Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Tepper, ISB, McCombs, Emory, Duke, NUS
 Q50  V40
WE 1: SAP consulting
WE 2: Business Development Manager
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: $ Finance $
Schools:Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
 Q50  V37
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
Re: Is the Vocaz Chances Indication accurate? [#permalink]
What a piece of garbage. A classic case of overfitting if they actually did base this on past experience. Ignore this tool and ones like it, and instead spend some time reading through GMAT Club to get an idea of where you're best off applying. And perhaps ask for a profile eval in the admissions consultant forum to get some opinions, but even then take it all with a grain of salt.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:Michigan Ross Class of 2013
Send PM
I just did this for fun, and found that my results actually line up pretty well with my previous projections of how competitive I am for the schools I'm applying to. Of course, since I don't know yet whether I'll be accepted to any of these schools, I don't know how well it lines up with reality. But I don't think it's a completely awful tool to use, as long as it's not your sole source of choosing schools. I would never avoid applying to a dream school because of a tool like this, but if it's really important for someone to attend b-school this upcoming year, this tool might indicate if they should add a safety school or two to the mix.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Thanks guys for cheering me up :)
Of course I'm going for it!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Obviously, this is just a tool, and you do not have to put too much emphasis on that. However, I think the guys look competent, and I wouldn't say it is a completely irrelevant tool.
I would suggest that you take it into account for your applications, by putting more stress on certain area than on others .
The tool helps you realize that sport can help, community work, etc...
So my advice is: do not get depressed, just use it to maximize your chances.

Good luck with that
Manager
Manager
Send PM
btw: I am by no means affiliated to Vocaz, but I am seriously considering asking them for help in my application process (fall 2013).
Cheers
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
How are you supposed to decide whether your own essays, resume, etc. are "Strong," "Medium," or "Weak"? Would anyone here submit a "Weak" essay? I would put absolutely no weight into this tool... read through past "Applicant" posts on candidates for the schools you're interested in. And compare.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Professional Engineers (Ontario)
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Green-tech
 Q50  V38
GPA: 3.7
WE 1: Nuclear Consultant - 3+ years
Send PM
Kudos
my Engineer friend who is right now at HBS took the Vocaz test on my request and his points were 12 points below the HBS category. That is direct evidence that the test is not accurate.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ok. then I may agree on what you said, if your friend from HBS is below... then there must be some flaws in the tool.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Actually, i just used it to check my "numbers" - age, work exp, managing people. I wanted to see where do I stand if I have strong essays and recommendations (assuming I will). For that purpose I think this tool is OK, it can give some indication.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Out of curiosity, how did you reach this conclusion?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
well, i compared myself (roughly) to class profiles that some schools publish on their websites, with students' statistics and average GMAT, age, work experience etc.
i found out that i'm somewhere in the middle, and the chances indication tool also predicted that i would be competitive at those schools. i know that there are other parameters and this is not exact science, but still...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I've read two tidbits (one from Alex at MBAApply) that are good indicators of an applicant's b-school choices:

"The real acid test for applicants is this: if getting into HBS or Stanford would be the best thing that's ever happened to you professionally or personally, your chances are probably pretty slim (because you don't have enough to bring to the table, which is why HBS/Stanford/Wharton would be the best thing that's happened to you). "

The second one was this:
Clear out a spot on the top of your resume. Put in the b-school you're interested in as if you've already graduated. if it doesn't look out of place, you probably have a good shot (assuming you're not completely delusional).

Either way..sounds like a crapshoot these days! =/
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I agree, self awareness is the key. you have to stay true to yourself, you shouldn't aim for schools that are way out of your league, and such chances indication tool can help you with this.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
uprightcitizen wrote:
How are you supposed to decide whether your own essays, resume, etc. are "Strong," "Medium," or "Weak"? Would anyone here submit a "Weak" essay? I would put absolutely no weight into this tool... read through past "Applicant" posts on candidates for the schools you're interested in. And compare.

Exactly right.

Vocaz Marketing Indicator wrote:
Essay Quality
Strong 10.5
Medium 6.5
Weak 1.5
* If you do a full, intensive process with Vocaz (or with a different high-quality service) on essays, choose strong.

Recommendations
Strong 10
Medium 7.5
Weak 4
* If you work intensively with Vocaz (or with a different high-quality service) on recommendations, choose either medium or strong.

Application Forms/Resume Quality
Strong 9
Medium 7
Weak 3
* If you work intensively with Vocaz (or with a different high-quality service) on PDM, resume and application forms, choose strong.

And then:

What is the gap between your total points and the school points below?
-7 or less = Stretch
+2 or more = Strong with potential for a significant scholarship

Which is interpreted as follows:

Strong with potential for a significant scholarship:
There is a good chance that you will be accepted, possibly with a significant scholarship. Estimated admission chances are somewhere around 75-80%.

Stretch:
Candidates with similar profiles rarely get accepted to this program. Estimated admission chances are somewhere around 10%.

So, the difference between having a 10% chance of admission to a particular school vs 75-80% chance of admission, possibly with a significant scholarship, is 9 points on their scale, but there is a potential 21 point swing on your score depending on how you rate your application on the subjective scale of Strong, Medium, Weak? Yet the difference between Non-existant and Strong community service is 3.2 points? And they can predict the impact of starting a company that employs 5 people to the 0.3 point level of granularity? Not to mention, there's a potential 8 point swing depending on your GPA, which they give in %age terms when every major US school I know of asks for (and uses) a 4.0 scale?

Oh and by the way, if you use their service, all 3 sections of your application are guaranteed to be "Strong" by their own measure.

I repeat my earlier statement:

brainhurt wrote:
What a piece of garbage.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
WE:Other (Insurance)
Send PM
Agree..this is complete garbage, but it is a useful starting point. After getting to know the programs, you will be better off than if you rely on this matrix.

It said that I am competitive at Duke, Michigan, Yale, NYU - I am applying to Duke and Michigan
It said that Chicago is a stretch-competitive - I consider this my stretch.
Texas is Strong - and I am applying here as my safety.

It also said that Harvard, Stanford, and Wharton are longstretches. No ****!

But still, this is just something to get you to buy their services. Do your due diligence on this before you sign up to any such service.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
herserendipity wrote:
I've read two tidbits (one from Alex at MBAApply) that are good indicators of an applicant's b-school choices:

"The real acid test for applicants is this: if getting into HBS or Stanford would be the best thing that's ever happened to you professionally or personally, your chances are probably pretty slim (because you don't have enough to bring to the table, which is why HBS/Stanford/Wharton would be the best thing that's happened to you). "

The second one was this:
Clear out a spot on the top of your resume. Put in the b-school you're interested in as if you've already graduated. if it doesn't look out of place, you probably have a good shot (assuming you're not completely delusional).

Alex is a smart guy, but his first point is a bit baffling. Getting into one of the most coveted graduate schools in the world (not just business but any degree) like HBS is a huge accomplishment for almost anyone. There are very few people in that age range who are so insanely accomplished that getting into HBS is just a blip in their radar.

Also, according to vocaz, cambridge is more selective than oxford, and insead is more selective than LBS. I thought it was the opposite? And why is a person in high-tech penalized when applying to columbia? Is it because very few columbia students can get jobs in high-tech? I know they're obsessed with applicants' employability.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
WE:Other (Insurance)
Send PM
herserendipity wrote:

The second one was this:

Both of these are subjective to the applicants interpretation of their own work experience and schools, especially if they have not done their due diligence.

I think the second one is good, but instead of reading it yourself, send it to someone that works in HR or is a current student or alumni from a top 10 school. They have a much better understanding and can comment subjectively.

Also, visit the schools and talk to the students. If you feel that you are competitive with the rest of the students after hearing their backgrounds, then you stand a decent shot of getting admitted. If you feel completely intimidated by their credentials, its time to re-evaluate your choices.

Me - I felt like a had a slightly superior background for my safety schools, felt on par with my competitive places, and felt slightly intimidated by my stretch (but did find students with similar achievements and backgrounds, which is why it is a stretch and not a long shot).
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12