Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:00 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 938 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Accounting
Schools:Pitt, Oregon, LBS...
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64887 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Re: Shy of 40 in first two prep tests [#permalink]
I would suggest taking the GMAT Prep in the last few days leading up to the test at the exact same time of your test and with the AWA.

As for your MGMAT, I would suggest taking all 6 of them. But before that, considering you've taken the two tests, generate an assessment report and review it really carefully - chances are you'll catch a lot of silly mistakes that can be avoided. When you're reviewing your answers, don't just look at the explanation straight away. Instead, click on the problems you got wrong and rework them without the time constraint. Chances are you'll get it right this time, and that way, the process becomes internalized and you won't make the mistake again.

Good luck.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
In my opinion, if you feel you just rushed through the Verbal section for both of the test, it might be relate to the fact that you may need some rest.
As others said, I would suggest the power prep tests respectively 2 and 3 days before, and trying to work on your error log, but most of all, try to arrive fresh and relaxed on D-Day !!!!!!

Good luck :!:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Really appreciate all of you for your feedback above.
I feel a little relieved having taken two more tests in the last 3 days.
My prep record stands as follows :
Nov 29, 2010 : Q46 V35 Tot 660 MGMAT
Nov 31, 2010 : Q46 V35 Tot 660 MGMAT
Dec 03, 2010 : Q49 V38 Tot 710 MGMAT
Dec 05, 2010 : Q49 V38 Tot 710 GMATPrep1

I think I was a little too anxious to hit 700 in my very first prep tests which was always going to be a tall order!
Last two tests I changed my strategy and didn't rush through either of my sections, which essentially is the difference between making the right answer choices with rationale presiding over anxiety. Never knew it would pay such dividends :)
Looking back I still think I could have improved my GMATPrep1 score with relatively easy questions that I flunked due to sheer misinterpretation. I thought I froze a little at the beginning of Verbal section, else I was confident of scoring at least a point or two more. Focus and concentration plays a big role, something I intend to work on in this last week of my prep.
My best pursuits will be to range between 710 and 730 in the remaining two tests and yes I will rest as much as I can and not over-practice!

I have following strategy in mind for remainder of my week:
Sun - Review error logs, Improve on weak Quant areas
Mon - Review error logs, Practice RC ( GMATPrep had some really wordy passages that is a concern )
Tue - Powerprep1 , Practice CR/SC (Brutal SCs / 1000 SCs/GMATClub )
Wed- Review error logs, Practice CR/RC (Brutal SCs / 1000 SCs/GMATClub )
Thurs- GMATPrep2
Fri - Review error logs and relax!
Sat - D-day!

Please let me know if anything looks out of the usual above.

Thanks Karishma for your timely advise. +1 to you!
Regards,
Sameer
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Your schedule looks good to me... try to be fresh and positive on d day. Good luck
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Send PM
btw: don't forget to keep us posted with your results!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Over with my D-day!
And I am informing with mixed feelings.... I got a 690 ( Q48 V37) - will write a separte debrief for the benefit of everyone on this forum. I think I owe it to this thread that made me reverse my strategy in the last week of focussing more on my error logs and not stressing out on practising more tests. I used every ounce of the energy for today's test.
All in all I think GMAT is a real test of nerves and I can say with surety that you can perform to the best of your abilities if you keep calm and be a 100% relaxed ( easier said that done ). Maybe that was the difference between a 690 and a 700+ for me.
I would have been happy with a 700+ score, something I missed probably due to my fatigue in the last 5-10mins of Verbal section. I did not run out of time and based on the difficulty level of the questions I was getting I knew I was tantalizingly close to my target, almost a cliffhanger like ending. I knew one slip and I would lose 700. Alas it had to be such a photofinish with not the sweetest end. All hope is not lost on me though, as I hear a lot of folks talking about B-schools not perceiving 690 too badly, moreover I am not too keen on a Finance Program.
As of now I do not plan on retaking the GMAT but apply at NYU(Part-time), Chicago Booth(Part-time) and three other schools ( where I know I have no chance with 690! ) and give it my best shot.
I will be seeking out more advise on whether I am correct in my approach.
As usual thanks for listening and thank you all for your valuable inputs.

Regards,
Sameer
GMAT Club Bot