Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:43 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2929 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE:Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
Re: Kindle [#permalink]
kindle's screen doesn't strain your eyes. . Its not backlit. . I've not seen the i pad but i'm guessing its backlit. . so if you are someone who spends a lot of time with books and need something that won't stress you out and a long battery holding time, kindle is a YAY!!

If you're the kind of person who wants colors then you might have to look elsewhere. . .
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
depends on how much you read...if you're like me, someone who don't read a whole lot, it ain't worth it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
I don't have a kindle but I did own a Sony Reader and have used my friend's kindle. (Which was an older version)

I really liked E-ink. I don't know about you but I can't stand reading long passages on a glossy back-lit screen. Sure, we all read articles online daily and a lot of us stare at a back-lit screen for hours but there is a difference. With my computer screen, I skim a lot and can't really focus my attention on every single detail. However, with e-ink it's just a lot easier for me to concentrate on the words instead of being distracted by the brightness.

They're going to come out with color e-ink so I would probably save up for that. (ETA: next year. Probably won't be from Amazon first but the Kindle will eventually be upgraded) The Kindle was on sale for $79 (or $89, I forget) on Black Friday; not sure if I'd shell out at the regular $139.99 price.

I'm actually waiting for the dual screen display tablet by Notion Ink called the Adam. The readability of an e-reader and the functionality of an i-pad. That's pretty much what I want. However, if you're just a big reader then getting a device specific to reading ebooks is a lot cheaper.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
You can install the kindle software almost on anything (PC, iPod, iPad, etc) - try the kindle concept before you buy the actual device.... On the other hand for $140, it has become much more affordable than before.
Retired Moderator
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Thats the thing, its not expensive ... which is tempting me to buy it

I dont think I want to fork out the cash for an iPad, coz I dont have any use for it. Plus I already have an iPhone which is good enough to play angry birds on :)

I am not a big reader, but you never know maybe buying a kindle is the start I need :d

I gifted a buddy of mine a kindle for his birthday a couple of months ago, and even then I was quite impressed by the e-ink. It does seem like quite a cool thing to me ... and unf as much as I would have like to buy it on black Friday, I know I always miss discount days !
Retired Moderator
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Also do note how they try to rip your face off in the uk

Amazon UK --> £109
Amazon US --> $139

Its like black fridaty everyday if you order it in the US :d
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
:( Yes, most products end up more expensive in the UK.
Perhaps it is because you guys make more $$? ;)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:USC Marshall School of Business
GPA: 2.9
WE 1: Software Consulting
WE 2: Government / Healthcare
Send PM
I have a nook colour from Barnes and Nobles. I really like the device.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
CyberC1 wrote:
I have a nook colour from Barnes and Nobles. I really like the device.

Except the Nook Color doesn't use e-ink... it's still an LCD screen so I'm wondering how it compares to like an ipad.

I think it would be great for comics and magazines lovers.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:USC Marshall School of Business
GPA: 2.9
WE 1: Software Consulting
WE 2: Government / Healthcare
Send PM
True - it's LCD, but I've been reading a ton on it and haven't had much problems with eye strain. Granted every person is different.

I like the Nook Color because of its ability to read ePub format files I get off the interwebs. The other thing that I like about it is that it's been rooted already, so I can extend the functionality of it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE:Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Just buy the Ipad in US Dollars.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Texas '12
Send PM
Kudos
I noticed that a lot of the bschool professors use their own material. After spending $50 on printing in the first couple months I bought one so I could just download the PDFs and take them with me. It works much better then carrying around binders. I’ve even printed the power points to PDF and added them. It allows for easy access and there's no eyestrain. Well worth the $139 in my opinion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
I currently own a 2nd generation Kindle.

I have to say, my experience with Kindle has been nothing but pleasurable. I've been reading far more than I had before I got the device. Using calibre, I've been loading my subscription to the Economist and actually go through most of the articles that I'm interested in reading.

The bookstore interface is seamless. You purchase a book from Amazon bookstore either through Kindle wireless connection or on your computer, and the book arrives through Whisper.net. I just bought "Big Short" by Michael Lewis and finished more than half-way already.

I had a chance to use iPad for a bit when I visited Chicago and I have to say that the device felt fairly hefty compared to Kindle. Although it's not a heavy device when you consider the device as a replacement for a laptop but as an eReader, I'm not sure it's something that I want to use it for an extended period of time.

BUT, reading PDF has not bee very pleasurable on Kindle. I'd imagine a bigger screen from Kindle DX would make it better reading experience than normal Kindle as far as PDF documents are concerned.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Texas '12
Send PM
Kudos
I have version 3.0.2. I thought reading the PDF’s would be a challenge as well, but the screen has rotation which gives some extra width to the pages. Printing 2 PPT slides per page also allows the slide to fill the entire screen in landscape mode.

Here’s a copy of a Marketing article in PDF that I’m reviewing now. No zoom was used.
Attachment:
kindle2.JPG
kindle2.JPG [ 282.04 KiB | Viewed 3208 times ]
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
sdg wrote:
I noticed that a lot of the bschool professors use their own material. After spending $50 on printing in the first couple months I bought one so I could just download the PDFs and take them with me. It works much better then carrying around binders. I’ve even printed the power points to PDF and added them. It allows for easy access and there's no eyestrain. Well worth the $139 in my opinion.

I used to own the 1st generation Kindle before bschool. PDF feature on it def sucked.

Based on your comments, I might reward myself a Kindle 3 this holiday and test it out in the Spring semester for school. God knows I kill enough trees by myself...(when others head to Staples to buy electronic goods, etc on Black Friday, I stopped by to purchase a box of copy paper on sale, plus ink cartridge for my printer)
GMAT Club Bot