Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:05 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Combinationsx   Geometryx   Min/Max Problemsx   Word Problemsx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 639 [637]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618751 [175]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 452 [66]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 395 [14]
Send PM
Re: Pat will walk from intersection X to intersection Y along a route that [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
haidzz wrote:
Pat will walk from intersection A to intersection B along a route that is confined to the square grid of four streets and three avenues shown in the map above. How many routes from A to B can Pat take that have the minimum possible length?
A. 6
B. 8
C. 10
D. 14
E. 16

(map is attached)

Attachment:
PS combinatorics.doc

This is a question from the OG-11. Does anyone have a faster/easier solution??

Consider this a as coordinate plane with A as origin and B as (2,3).

The shortest possible way is when you go take either right or up. (lefts and downs make repetitions and thus non shortest paths)

now, to get to (2,3) form (0,0) you need min 5 steps.

so you have to choose all the paths such that you have 2 steps out of 5 along x axis and getting to 3 of y axis.
The number of ways = 5C2 =10

(or alternately all paths that have 3 steps along y and takes you to 2 of x. .. 5C3 = 10)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [5]
Send PM
Re: Pat will walk from intersection X to intersection Y along a route that [#permalink]
Bookmarks
It is a fairly simple problem if one recognizes that there's only one combination of 3 y-coordinates for every pair of x-coordinates. In simpler terms, you can go right in 2 paths, but there's only one unique set of 3 paths going upwards with those 2 paths.
All we have to do is figure out in how many ways we can take 2 paths to the right. For each such path, there will be only 1 combination of 3 paths that will go up to B.
Also note that there are 8 paths going to the right but we cannot do 8C2 because once you take the 1st path going to the right, all the other right-paths above it become redundant.
The number of paths we can take to the right is 1*4 + 1*3 + 1*2 + 1*1 = 10 paths.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 395 [8]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
haidzz wrote:
dude you're a genius! kudos to you. I'm really weak in Permutations, combinations and probability. How can I get better at it? Can you suggest a particular book other than GMAT books?

This site is pretty good...
https://www.mansw.nsw.edu.au/members/ref ... no4yen.htm

Thanks to Durgesh79 for pointing me to this page. Awesome summary of all basic concepts.

Also follow his solutions to combinatorial problems.. he comes up with real cool ways to tame these little pups.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [7]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: MSA - Generalist
Schools:University of Texas at Austin, Michigan State
 Q46  V44
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bringing up an old topic because it is giving me headaches. :shock: :shock: :shock:

I understand breaking this down into 5 steps (2 Rights, 3 Ups)

So right = R
And Up = U

So we need to see how many permutations include 2 Rights, and 3 Ups

So I made a list

Start to the right
RRUUU
RURUU
RUURU
RUUUR

Start with by moving up
URRUU
URURU
URUUR
UURRU
UURUR
UUURR

Obviously making a list is not the quickest way to solve this problem.

How do I get to it this ----> 5!/2!3! = 10 ????????

It seems to be me are picking 5 out of 5? So we would have 5!/5!0! which equals 1
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: MSA - Generalist
Schools:University of Texas at Austin, Michigan State
 Q46  V44
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Quote:
The formula for arranging n objects where some objects recur is: n!/(r!*s!) in which "r" and "s" are the number of times objects of a certain kind appear.

Thanks for your help, just to make sure I understand if I had MISSISSIPPI

The number of ways to arrange it would be 11! / (4!*4!*2!) = 34,650 ???
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 452 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
TallJTinChina wrote:
Quote:
The formula for arranging n objects where some objects recur is: n!/(r!*s!) in which "r" and "s" are the number of times objects of a certain kind appear.

Thanks for your help, just to make sure I understand if I had MISSISSIPPI

The number of ways to arrange it would be 11! / (4!*4!*2!) = 34,650 ???

Haha! That's probably the best example one can come up with. Yes, that is indeed correct....thanks for making me count all the "I"s and "S"s!

:)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard, Yale, HEC
Send PM
bhushangiri wrote:
haidzz wrote:
Pat will walk from intersection A to intersection B along a route that is confined to the square grid of four streets and three avenues shown in the map above. How many routes from A to B can Pat take that have the minimum possible length?
A. 6
B. 8
C. 10
D. 14
E. 16

(map is attached)

Attachment:
PS combinatorics.doc

This is a question from the OG-11. Does anyone have a faster/easier solution??

Consider this a as coordinate plane with A as origin and B as (2,3).

The shortest possible way is when you go take either right or up. (lefts and downs make repetitions and thus non shortest paths)

now, to get to (2,3) form (0,0) you need min 5 steps.

so you have to choose all the paths such that you have 2 steps out of 5 along x axis and getting to 3 of y axis.
The number of ways = 5C2 =10

(or alternately all paths that have 3 steps along y and takes you to 2 of x. .. 5C3 = 10)

Can you explicate your combinatorial method a bit more. For example, If I add another Avenue, eg, Avenue D, and another street, Street 5, I will have to go 3 steps right and 4 steps up to get to point C.

Therefore, the total number of route will be 7C3 = 35? Am I correct?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard, Yale, HEC
Send PM
You're the best Bunuel, +1
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
I didn't understand this part "In order the length to be minimum Pat should only go UP and RIGHT: namely thrice UP and twice RIGHT.". He could also go twice RIGHT and then thrice UP. I didn't follow how this was chosen.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618751 [5]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
Kudos