Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:50 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Work/Rate Problemsx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 395 [394]
Given Kudos: 13
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618698 [296]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64890 [130]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: SPG
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [32]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Re: Word Translations - Rates & Work [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks

1) does not tell us anything about Y. INSUFFICIENT

2) machine X produced twice as much as Y did i.e. did \(\frac{2}{3}\) of the work.

\(\frac{2}{3}\) work required 4 hours

1 complete work requires \(\frac{4*3}{2} = 6\) hours

Answer: B

HTH
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64890 [26]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
cgl7780 wrote:
Thank you that clears it up, I was timing myself so trying to get through the problem in 2min or less. When I read the two statements I came to the exact same conclusion you did on statement 1; I can determine exactly how many bottles machine X made, but I don't know how many bottles = 1 lot, Insufficient.

However in reading statement 2 I felt it wasn't enough to answer the question by itself (Machine X produced twice as many bottles as Y) I didn't have a rate or a total, However, from statement 1, I could get an exact answer of how many Machine X produced, then simply divide by 2 to get the amount Machine Y produced. Adding these two together will give me the total bottles in one lot. With both statements I have all the information I need to determine how long it would take Machine X to fill the lot by itself because now I have it's rate and the total number of bottles in one lot. So I chose "C" Both statements together are sufficient

How could this logic be wrong?

:)
Word of caution in DS questions. One trick they use often is that they give you partial information in Statement (1), they give the rest in statement (II) so you think, "Of course, answer is an easy (C)." Mind you, if it seems to be an easy (C), go back to the question, read it again and then try and solve it using statement (II) alone, Try to 'wipe' statement (I) from your mind for the time being.
Here, I don't need to know how many bottles Machine A produced in total. I only need to know how many hours it will take to fill the lot. Since it filled 2/3rd in 4 hrs, it will the rest 1/3 in 2 hrs.
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 395 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Kudos
Thank you that clears it up, I was timing myself so trying to get through the problem in 2min or less. When I read the two statements I came to the exact same conclusion you did on statement 1; I can determine exactly how many bottles machine X made, but I don't know how many bottles = 1 lot, Insufficient.

However in reading statement 2 I felt it wasn't enough to answer the question by itself (Machine X produced twice as many bottles as Y) I didn't have a rate or a total, However, from statement 1, I could get an exact answer of how many Machine X produced, then simply divide by 2 to get the amount Machine Y produced. Adding these two together will give me the total bottles in one lot. With both statements I have all the information I need to determine how long it would take Machine X to fill the lot by itself because now I have it's rate and the total number of bottles in one lot. So I chose "C" Both statements together are sufficient

How could this logic be wrong?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks Bunuel! I like your work/rate resume. It is really helpful. +1
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618698 [4]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Re: Machines X and V produced identical bottles at different [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bumping for review and further discussion*. Get a kudos point for an alternative solution!

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Theory on work/rate problems: work-word-problems-made-easy-87357.html
All DS work/rate problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=46
All PS work/rate problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=66
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [3]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
4R = X

3R* = Total - X

4R = 2(3R*)

R* = 4R/6 = 2/3R

------------------------

3R* = Total - 4R

2R = Total - 4R

6R = Total

Answer: 6. B.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [6]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT Date: 06-11-2013
GPA: 3.5
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Stmt 1 : Machine X produced 30 bottles per minute hence in 4 hrs i.e. 240 minutes how many did machine X produce?

(30 * 240) = 7200 bottles

But we don’t know the exact size of the production lot so while we know X’s work rate, we don’t know how many hrs it will take for X to fill up the production lot.

Hence this stmt is insufficient.

Stmt 2 : Let a be the number of bottle machine Y produces in 3 hrs

Machine X produced twice as many bottles in 4 hours as Machine Y produced in 3 hours

Then 2a is the number of bottles machine X produced in 4 hrs

Hence the total lot size = a + 2a = 3a

If X produces 2a bottles ibn 4 hrs then how many hrs will it take to produce 3a bottles?

(3a * 4)/2a = 6 hrs

Answer : B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [3]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Send PM
Kudos