is another story. The Naval Post-grad School is located nearby, and so is the Defense Language Institute.

Bottom line, for those looking for an international MBA, look elsewhere first (start with Thunderbird, its been #1 in the int'l biz niche for over 15 years); if you're looking for translations or international studies, keep this school on your backup list, & I do mean BACKUP because admissions is very easy; this isn't a selective school at all.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
I have looked at Thunderbird and spoke to a couple of their recruiters. It seems like a very good school with many international students.
The only concern that I have is their extremely low placement rate. According to the Financial Times, only 40% had found jobs 3 months after graduation. I tried to find some numbers on the Thunderbird website, but I couldn't find this stat.
It doesn't really make sense that this school is ranked #1 for international business, but has 40% placement rate.

Thouths?
GMAT Club Bot