Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 240 [8]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618797 [0]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64899 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1422 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Send PM
Re: If x, y, and z are integers greater than 0 and x = y + z, what is the [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
amirdubai1982 wrote:
Question: If x, y, and z are integers greater than 0 and x = y + z, what is the value of ?

(1) (x-y)/y=4/5
(2) z/y=4/5

Question should be: If x, y, and z are integers greater than 0 and x=y+z, what is the value of (y-z)/y?

\(\frac{y-z}{y}=1-\frac{z}{y}=?\) So, basically the question asks about the value of \(\frac{z}{y}\).

(1) \(\frac{x-y}{y}=\frac{4}{5}\) --> cross multiply --> \(5x-5y=4y\) --> \(5x=9y\) --> as \(x=y+z\) (or as \(5x=5y+5z\)) then \(9y=5y+5z\) --> \(4y=5z\) --> \(\frac{z}{y}=\frac{4}{5}\). Sufficient.

(2) \(\frac{z}{y}=\frac{4}{5}\), directly gives the value of the ratio we need. Sufficient.

Answer: D.

Do we always have to reduce ratio's to their lowest forms?

What I did was this, please tell me why this reasoning is wrong.

we need to find the value of \(\frac{y-z}{y}\) or \(1- \frac{y}{z}\) so we need to find the value of
\(\frac{y}{z}\)

(1)\(\frac{x-y}{y} = \frac{4}{5}\)

\(\frac{x}{y} -1 = \frac{4}{5}\) ,\(\frac{x}{y} = \frac{4}{5} + 1\), \(\frac{x}{y}= \frac{9}{5}\)

now given x= y+z so if \(\frac{x}{y} = \frac{9}{5}\) then we can take x= 9 and y=5 then z=4 here \(\frac{z}{y} =\frac{4}{5}\)

but if \(\frac{x}{y} = \frac{9}{5}\)then we can also take x= 18 and z=10 can't we? then z= 8 here \(\frac{z}{y} =\frac{8}{10}\)

So I thought statement 1 did not give us the actual values of x and y, so I thought there were many possibilities hence marked statement as insufficient.

so this was my confusion , I though since we got a ratio at the end of simplification of 1 we do not know the actual values of x and y , since we got \(\frac{x}{y} = \frac{9}{5}\), \(\frac{x}{y}\) could also be \(\frac{18}{10}\),or \(\frac{27}{15}\), if x and y differs so will z and hence will \(\frac{z}{y}\) unless we are always reducing ratios to their lowest form

please tell me how can we be sure of x and y from this ratio

thanks
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618797 [0]
Send PM
Re: If x, y, and z are integers greater than 0 and x = y + z, what is the [#permalink]
Expert Reply
stne wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
amirdubai1982 wrote:
Question: If x, y, and z are integers greater than 0 and x = y + z, what is the value of ?

(1) (x-y)/y=4/5
(2) z/y=4/5

Question should be: If x, y, and z are integers greater than 0 and x=y+z, what is the value of (y-z)/y?

\(\frac{y-z}{y}=1-\frac{z}{y}=?\) So, basically the question asks about the value of \(\frac{z}{y}\).

(1) \(\frac{x-y}{y}=\frac{4}{5}\) --> cross multiply --> \(5x-5y=4y\) --> \(5x=9y\) --> as \(x=y+z\) (or as \(5x=5y+5z\)) then \(9y=5y+5z\) --> \(4y=5z\) --> \(\frac{z}{y}=\frac{4}{5}\). Sufficient.

(2) \(\frac{z}{y}=\frac{4}{5}\), directly gives the value of the ratio we need. Sufficient.

