Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:48 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [42]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618568 [60]
Given Kudos: 81562
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618568 [1]
Send PM
Re: Probability [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
ro86 wrote:
Thanks.
So if there are any tasks assigned to the groups then we will have to consider the first case.

Yes. Consider the following example: there are three teams and three tournaments. In how many different ways can we assign the teams to tournaments?

Answer: 3!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 177 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Entrepreneurship,Strategy, Marketing
WE 1: 6 years - Consulting
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
ro86 wrote:
Thanks.
So if there are any tasks assigned to the groups then we will have to consider the first case.

Yes. Consider the following example: there are three teams and three tournaments. In how many different ways can we assign the teams to tournaments?

Hi Bunuel,

Please explain how did you get 3! . I am not able to understand how to get this by the above (subgroup) formula.
Thanks
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618568 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
oldstudent wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
ro86 wrote:
Thanks.

Hi Bunuel,

Please explain how did you get 3! . I am not able to understand how to get this by the above (subgroup) formula.
Thanks

Tournaments: A, B, C.
Teams: 1, 2, 3.

# of assignments of teams to tournaments is 3!.
ABC

Please check the following link: combinations-problems-95344.html?hilit=factorial%20teams#p734396

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Hello Bunnel,

In one of the Qs you had explained like this----
In how many different ways can a group of 8 people be divided into 4 teams of 2 people each?

AS:
For the first person we can pick a pair in 7 ways;
For the second one in 5 ways (as two are already chosen);
For the third one in 3 ways (as 4 people are already chosen);
For the fourth one there is only one left.
So we have 7*5*3*1=105

Similarly, for this solution we can think as

For the first person we can pick three people in 8 ways(As there are 9 people);
For the second one in 5 ways (as three are already chosen);
For the third one in 2 ways (as 6 people are already chosen);
So we have 8*5*2=80 ways...

But the answer here is 280... form combination formula..
I find both the patterns same so I did it in that way...But The answer I get is 80 not 280...
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618568 [4]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
jullysabat wrote:
Hello Bunnel,

In one of the Qs you had explained like this----
In how many different ways can a group of 8 people be divided into 4 teams of 2 people each?

AS:
For the first person we can pick a pair in 7 ways;
For the second one in 5 ways (as two are already chosen);
For the third one in 3 ways (as 4 people are already chosen);
For the fourth one there is only one left.
So we have 7*5*3*1=105

Similarly, for this solution we can think as

For the first person we can pick three people in 8 ways(As there are 9 people);
For the second one in 5 ways (as three are already chosen);
For the third one in 2 ways (as 6 people are already chosen);
So we have 8*5*2=80 ways...

But the answer here is 280... form combination formula..
I find both the patterns same so I did it in that way...But The answer I get is 80 not 280...

In how many different ways can a group of 9 people be divided into 3 groups, with each group containing 3 people?

There should be 3 people in 3 groups:

For the first person we can pick TWO partners in \(C^2_8=28\) ways;
For the second one we can pick TWO partners in \(C^2_5=10\) ways (as 3 people are already chosen);
For the third one we can pick TWO partners in \(C^2_2=1\) ways (as 6 people are already chosen);;

So we have 28*10=280.

Hope it's clear.
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4594 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Nine dogs are split into 3 groups to pull one of three [#permalink]
1. Nine dogs are split into 3 groups to pull one of three sleds in a race. How many different assignments of dogs to sleds are possible?

This question is not stating that equal assignment is expected in each group, thus application of following formula looks appropriate to distribute n identical objects among r number of receivers such that at least one object goes to everyone.

n-1Cr-1 = 8C2 = 28.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64880 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
PiyushK wrote:
1. Nine dogs are split into 3 groups to pull one of three sleds in a race. How many different assignments of dogs to sleds are possible?

This question is not stating that equal assignment is expected in each group, thus application of following formula looks appropriate to distribute n identical objects among r number of receivers such that at least one object goes to everyone.

n-1Cr-1 = 8C2 = 28.

This formula is used when you have n identical objects to be distributed in r distinct groups. Here, it is not given that the dogs are identical. Just like with 9 people, you don't assume that they are identical, similarly, with 9 dogs you cannot assume so. Things e.g. fruits (9 apples) may be considered identical but the word identical will be mentioned for clarity. Also, it is kind of implied that you need 3 dogs per sled so 9 dogs need to be split into 3 groups of 3 dogs each to pull the 3 sleds. I agree that it is not given clearly that each sled needs 3 dogs and an actual GMAT question will do justice.

