Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Ops/Logistics
Schools:Harvard, Ross, McCombs, Mendoza
 Q44  V42
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation (age issue?) [#permalink]
dodger wrote:
hi Linda,

many thanks for your reply and for your insight, it's greatly appreciated. I will be applying when I am between 32-34 years of age, which would mean I will have 3.5-5.5 years of experience at the time of application (assuming R1). If I understood you correctly, age will not be a major detriment for Harvard and Stanford if I am within the desired ballpark range of 4-6 years of work experience at time of application?

As for being 32-34, this can be attributed to the fact that: i) in the 1990s, Canadians spent 5 years in high school [1 extra year]; ii) I spent 6 years in undergrad (switched majors twice in order to find my "true intellectual passions") [2 extra years]; and iii) my MA program was 2 years long and spent 1 full year on the fellowship program overseas [1 extra year], so that would explain the 4 year gap in a nutshell.

I have no actual gaps in my academic/employment history, but needless to say, these unconventional factors aren't nearly as compelling as, say, serving in the military for 4 years. How detrimental would the aforementioned be to my application, and is there a way that I could mitigate this problem with a logical/original/persuasive narrative, such as stressing my international experience (i.e. speak 5 languages, spent 5 out of 8 summers abroad working/studying/living abroad while an undergrad/grad student). Or if there's anything else in my candidacy that I should focus on within the next 3 years...

Once again, many thanks!

Just for an FYI, check out https://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/blog-all.html. You'd be the second oldest person in this year's entering class. I'm not trying to discourage you, but I saw this after applying to HBS. I would have been the 7th oldest person after completing my contracted military service if I hadn't been rejected. Not that this was why I was rejected, but HBS appears to really prefer younger folks.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Expert Reply
dodger wrote:
hi Linda,

many thanks for your reply and for your insight, it's greatly appreciated. I will be applying when I am between 32-34 years of age, which would mean I will have 3.5-5.5 years of experience at the time of application (assuming R1). If I understood you correctly, age will not be a major detriment for Harvard and Stanford if I am within the desired ballpark range of 4-6 years of work experience at time of application?

As for being 32-34, this can be attributed to the fact that: i) in the 1990s, Canadians spent 5 years in high school [1 extra year]; ii) I spent 6 years in undergrad (switched majors twice in order to find my "true intellectual passions") [2 extra years]; and iii) my MA program was 2 years long and spent 1 full year on the fellowship program overseas [1 extra year], so that would explain the 4 year gap in a nutshell.

I have no actual gaps in my academic/employment history, but needless to say, these unconventional factors aren't nearly as compelling as, say, serving in the military for 4 years. How detrimental would the aforementioned be to my application, and is there a way that I could mitigate this problem with a logical/original/persuasive narrative, such as stressing my international experience (i.e. speak 5 languages, spent 5 out of 8 summers abroad working/studying/living abroad while an undergrad/grad student). Or if there's anything else in my candidacy that I should focus on within the next 3 years...

Once again, many thanks!

Dodger,

Thanks for the additional information. That explains it. Officially the school look at amount of full-time work experience, not age.

In terms of how to present your educational path, emphasizing your international experience is definitely a great way to go. That is something the schools will appreciate. In terms of how to narrate it, that will depend on a lot of things including questions you are responding to, what you have done between now and your application, and what you wan to do after your MBA, for starters.

My advice: apply as soon as you are ready, and the sooner the better.

Best,
Linda
GMAT Club Bot