Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:08 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
Re: Looking for suggestions to improve quant speed/score [#permalink]
Yeah, DS questions can be harsh sometimes :) However, the more answer explanations you read, the more equipped you are. There are special chapters in MGMAT guides also, as I remember, you can check how to rephrase there. Keeping attention to small details is very important when solving DS questions. Always notice words like "positive", "integer" and so on, this may be crucial.
Forgot to say, I think your goal is quite achievable since you have decent verbal and quant is much easier to master. Good luck!
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Don't just do OG problems--reread the MGMAT books and find out how to solve all the most common types of problems. You need to be able to recognize all the ways the GMAT uses to make simple questions look more obscure...for example, how complicated-looking questions can be simplified to (a^2 - b^2) which obviously equals (a+b)(a-b). And you MUST memorize all the equations and formulas, exponent rules, characteristics of geometric shapes, etc.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
DaoEmo wrote:
Yeah, DS questions can be harsh sometimes :) However, the more answer explanations you read, the more equipped you are. There are special chapters in MGMAT guides also, as I remember, you can check how to rephrase there. Keeping attention to small details is very important when solving DS questions. Always notice words like "positive", "integer" and so on, this may be crucial.
Forgot to say, I think your goal is quite achievable since you have decent verbal and quant is much easier to master. Good luck!

Yeah, I noticed that about DS questions. By the way, I find it time consuming to draw tables for work/rate and speed/distance problems. By the time I fill it in, like 60-80 seconds are gone.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [1]
 Q44  V35
Send PM
Kudos
The beauty of DS is that you don't have to do any calculations at all. Sometimes, in the harder questions, I'll make some quick notes and throw around the numbers a little, but that's it.

Since GMAT throws only a limited number of problems at you it's mostly about learning the math behind the different kind of problems.

- Absolute values
- Basic equations
- Different kinds of rates
- Geometry
- Probability and some permutations and combinations

And so on.

What I've learned so far:
- Try to learn different approaches to the problems so that when you get stuck you'll have different methods.
- Always try to learn and practice on how to solve the problems faster. Many different problems can be solved a lot faster with different shortcuts. For instance, learn the different triangles (30,60,90 / x, xsqr(3), 2x) so that you don't have use the Pythagora theorem every time you see a problem with triangles.
- If you can solve the problem faster with another method - use that method instead.
- Work on any weakness you have until you master every topic.
- Practice, practice until you can solve most problems without any calculations at all.

The best of luck!
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2946 [1]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hey guys,

Great discussion so far! If I could add a few suggestions...

1) Data Sufficiency

Another great way to get your mind in tune with DS questions is to train yourself to "think like the testmaker" by turning each DS question into a series of a few questions - ask yourself how they could change one word, symbol, etc. to elicit an entirely different answer. For example, there's an OG question that reads:

For nonzero integers m and n, is m/n > (mn)^4?

1) m/n > 0
2) m < 0

For this one, since we know that m and n are integers, there's no chance that m/n could ever be greater than (mn)^4. Thinking logically, on the left we take the same m and divide it, whereas on the right we multiply it by m^3 n^4. Even if either is negative, the right hand side will end up positive because of the even exponent. At worst we can construct a tie if all values are 1 or -1. The answer is D.

But to become a true master of DS, ask yourself how they can use the same setup to elicit a different answer. One way - if they just changed the direction of the inequality in the question to:

Is m/n < (mn)^4?

Usually the answer will be "yes" - take 4 and 2, 4/2 is much less than (4*2)^4. BUT, since we know that we can construct a "tie" with all 1s, then we can still get that answer "NO". Here, we learn that with inequalities you have to be careful because the yes/no question format can be tricky with the potential for a "tie".

2) Timing

One of my favorite timing drills is one I call "Quick First Step", in which you take 10 or 20 quant problems and start on each in 30 seconds, then move on to the next. When you're done with 30 seconds/question, go back and finish the question. Here, your goal is first to train yourself to begin questions quickly by drawing relationships and identifying your known quantities - so often people spend 30 seconds reading, 15 seconds worrying, and then it's almost a full minute before they start "doing". You want to actively read and begin work on a problem, both for pacing and confidence reasons. Second, you'll also learn which mistakes you tend to make when setting up a problem quickly. I'd argue that most quant mistakes come in the first 30 seconds and last 30 seconds you spend on a problem - you're either setting it up incorrectly or beginning with false assumptions, or you're missing steps or leaving a problem short when you finish. This drill allows you to focus on that first-30-seconds portion that can be so crucial.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
Hey guys,

Great discussion so far! If I could add a few suggestions...

1) Data Sufficiency

Another great way to get your mind in tune with DS questions is to train yourself to "think like the testmaker" by turning each DS question into a series of a few questions - ask yourself how they could change one word, symbol, etc. to elicit an entirely different answer. For example, there's an OG question that reads:

For nonzero integers m and n, is m/n > (mn)^4?

1) m/n > 0
2) m < 0

For this one, since we know that m and n are integers, there's no chance that m/n could ever be greater than (mn)^4. Thinking logically, on the left we take the same m and divide it, whereas on the right we multiply it by m^3 n^4. Even if either is negative, the right hand side will end up positive because of the even exponent. At worst we can construct a tie if all values are 1 or -1. The answer is D.

But to become a true master of DS, ask yourself how they can use the same setup to elicit a different answer. One way - if they just changed the direction of the inequality in the question to:

Is m/n < (mn)^4?

Usually the answer will be "yes" - take 4 and 2, 4/2 is much less than (4*2)^4. BUT, since we know that we can construct a "tie" with all 1s, then we can still get that answer "NO". Here, we learn that with inequalities you have to be careful because the yes/no question format can be tricky with the potential for a "tie".

2) Timing

One of my favorite timing drills is one I call "Quick First Step", in which you take 10 or 20 quant problems and start on each in 30 seconds, then move on to the next. When you're done with 30 seconds/question, go back and finish the question. Here, your goal is first to train yourself to begin questions quickly by drawing relationships and identifying your known quantities - so often people spend 30 seconds reading, 15 seconds worrying, and then it's almost a full minute before they start "doing". You want to actively read and begin work on a problem, both for pacing and confidence reasons. Second, you'll also learn which mistakes you tend to make when setting up a problem quickly. I'd argue that most quant mistakes come in the first 30 seconds and last 30 seconds you spend on a problem - you're either setting it up incorrectly or beginning with false assumptions, or you're missing steps or leaving a problem short when you finish. This drill allows you to focus on that first-30-seconds portion that can be so crucial.

Great post Brian! I think the 30 second "Quick First Step" drill is going to highlight one's weaknesses and gaps in the knowledge of basic math concepts. I'll definitively try that.
GMAT Club Bot