Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [2]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT Date: 10-22-2011
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [1]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Send PM
Re: Jeff Sackman Challenge Set vs. Fundamentals Set? [#permalink]
hey thanks bmillan01 - but do you feel I should be doing both fundamental and challenge sets or just the challenge sets are enough?

I agree the end of MGMAT chapters aren't great... I need far more practice to 'cement' each concept in my brain.

thanks
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Sorry for not directly answering your questions sooner.

But for me, the fundamental sets, while mostly easy, really cemented the concepts at that level. This, in turn, allowed me to advance to the next level, and then to the Extreme Challenge Set. At that point, I was ready (more or less) for the GMATClub Tests. So, in my opinion, the fundemental sets were absolutely worth it.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
cool thanks! and , last question I promise :) - this is quite important for me as I am planning to do the exam in 7 weeks (postponed it again :( due to quant. weakness) how long did it take you to do all the questions, and what was your plan of attack (study plan, hours each day on the questions etc.)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [2]
Bookmarks
No problem! Ask as many questions as you want. I will do my best to answer them. :)

It took me about two months to finish all of Sackmann's questions and the GMATClub tests, along with the OG math questions. I basically studied all day. At my peak, I could practice and review about 100 questions per day. It was rough, but I have no regrets. Also, make sure that you read every explanation thoroughly.

This method, however, may not be suited for you. Maybe you can do more, and maybe you cannot. Just find a plan that works for you and be persistent. Don't stop improving. Once you feel burnt out with questions, switch to re-reading the math guides. And once you are exhausted from reading, switch back to the questions. This was hell, but it was my only chance to score well. I literally had no other choice.

But I would also suggest that you start immediately, as in right now.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
yep alerady have started! I was thinking of doing every 2nd, or even every 3rd, question in each guide. This will cut the momentous 1800 questions down to 600, which on top of the 400 from OG and 150 + questions from the Q.Review, should be around 1000 questions, probably a lot more manageable in the shgort time frame.

Btw, how did you study verbal?

thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 560 Q47 V20
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
I'm also reading some good reviews about Jeff Sackmann's books. What do you guys think about NOVA's GMAT prep for quant and verbal part?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 242 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
I have his book, Total Gmat math, would you suggest buying the complete set of 1800, or just 1000 challenge set of questions. I have been away from math for a while, and really need to improve and get some practice.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [1]
Bookmarks
n2739178 wrote:
yep alerady have started! I was thinking of doing every 2nd, or even every 3rd, question in each guide. This will cut the momentous 1800 questions down to 600, which on top of the 400 from OG and 150 + questions from the Q.Review, should be around 1000 questions, probably a lot more manageable in the shgort time frame.

thanks

While 1000 questions sounds great, try to push yourself to the limit. You might be surprised at how far you can go. For verbal, I used the Manhattan SC, Powerscore CR, and Powerscore RC. For question practice, the OG is essential. I also used the LSAT SuperPrep, which is a decent source. Read each explanation carefully. The GMATClub forums, of course, have many good verbal questions. Try to answer those and defend your choice with a solid explanation. That helps quite a bit.

rg1 wrote:
I'm also reading some good reviews about Jeff Sackmann's books. What do you guys think about NOVA's GMAT prep for quant and verbal part?

I don't know much about Nova. It doesn't receive that much coverage, so maybe the Manhattan math series is a safer bet. Still, if my memory is correct, bb stated that Nova had some decent stuff.

Bigred2008 wrote:
I have his book, Total Gmat math, would you suggest buying the complete set of 1800, or just 1000 challenge set of questions. I have been away from math for a while, and really need to improve and get some practice.

It depends on where you stand in terms of quant performance. If you score somewhere in the 600-level for quant, then the challenges sets should be a good place to start. If you really need to start from the basics, then look for the fundamental sets. If you're a quant superstar, then focus on the GMATClub Tests and Sackmann's Extreme Challenge set.