Answer: D.

we need to find the value of \(\frac{y-z}{y}\) or \(1- \frac{y}{z}\) so we need to find the value of
\(\frac{y}{z}\)

\(\frac{x}{y} -1 = \frac{4}{5}\) ,\(\frac{x}{y} = \frac{4}{5} + 1\), \(\frac{x}{y}= \frac{9}{5}\)

now given x= y+z so if \(\frac{x}{y} = \frac{9}{5}\) then we can take x= 9 and y=5 then z=4 here \(\frac{z}{y} =\frac{4}{5}\)

but if \(\frac{x}{y} = \frac{9}{5}\)then we can also take x= 18 and z=10 can't we? then z= 8 here \(\frac{z}{y} =\frac{8}{10}\)

So I thought statement 1 did not give us the actual values of x and y, so I thought there were many possibilities hence marked statement as insufficient.

so this was my confusion , I though since we got a ratio at the end of simplification of 1 we do not know the actual values of x and y , since we got \(\frac{x}{y} = \frac{9}{5}\), \(\frac{x}{y}\) could also be \(\frac{18}{10}\),or \(\frac{27}{15}\), if x and y differs so will z and hence will \(\frac{z}{y}\) unless we are always reducing ratios to their lowest form

thanks

Notice that we need to find the ratio of z to y (z/y). Now, you are right, we CANNOT get the VALUES of x, y, and z, from x=y+z and (x-y)/y=4/5, but we CAN get the RATIO of z to y (as shown in my post).

Does this make sense?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
stne wrote:

\(\frac{y}{z}\)

thanks

Notice that we need to find the ratio of z to y (z/y). Now, you are right, we CANNOT get the VALUES of x, y, and z, from x=y+z and (x-y)/y=4/5, but we CAN get the RATIO of z to y (as shown in my post).

Does this make sense?

So we are taking \(\frac{x}{y} = \frac{9}{5} =\frac{18}{10} =\frac{27}{15}\)

if we are taking all these to be equal, then ratio's are being reduced to their lowest forms.

That was my original question. " Do we need to reduce ratio's to the lowest forms "
The answer must be yes, because if the answer is no then \(\frac{9}{5}\) would not be equal \(\frac{18}{10}\) , and different values of x and y would give different values of z, and we would have different \(\frac{z}{y}\)

So yes , ratio's must be reduced to their lowest forms,Please can you reaffirm.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618797 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
stne wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
stne wrote:

\(\frac{y}{z}\)

thanks

Does this make sense?

So we are taking \(\frac{x}{y} = \frac{9}{5} =\frac{18}{10} =\frac{27}{15}\)

if we are taking all these to be equal, then ratio's are being reduced to their lowest forms.

That was my original question. " Do we need to reduce ratio's to the lowest forms "
The answer must be yes, because if the answer is no then \(\frac{9}{5}\) would not be equal \(\frac{18}{10}\) , and different values of x and y would give different values of z, and we would have different \(\frac{z}{y}\)

So yes , ratio's must be reduced to their lowest forms,Please can you reaffirm.

No, that's not correct. You don't have to reduce. 9/5 is the same ratio as 18/10.

If you consider x/y=18/10, you'll get that z/y=8/10, which is the same as 4/5.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
No, that's not correct. You don't have to reduce. 9/5 is the same ratio as 18/10.

If you consider x/y=18/10, you'll get that z/y=8/10, which is the same as 4/5.

Well I guess we all have different ways to look at it
if x/y=9/5 = 18/10
The fact that their are equal is not easily visible to me, till i get both the numerator and denominator to have the same value as the other ratio's , and that I get when I reduce them

So I guess without reducing them if one can ascertain that the ratio's are same then no need to reduce them.

Main thing is to realize that 9/5 = 18/10 = 27/15

Let me know if I am still missing something, thank you +1
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
D is correct.

(1) (x-y)/y = 4/5

Rewrite equation given at the beginning to z = x -y and substitute into (y-z)/y which gives you (2y-x)/y (a)

Now, looking at equation given to us from (1), cross multiply --> 5x-5y = 4y --> x = (9/5)y

Plug this into equation (a)

SUFFICIENT

(2) z/y = 4/5 --> Rewrite to z = (4/5)y

Plug into (y-z)/y

SUFFICIENT
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92902 posts