Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:17 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Ops/Logistics
Schools:Harvard, Ross, McCombs, Mendoza
 Q44  V42
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
Re: Ask MBAvolunteers - application feedback for a donation [#permalink]
Is employing admissions consultants any more unethical than using a school's career services people to assist with resume writing, interview skills, and job searches? Most people will not have access to something like this at any point in their life without paying a search firm.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
You make a good point piggles, but I don't think you can use this as a comparison here. Many jobs in consulting, banking and industry are specifically tailored for MBAs. Non-MBAs don't even have access to recruiting for these jobs (hence for many the reason to get an MBA in the first place!). The point is: Everyone in the MBA program has access to the services you mention (resume writing, interviewing skills, etc.). If you had to pay for these services, or they would be only available to some, then it would be a different story.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Ops/Logistics
Schools:Harvard, Ross, McCombs, Mendoza
 Q44  V42
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
Actually, high-level MBA career offices, resume help, brands, and alumni networks are only available to the select few people who are admitted to high-level programs. In contrast, consulting services are much more egalitarian. Many, many more people could afford to employ MBA admissions consultants than will ever have the opportunity to attend high-level MBA programs. If using a person's advantages (in this case financial means) was unethical, then just about everyone in the world is unethical.

Sticking with the B-School theme, it would be just as unethical for a person employed in a company with many MBAs to use his/her network for assistance with essays or interview prep. I didn't have access to that network because of my pre-MBA career choice, so no one should.

I think your service is a great public service, don't get me wrong. I'd even consider participating as an MBA2.

However, I really disagree that admissions consulting can be considered unethical. I wrote every word in my essays, developed my own career goals over several years, developed an alternative transcript, and obsessively prepared for my own interviews. A consultant helped me tailor my message to connect with adcoms and proofread my essays. If I was a consultant already, I wouldn't have needed that help.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Giggles, yes you absolutely have every right to view admissions consulting as perfectly acceptable and ethical. It's a subjective view point. In our first post we don't say it's unethical, but we say we may appeal as an alternative to those who view it to be unethical. There have already been many many heated discussions on GMATclub on this topic :-). Let's just leave it as is: For some it's unethical, for some not.
GMAT Club Bot