Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:37 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance / Management
 Q48  V39
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Re: SC - a complete FAILURE IN TIMED TEST [#permalink]
hi tinki, not to pour salt on your wound, but simply by "reading" sometime 3 times doesn't necessarily mean that you understand it. Because, frankly, if you understand it, chances are you won't be so frustrated with SC. If I were you, I'd go back to MGMAT Sentence Correction and really comprehend each chapter. As you indicated, parallelism gives you most problems so I'd focus on that. Then I'd go to some OG problems and really understand why each answer is wrong and why there's a best answer in every question. If it helps, start making an error log that helps you identify the types of problems and errors within them. By doing problems itself won't really help too much. You really have to understand why something is wrong before moving on. Without true understanding, you're simply doing one problem after the next and nothing really will register in your mind. Good luck!!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
hello there ... i understand your point.
but let me correct: i know, the meaning of "reading" is too superficial, yet i did not mean that. SC is not a fiction book to read, i know. i actually went through each chapter, each concept, analysing each and every problem , rule and explanation. The same with OG. i never missed my problems w/o analyzing them first. i was always reviewing my mistakes(and not only mistakes, even correct ones,), why i did the miskate, what i did wrong, etc .... sometimes it took even hours to analyze the problem till i got the real thing. but after doing OG i still think that OG grammer is really easy compared to that of the Gmat Prep. Not a single problem (especially from OG ) i let go w/o thorough comprehending ... but still they seem rather easy for me ...

it would be great to find somth. a lot more challenging to practice until the real test . but i dont know material that would reflect the the real SC tested. :(((
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
hi tinki, whatever you do don't give up. GMAT is really a beast and to sit there for 3 hours trying to concentrate on something is even harder to beat. Have you visited the forum's sentence correction site? It's filled with challenging problems there. People will generally discuss the answer and explanations in a constructive way. I'd try that place out as well, in addition to what you currently have physically.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
Send PM
I started studying SC last week. Base on the reviews from this forum, many people have highly praise MGMAT SC. However, some reviews have also metioned the materials covered in MGMAT SC can be difficult to master. In addition, Aristotle SC would be a good guide to go through before the MGMAT SC. Thus, I decided to study Aristotle SC first. I'm about half way through the guide and I'm hoping that the concepts that I learned in SC Grail will help me be prepare for the MGMAT SC.

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Manager
Manager
Send PM
i've done Aristotel grammer as well. It is really good one. covers many aspects not covered in mgmat SC

GOOD LUCK !!! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
Send PM
Which book did you study first? Also, have you taken another CAT to see if you get the same result?

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
GMAT Club Bot