Good luck, everyone! :-D
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thank you for your response, my goal is a 720+(need to make up for undergrad follies), I am currently in the 600 range. I am actually in a very similar boat that you were when you took the GMAT. I started miserable, and am currently slogging through quant. So after the 1000 challenge question, the idea is to move onto the GMATCLUB math?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thanks @bmillan01. I finished MGMAT books and felt that I need more questions targeted practice. I'll complete NOVA GMAT Prep ( because I bought it:) ) and move on to other material.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Bigred2008 wrote:
So after the 1000 challenge question, the idea is to move onto the GMATCLUB math?

I wouldn't fix it as a rule, but that's the general idea. Once you feel comfortable with Sackmann and the OG, then it's time for the GMATClub Tests. But don't understimate those! They are super tough. I would spend hours on each test.

After some time, you should be able to find a way to cover the maximum amount of questions in least amount of time. In other words, maybe you'll be ready for the GMATClub Tests sooner than expected. In that case, you can use both resources alongside one another. That's what I did toward the end.

rg1 wrote:
I'll complete NOVA GMAT Prep ( because I bought it:) ) and move on to other material.

Interesting. When you're finished with that book, please consider posting a review on it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Sure. I'll post my review.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thank you, I have a question for you. What did you use for number properties? I am doing well with equations and geometry. But Number properties have thrown me for a loop, any suggestions?

bmillan01 wrote:
Bigred2008 wrote:
So after the 1000 challenge question, the idea is to move onto the GMATCLUB math?

I wouldn't fix it as a rule, but that's the general idea. Once you feel comfortable with Sackmann and the OG, then it's time for the GMATClub Tests. But don't understimate those! They are super tough. I would spend hours on each test.

After some time, you should be able to find a way to cover the maximum amount of questions in least amount of time. In other words, maybe you'll be ready for the GMATClub Tests sooner than expected. In that case, you can use both resources alongside one another. That's what I did toward the end.

rg1 wrote:
I'll complete NOVA GMAT Prep ( because I bought it:) ) and move on to other material.

Interesting. When you're finished with that book, please consider posting a review on it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
MGMAT number properties guide is pretty thorough. I would suggest MGMAT book first.
Check this out too.
gmat-math-book-87417.html
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks, I should have mentioned I have read through MGMAT twice. I will check out the link, thanks.

rg1 wrote:
MGMAT number properties guide is pretty thorough. I would suggest MGMAT book first.
Check this out too.
gmat-math-book-87417.html
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I think bmillan01 or bunel will be able to provide correct information. Check out this link.
best-gmat-math-prep-books-reviews-recommendations-77291.html?highlight=ml307
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE:Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
How was Powerscore Critical Reasoning? I'm using MGMAT right now. I'm alright with CR, but have difficulty with 700 level questions for that area.

Did Powerscore CR push you over the hump?

bmillan01 wrote:
n2739178 wrote:

thanks

While 1000 questions sounds great, try to push yourself to the limit. You might be surprised at how far you can go. For verbal, I used the Manhattan SC, Powerscore CR, and Powerscore RC. For question practice, the OG is essential. I also used the LSAT SuperPrep, which is a decent source. Read each explanation carefully. The GMATClub forums, of course, have many good verbal questions. Try to answer those and defend your choice with a solid explanation. That helps quite a bit.

rg1 wrote:

I don't know much about Nova. It doesn't receive that much coverage, so maybe the Manhattan math series is a safer bet. Still, if my memory is correct, bb stated that Nova had some decent stuff.

Bigred2008 wrote:

It depends on where you stand in terms of quant performance. If you score somewhere in the 600-level for quant, then the challenges sets should be a good place to start. If you really need to start from the basics, then look for the fundamental sets. If you're a quant superstar, then focus on the GMATClub Tests and Sackmann's Extreme Challenge set.

Good luck, everyone! :-D
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2