Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:27 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance & Strategic Management
Schools:Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink]
staind wrote:
Jock4MBA wrote:
staind wrote:
Question to all international applicants/students:

The school's website says "Please note: Johnson does not allow US student loans to be used on a declaration of finances form"

Does anyone know what this means? Does this mean that we cannot mention the student loan as a source of funding when applying for the F1 visa?

Correct, it relates to visa application and proof of tuition fee funding. Having said that, internationals are not entitled to apply for Stafford loans (only US citizens or Permanent Rs)

So how do students apply for the visa if they are going to rely on loans for funding and cannot include it on the application form?

The key phrase "does not allow US student loans". US student loans are not part of finance declaration, but you still can apply for funding. Loans without US co-signer if your school finds a bank to offer it. You have to get access to student loans at home/non US, loans from family, savings.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Corp Fin
Schools:Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
 Q44  V42 GMAT 2: 710  Q47  V40
GPA: 1.87
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Send PM
Jock4MBA wrote:
staind wrote:

So how do students apply for the visa if they are going to rely on loans for funding and cannot include it on the application form?

The key phrase "does not allow US student loans". US student loans are not part of finance declaration, but you still can apply for funding. Loans without US co-signer if your school finds a bank to offer it. You have to get access to student loans at home/non US, loans from family, savings.

Correct, you can use loans from savings (family, friends, etc - they don't need to be all pooled into one account, they can be in the name of the person who owns the money, provided they write a letter that they will support you) as well as loans from your home country. You cannot use loans from the US, co-signer or not, through the school or not - you just can't. And it gets even better - you need to show you can cover cost of attendance (tuition + plus living expenses) for both years if you're going for the two year program. Last year that was to the tune of 142k or so. Also the assets have to be liquid, something like a 401k is a grey area, so use as a last resort. Your sponsors, however, can also be in the US - there are no restrictions in terms of sponsors and you can have as many sponsors as you like.
Current Student
 Q50  V41
Send PM
ariel wrote:
Jock4MBA wrote:
staind wrote:

Correct, you can use loans from savings (family, friends, etc - they don't need to be all pooled into one account, they can be in the name of the person who owns the money, provided they write a letter that they will support you) as well as loans from your home country. You cannot use loans from the US, co-signer or not, through the school or not - you just can't. And it gets even better - you need to show you can cover cost of attendance (tuition + plus living expenses) for both years if you're going for the two year program. Last year that was to the tune of 142k or so. Also the assets have to be liquid, something like a 401k is a grey area, so use as a last resort. Your sponsors, however, can also be in the US - there are no restrictions in terms of sponsors and you can have as many sponsors as you like.

I'm confused.. So basically, Johnson offers an international student loan program, but I can't use that loan as a source of funding for my visa application. So if I'm relying on the loan to fund my MBA and can't show 142k in other funds I won't be able to get a visa?
Current Student
Send PM
staind wrote:

I'm confused.. So basically, Johnson offers an international student loan program, but I can't use that loan as a source of funding for my visa application. So if I'm relying on the loan to fund my MBA and can't show 142k in other funds I won't be able to get a visa?

Unfortunately, that is correct and I know that it doesn't make sense at all. I went through the exact same thing last year. You could get multiple sponsors though.
Current Student
 Q50  V41
Send PM
ariel wrote:
staind wrote:

Unfortunately, that is correct and I know that it doesn't make sense at all. I went through the exact same thing last year. You could get multiple sponsors though.

No, that doesn't make any sense! What do you mean when you refer to "sponsors"?
Current Student
Send PM
staind wrote:
ariel wrote:
staind wrote:

Sponsors are people who can show that they have funds in the bank under their name (the more the better) and write a letter that they will sponsor you - that's how you get your visa.

Cornell does have loans for international students that cover cost of tuition only. The financial aid office worked with Quorum for the first time this year and were able to get better terms than in previous years (they take on some of the risk).
Current Student
 Q50  V41
Send PM
ariel wrote:
staind wrote:

Sponsors are people who can show that they have funds in the bank under their name (the more the better) and write a letter that they will sponsor you - that's how you get your visa.

Cornell does have loans for international students that cover cost of tuition only. The financial aid office worked with Quorum for the first time this year and were able to get better terms than in previous years (they take on some of the risk).

lol I can't believe they make it so complicated.. I understand most programs don't provide loans which is why they may be wary against them.. but they should be making an exception for MBA applications.. oh well.. I guess I'll figure out how to cross that bridge when I get there.. thanks Ariel!!
Current Student
Send PM
staind wrote:
lol I can't believe they make it so complicated.. I understand most programs don't provide loans which is why they may be wary against them.. but they should be making an exception for MBA applications.. oh well.. I guess I'll figure out how to cross that bridge when I get there.. thanks Ariel!!

I know, but I'm sure they have good reasons. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say that they're trying to be cautious in the unlikely event their international student loan program falls through. Someone also told me that it's a Cornell thing, not a Johnson School thing. Hope I was able to help and let me know if you have any other questions. I remember really stressing out about this last year (see my thread about financing and international students), but it somehow came all together in the end. You'll be fine.
Current Student
 Q50  V41
Send PM
ariel wrote:
staind wrote:

I know, but I'm sure they have good reasons. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say that they're trying to be cautious in the unlikely event their international student loan program falls through. Someone also told me that it's a Cornell thing, not a Johnson School thing. Hope I was able to help and let me know if you have any other questions. I remember really stressing out about this last year (see my thread about financing and international students), but it somehow came all together in the end. You'll be fine.

Oh so the same rule doesn't apply to other MBA schools?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
With the count I have seen on the forums...there arent as many invites that have been sent out...Ive ocunted about 20+ so far....if I am right..it should be a sign for more invites to come...else ...the end of the road...any others with their app still "Under Review" ?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
nithinr2001 wrote:
With the count I have seen on the forums...there arent as many invites that have been sent out...Ive ocunted about 20+ so far....if I am right..it should be a sign for more invites to come...else ...the end of the road...any others with their app still "Under Review" ?

I almost gave up !! guess time to move on...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
staind and Ariel:

Being in the international student in the same boat: R2 application, visa and funding hell.

It is almost Catch 22: US loans can't be counted towards funding in visa application. Hence you need to find home funding from family, equity, domestic banks. But some students from low income countries simply don't have access to such lending. They are effectively priced/frozen out. Not everyone is a hedgie, IBer or consultant. Working stiff here.

Once you can secure funds without US loans of $142,000 to receive visa, you don't really then need US loans without cosigner at 9% plus 3 % arrangement fees. That is almost rip off. I am surprised that this applies to Canucks as you are North Amercians, thought it would be easier for you folks with special arrangement.

Among the schools I apply for, Cornell stands out in making it difficult for a international student to arrange funding and visa. This is a turn off. I ran the numbers on a spreadsheet and can't currently secure funds of $142,000 without US loans/scholarships, hence no visa. Under current scenario with no changes: Even if I got admit, I would have to turn down Johnson flat. Now I understand why only a handful of international students from my Continent are enrolled at Johnson.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
International R1 applicant here, and I am very surprised to see the discussion on funding for international candidates in this forum! Looks like I have not done enough homework on financial aid and I have obviously missed this potential complication :(

I am actually gearing up for my alum interview tomorrow, and this discussion is certainly not helping in my motivation now. I hope there is a way out for internationals who are not able to source for the necessary funding without US student loans. I, for sure, fall into this unfortunate category.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
avbhagav wrote:
nithinr2001 wrote:

I almost gave up !! guess time to move on...

I have some optimism (thats quickly dying out) left in me.....fingers crossed
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.48
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Hi,

can anyone please post the recommendation form for cornell. Need to give the standard questions to my recommender.

regards,
madzy
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
hello all, I will be gearing up for round 3 of the application. =)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
kevintay wrote:
International R1 applicant here, and I am very surprised to see the discussion on funding for international candidates in this forum! Looks like I have not done enough homework on financial aid and I have obviously missed this potential complication :(

I am actually gearing up for my alum interview tomorrow, and this discussion is certainly not helping in my motivation now. I hope there is a way out for internationals who are not able to source for the necessary funding without US student loans. I, for sure, fall into this unfortunate category.

Hi Kevintay,

Congrats to your R1 interview invitation and good luck. Ignore the funding hell, just wow the interviewer. I see you have great options with other school interviews completed. With your profile and Gmat, Johnson will be glad to have you in its class.

I was caught off by the funding small print and didn't motivate with my R2 application. It felt like wasting good efforts for a vital application that could have gone to another school. Maybe you can ask the interviewer how he managed the funding conundrum.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14  ...  72