The way to go about this question is 9C3*6C3*3C3
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Send PM
Nine dogs are split into 3 groups to pull one of three [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
ro86 wrote:
Thanks.

Bunuel, in this question dont you have to mention that each team will be placed in one tournament only? Other wise we can think that each tournement can take more than one team. (For example Team A and B to Tournament 1, Team C to Tournament 2 and no teams to Tournament 3 )

This way the answer should be 3^3 = 27 right? Please correct me if i am wrong.

Thanx
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 382
Schools: NUS '20
Send PM
Nine dogs are split into 3 groups to pull one of three [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
ro86 wrote:

2. In how many different ways can a group of 9 people be divided into 3 groups, with each group containing 3 people?

Are both the questions the same?

GENERAL RULE:

1. The number of ways in which \(mn\) different items can be divided equally into \(m\) groups, each containing \(n\) objects and the order of the groups is important is \(\frac{(mn)!}{(n!)^m}\)

2. The number of ways in which \(mn\) different items can be divided equally into \(m\) groups, each containing \(n\) objects and the order of the groups is NOT important is \(\frac{(mn)!}{(n!)^m*m!}\).

In the first case: I think the order is important, as we'll have group #1, #2 and #3 assigned to specific task. So we should use first formula, mn=9, m=3 groups n=3 objects (dogs):
\(\frac{(mn)!}{(n!)^m}=\frac{9!}{(3!)^3}=1680\).

This can be done in another way as well: \(9C3*6C3*3C3=1680\), (9C3 # of ways of choosing 3 from 9, 6C3 # of ways of choosing 3 from 6, 3C3 # of ways of choosing 3 from 3).

In the second case: I think the order is NOT important, as we won't have group #1, #2 and #3. So we should use second formula, again \(mn=9\), \(m=3\) groups \(n=3\) objects (people):
\(\frac{(mn)!}{(n!)^m*m!}=\frac{9!}{(3!)^3*3!}=280\).

This can be done in another way as well: \(\frac{9C3*6C3*3C3}{3!}=280\), we are dividing by \(3!\) as there are 3 groups and order doesn't matter.

hi Bunuel,

how are you dividing groups in the first case with 3 members each?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44 (Online)
GPA: 3.61
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
ro86 wrote:

2. In how many different ways can a group of 9 people be divided into 3 groups, with each group containing 3 people?

GENERAL RULE:

1. The number of ways in which \(mn\) different items can be divided equally into \(m\) groups, each containing \(n\) objects and the order of the groups is important is \(\frac{(mn)!}{(n!)^m}\)

2. The number of ways in which \(mn\) different items can be divided equally into \(m\) groups, each containing \(n\) objects and the order of the groups is NOT important is \(\frac{(mn)!}{(n!)^m*m!}\).

In the first case: I think the order is important, as we'll have group #1, #2 and #3 assigned to specific task. So we should use first formula, mn=9, m=3 groups n=3 objects (dogs):

This can be done in another way as well: \(9C3*6C3*3C3=1680\), (9C3 # of ways of choosing 3 from 9, 6C3 # of ways of choosing 3 from 6, 3C3 # of ways of choosing 3 from 3).

In the second case: I think the order is NOT important, as we won't have group #1, #2 and #3. So we should use second formula, again \(mn=9\), \(m=3\) groups \(n=3\) objects (people):

This can be done in another way as well: \(\frac{9C3*6C3*3C3}{3!}=280\), we are dividing by \(3!\) as there are 3 groups and order doesn't matter.

Hi

Why don't we multiple by 3! again in the first case 9C3∗6C3∗3C3=1680 to shuffle the 3 groups and assign them to the sledges?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 382
Schools: NUS '20
Send PM
jayarora wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
ro86 wrote:

GENERAL RULE:

Hi

Why don't we multiple by 3! again in the first case 9C3∗6C3∗3C3=1680 to shuffle the 3 groups and assign them to the sledges?

Thanks

Hi jay,

In the first case order matters because we are assigning some tasks in 'n' group. Therefore, in this case, 9C3∗6C3∗3C3 all the scenarios are covered such as (ABC, DEF, GHI), (DEF, GHI ,ABC) etc. as arrangement is already done then there is no need to arrange the sequence again.

But yes, there are some scenarios in which order doesn't matter like in the second scenario. then you have to divide it by 3! to remove the duplicate sequence.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92881 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts