Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:08 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3525 [62]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618966 [10]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [10]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: A 10-by-6 inch piece of paper is used to form the lateral surface of a [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Simple math
1. Answer choices asking about difference in volumes
2. Find volume (pi)*r^2*h of each
case a: 2(pi)r =10 and h = 6 --> (pi)r^2*h = (pi) [10/2*(pi)]^2 * 6 = 25*6/(pi) = 150/pi
case b: 2(pi)r =6 and h = 10 --> (pi)r^2*h = (pi) [6/2*(pi)]^2 * 10 = 9*10/(pi) = 90/pi
3. Difference is 60/pi
4. So [case a volume] when h = 6 is greater than [case b volume ] when h = 10, by 60/(pi)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Re: A 10-by-6 inch piece of paper is used to form the lateral surface of a [#permalink]
Bunuel , can you please explain this problem. I am not able to understand the difference between Option B and D. According to me option D should be correct but its not.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618966 [10]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
gauravsoni wrote:
Bunuel , can you please explain this problem. I am not able to understand the difference between Option B and D. According to me option D should be correct but its not.

The difference is that B says "\(\frac{60}{\pi}\)", while D says: "\(60\pi\)". Formatted the original post to make it clearer.

A 10-by-6 inch piece of paper is used to form the lateral surface of a cylinder. If the entire piece of paper is used to make the lateral surface, which of the following must be true of the two possible cylinders that can be formed?

A. The volume of the cylinder with height 10 is \(\frac{60}{\pi}\) cubic inches greater than the volume of the cylinder with height 6.

B. The volume of the cylinder with height 6 is \(\frac{60}{\pi}\) cubic inches greater than the volume of the cylinder with height 10.

C. The volume of the cylinder with height 10 is \(60\pi\) cubic inches greater than the volume of the cylinder with height 6.

D. The volume of the cylinder with height 6 is \(60\pi\) cubic inches greater than the volume of the cylinder with height 10.

E. The volume of the cylinder with height 6 is \(\frac{240}{\pi}\) cubic inches greater than the volume of the cylinder with height 10.

We can make 2 cylinders:

With height of 6 and the radius of the base of \(r=\frac{5}{\pi}\) (from \(2\pi{r}=10\) --> \(r=\frac{5}{\pi}\)) --> \(volume=\pi{r^2}h=\frac{150}{\pi}\).

With height of 10 and the radius of the base of \(r=\frac{3}{\pi}\) (from \(2\pi{r}=6\) --> \(r=\frac{3}{\pi}\)) --> \(volume=\pi{r^2}h=\frac{90}{\pi}\).

The volume of the first one is \(\frac{60}{\pi}\) cubic inches greater than the volume of the second one.

Answer: B.

Theory on Geometry:
Triangles
Polygons
Circles
Coordinate geometry
3-D Geometries

3-D Geometry Questions: 3-d-geometry-questions-171024.html
Shaded Region Problems: new-geometry-shaded-region-problems-168426.html
Probability and Geomtry: special-questions-155788.html#p1374416

All DS Geometry to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=32
All PS Geometry to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=53
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [1]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
gauravsoni wrote:

The difference is that B says "\(\frac{60}{\pi}\)", while D says: "\(60\pi\)". Formatted the original post to make it clearer.

A 10-by-6 inch piece of paper is used to form the lateral surface of a cylinder. If the entire piece of paper is used to make the lateral surface, which of the following must be true of the two possible cylinders that can be formed?

A. The volume of the cylinder with height 10 is \(\frac{60}{\pi}\) cubic inches greater than the volume of the cylinder with height 6.

B. The volume of the cylinder with height 6 is \(\frac{60}{\pi}\) cubic inches greater than the volume of the cylinder with height 10.

C. The volume of the cylinder with height 10 is \(60\pi\) cubic inches greater than the volume of the cylinder with height 6.

D. The volume of the cylinder with height 6 is \(60\pi\) cubic inches greater than the volume of the cylinder with height 10.

E. The volume of the cylinder with height 6 is \(\frac{240}{\pi}\) cubic inches greater than the volume of the cylinder with height 10.

We can make 2 cylinders:

With height of 6 and the radius of the base of \(r=\frac{5}{\pi}\) (from \(2\pi{r}=10\) --> \(r=\frac{5}{\pi}\)) --> \(volume=\pi{r^2}h=\frac{150}{\pi}\).

With height of 10 and the radius of the base of \(r=\frac{3}{\pi}\) (from \(2\pi{r}=6\) --> \(r=\frac{3}{\pi}\)) --> \(volume=\pi{r^2}h=\frac{90}{\pi}\).

The volume of the first one is \(\frac{60}{\pi}\) cubic inches greater than the volume of the second one.

Answer: B.

Theory on Geometry:
Triangles
Polygons
Circles
Coordinate geometry
3-D Geometries

3-D Geometry Questions: 3-d-geometry-questions-171024.html
Shaded Region Problems: new-geometry-shaded-region-problems-168426.html
Probability and Geomtry: special-questions-155788.html#p1374416

All DS Geometry to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=32
All PS Geometry to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=53

Thanks Bunuel, I thought of using the width of the rectangle as the radius, now i see that its actually the circumference of the circular base. Thanks for the clarification.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 187
Send PM
HI Bunuel,

Can you pls explain how can i know its the circumference of the base? Thank you very much.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 60
Send PM
A 10-by-6 inch piece of paper is used to form the lateral surface of a [#permalink]
V = pi(5/pi)^2 x 6 = 150/pi. I'm confused as too why two pi turns into 150/pi.

V = pi(3/pi)^2 x 10 = 90/pi. I'm confused as too why two pi turns into 90/pi.

Can someone explain? Aren't we supposed to cross-cancel the pi out?

Originally posted by OCDianaOC on 10 Nov 2017, 19:25.
Last edited by OCDianaOC on 11 Nov 2017, 08:09, edited 1 time in total.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618966 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
OCDianaOC wrote:
V = pi(5/pi)*2 x 6 = 150/pi. I'm confused as too why two pi turns into 150/pi.

V = pi(3/pi)*2 x 10 = 90/pi. I'm confused as too why two pi turns into 90/pi.

The volume formula is \(volume=\pi{r^2}h\). Notice that r there is squared not multiplied by 2.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
OCDianaOC wrote:

The volume formula is \(volume=\pi{r^2}h\). Notice that r there is squared not multiplied by 2.

I'm aware of that. Sorry, I put "*" hoping to imply it meant squared since I couldn't find another symbol for that on my keyboard. Let me rephrase,

Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618966 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
OCDianaOC wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
OCDianaOC wrote:

I'm aware of that. Sorry, I put "*" hoping to imply it meant squared since I couldn't find another symbol for that on my keyboard. Let me rephrase,

\(\pi\) there is also gets squared.

h = 6 and \(r=\frac{5}{\pi}\):

\(volume=\pi{r^2}h=\pi*(\frac{5}{\pi})^2*6=\pi*\frac{25}{\pi^2}*6=\frac{150}{\pi}\).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Oh! That's what I was missing! Thanks Brunel... so we multiple out straight across (squaring num and denom) then cancel out the extra pi from numerator and denominator! :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi All,

This question ultimately comes down to a couple of geometry formulas:

Circumference = 2pi(radius)
Volume = (Height)pi(radius)^2

The "lateral surface of a cylinder" is a fancy way of staying "the outside of the can, but not the top nor the bottom." With a 10x6 piece of paper, we can have 2 possible cylinders:

1) Height of 10, Circumference of 6
2) Height of 6, Circumference of 10

The answers ask us to consider the volumes of the cylinders…..

1st cylinder:
Circumference = 6 = 2pi(radius)
Radius = 3/pi

Height = 10
Volume = 10pi(3/pi)^2 = 90/pi

2nd cylinder:
Circumference = 10 = 2pi(radius)
Radius = 5/pi

Height = 6
Volume = 6pi(5/pi)^2 = 150/pi

So the cylinder with a height of 6 has a volume that is 60/pi greater than the cylinder with a height of 10.

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92914 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts