Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:01 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
 Q49  V31 GMAT 2: 690  Q46  V39
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [1]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Marketing, Entreprenurship
Schools:Tepper, McCombs, Kelley, Darden, Andersen
 Q50  V28 GMAT 2: 730  Q51  V40
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [1]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [1]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Re: How to get from Q49, V31 to Q49, V40. Help needed [#permalink]
Kudos
This is a tricky situation. I believe, though, that the non-study option is probably not the best choice. Just take a short break from the GMAT and clear your mind. Once you feel rejuvinated, return to your studies!

You read the three MGMAT verbal guides, and those are good products. But did you fully absorb the concepts? I read MGMAT SC three times and Powerscore CR twice (in a sense) in order to feel comfortable with verbal. Just keep reading the verbal guides until you are totally comfortable with their content. For RC preparation, however, I found LSAT questions to be a good investment. Check out the LSAT SuperPrep; it has a good bit of RC and LR (CR) practice.

If you're feeling a tad desperate and truly didn't find some of the MGMAT books helpful, maybe look into the Powerscore LR Bible and Powerscore RC Bible. However, since you already have read some decent books on these subjects, this shouldn't be necessary. Still, it might be an option worth considering.

And try to read some GMAT Fiction. Finish at least one book a week until the test date approaches. This method helps, but in a very broad, subtle way.

And make sure that you adopt an active role in the GMATClub forums for question practice. Don't just simply answer the questions. Post your answer and defend it. Explain why your answer is correct and the others aren't. Even if this has already been accomplished by other members, put it in your own words. For OG or SuperPrep practice in general, read every single explanation completely - even the ones that you answer correctly. It's simply not enough to do the questions, look up the answer, and move on. Test takers need to completely know the ins and outs of them.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]
Send PM
bmillan01 wrote:
This is a tricky situation. I believe, though, that the non-study option is probably not the best choice. Just take a short break from the GMAT and clear your mind. Once you feel rejuvinated, return to your studies!

You read the three MGMAT verbal guides, and those are good products. But did you fully absorb the concepts? I read MGMAT SC three times and Powerscore CR twice (in a sense) in order to feel comfortable with verbal. Just keep reading the verbal guides until you are totally comfortable with their content. For RC preparation, however, I found LSAT questions to be a good investment. Check out the LSAT SuperPrep; it has a good bit of RC and LR (CR) practice.

If you're feeling a tad desperate and truly didn't find some of the MGMAT books helpful, maybe look into the Powerscore LR Bible and Powerscore RC Bible. However, since you already have read some decent books on these subjects, this shouldn't be necessary. Still, it might be an option worth considering.

And try to read some GMAT Fiction. Finish at least one book a week until the test date approaches. This method helps, but in a very broad, subtle way.

And make sure that you adopt an active role in the GMATClub forums for question practice. Don't just simply answer the questions. Post your answer and defend it. Explain why your answer is correct and the others aren't. Even if this has already been accomplished by other members, put it in your own words. For OG or SuperPrep practice in general, read every single explanation completely - even the ones that you answer correctly. It's simply not enough to do the questions, look up the answer, and move on. Test takers need to completely know the ins and outs of them.

Thanks a lot!! Yeah seems reasonable not to give up on studies so i will continue .. after short break

P.S. Just curious, do you ever take notes on RC or CR? How critical is it to do them?
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
I personally never took notes, as it consumed too much time and felt distracting. However, many others find that notes help. Experiment with it and do whatever works for you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Marketing, Entreprenurship
Schools:Tepper, McCombs, Kelley, Darden, Andersen
 Q50  V28 GMAT 2: 730  Q51  V40
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
If CR is your Achilles' Heel, you must go through Powerscore CR Bible. You'll find it much better organized and you'll be able to understand the concepts better.

For RC,though most of the books and test prep companies suggest you to take notes but I agree with bmillan01 that to write down points is quite distracting and at least I didn't find it to be of much help.
Since I was practicing a lot of passages from RC99, I kept on implementing some of the strategies suggested on the RC forums on gmatclub and saw my accuracy improving to quite a great extent.Here are Two tips from my side :)
Firstly, keep on taking short breaks while reading a passage. And I found this tip especially helpful as I moved from the low difficulty passages to the medium difficulty and then to high difficulty level passages in the book.

Secondly, as bmillan01 suggested read as much as possible.
I think both the tips above should help.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]
Send PM
Thanks!!! Will certainly read CR bible (already got two Aristotle books and started reading The Great Gatsby).

So you suggest digesting passages in pieces. Are those breaks to improve comprehension: read - think - move? Or? :roll:

What do you think about skipping idea when you ignore all details and examples (for long passages)? I used to read every sentence even if i dont understand some terms or scientific details.

About notes, i agree its distracting and time consuming - never worked for me. At least i am cool to know that i dont have to take them to be a top scorer. :)
GMAT Club Bot