Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:30 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 608 [43]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618578 [26]
Given Kudos: 81562
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 511 [6]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 608 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Re: Help! [#permalink]
Great explanation Bunuel! Kudos!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1172 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
Great stuff for enlightening about this axiom :-)

" Perpendicular to the hypotenuse will always divide the triangle into two triangles with the same properties as the original triangle."
Director
Director
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Own Kudos [?]: 588 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
a not sufficient.giving no values.

b. triangles CED and CDA are similar.
Hence (CE/CD) = (CD/CA)

CD = 20 * 6 = 120 ^ 1/2

thus area of triangle CDA can be found,which multiplied by 2 will give area of ABCD
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Quadrilateral ABCD is inscribed in circle K. The diameter of [#permalink]
Hi Bunuel,

As always a great explanation. However i could not understand this part..Could you please explain it. Thanks.

"First note that as AC is perpendicular to BD and CA is a diameter then triangles CDA and CBA are congruent (they are mirror images of each other). Thus the area of quadrilateral ABCD is twice the area of triangle CDA, "
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2135 [2]
WE:Science (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
There are two important properties that can help in answering this question:

1) In any quadrilateral with perpendicular diagonals, the area is given by half the product of the diagonals.
2) A diameter perpendicular to a chord bisects that chord. In addition, any point on the diameter, is equally distant from the endpoints of the chord. In the attached drawing, it means that necessarily AB = AD and BC = DC. AC being the perpendicular bisector of BD means that BE = ED.

Now to our question:

(1) AB = AD doesn't help. It follows from the property of the diameter perpendicular to a chord. In addition, think of moving the chord BD parallel to itself, it will remain perpendicular to the diameter AC, AB will remain equal to AD, but the area of the quadrilateral will change.
Not sufficient.

(2) Since CE = 8 and CK is radius, then EK = 10 - 8 = 2.
From the right triangle KED we can compute ED (using Pythagoras's) and having ED in fact we have BD = 2ED. Then the area of the quadrilateral can be computed as we have both diagonals.
Sufficient.

Answer B.
Attachments

KiteInCircle.jpg
KiteInCircle.jpg [ 25.07 KiB | Viewed 35165 times ]

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 610 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Bunnel,
I am not sure about the solutions being proposed here. I think it should be E. All the solutions i see here are based on the assumptions that the quadrilateral is a kite and nowhere this is mentioned. I have my doubts about this assumption as nothing is given about other properties of kite. Ex :

The two line segments connecting opposite points of tangency have equal length.

THanks,
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2135 [0]
WE:Science (Education)
Send PM
vdadwal wrote:
Bunnel,
I am not sure about the solutions being proposed here. I think it should be E. All the solutions i see here are based on the assumptions that the quadrilateral is a kite and nowhere this is mentioned. I have my doubts about this assumption as nothing is given about other properties of kite. Ex :

The two line segments connecting opposite points of tangency have equal length.

THanks,

In the attached drawing, in the triangle BKD, BK = DK = radius. It follows that triangle BKD is isosceles, so KE being perpendicular to BD (it is given that the diameter AC is perpendicular to BD) it bisects the base BD of the triangle. Or, you can compare the two triangles BKE and DKE, they are congruent.
Therefore, AC is the perpendicular bisector of BD, and every point on it, is equally distant from B and D.
Or, you can continue with comparing pairs of triangles - ABE congruent to ADE, therefore ABD isosceles (AB = AD). Similarly, BCD is isosceles, so BC = DC.
It follows that ABCD is a kite.
Attachments

KiteInCircle-more.jpg
KiteInCircle-more.jpg [ 26.73 KiB | Viewed 34966 times ]

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1372 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE:Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Attachment:
Circle.PNG
Quadrilateral ABCD is inscribed in circle K. The diameter of K is 20. AC is perpendicular to BD. What is the area of ABCD?

First note that as AC is perpendicular to BD and CA is a diameter then triangles CDA and CBA are congruent (they are mirror images of each other). Thus the area of quadrilateral ABCD is twice the area of triangle CDA, which equals to 1/2*DE*CA=1/2*DE*20=10*DE (AC is perpendicular to BD means DE is the height of CDA), so area of ABCD=2*CDA=20*DE. All we need to find is the lengths of the line segment DE.

Alternately as ABCD is a kite (triangles CDA and CBA are congruent then CB=CD and AB = AD --> ABCD is a kite) then its area equals to \(\frac{d_1*d_2}{2}\) and as one diagonal is a diameter CA, which equals to 20, then we need the second diagonal BD which equals to 2*DE.

Next, you should know the following properties to solve this question:
A right triangle inscribed in a circle must have its hypotenuse as the diameter of the circle. The reverse is also true: if the diameter of the circle is also the triangle’s hypotenuse, then that triangle is a right triangle.

So, as CA is a diameter then angles CDA and CBA are right angles.

Perpendicular to the hypotenuse will always divide the triangle into two triangles with the same properties as the original triangle.

Thus, the perpendicular DE divides right triangle CDA into two similar triangles CDE and DAE. Now, as in similar triangles, corresponding sides are all in the same proportion then CE/DE=DE/EA --> DE^2=CE*EA.

(1) AB = AD --> we knew this ourselves (from the fact that triangles CDA and CBA are congruent). Not sufficient.

(2) The length of CE is 8 --> EA=CA-CE=20-8=12 --> DE^2=CE*EA=8*12=96. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

Check this for more: math-triangles-87197.html

Bunnel

I always have confusion about taking which sides into consideration when we are equating corresponding corresponding sides, can you please throw some light into this...i.e how to write the equation CE/DE=DE/EA
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2284 [0]
Given Kudos: 740
GPA: 3.21
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
EvaJager wrote:
There are two important properties that can help in answering this question:

1) In any quadrilateral with perpendicular diagonals, the area is given by half the product of the diagonals.
2) A diameter perpendicular to a chord bisects that chord. In addition, any point on the diameter, is equally distant from the endpoints of the chord. In the attached drawing, it means that necessarily AB = AD and BC = DC. AC being the perpendicular bisector of BD means that BE = ED.

Now to our question:

(1) AB = AD doesn't help. It follows from the property of the diameter perpendicular to a chord. In addition, think of moving the chord BD parallel to itself, it will remain perpendicular to the diameter AC, AB will remain equal to AD, but the area of the quadrilateral will change.
Not sufficient.

(2) Since CE = 8 and CK is radius, then EK = 10 - 8 = 2.
From the right triangle KED we can compute ED (using Pythagoras's) and having ED in fact we have BD = 2ED. Then the area of the quadrilateral can be computed as we have both diagonals.
Sufficient.

Answer B.

Hello Eve,

Thanks for the your approach to handle this Q.I thought your approach was better

I wanted your inputs w.r.t Similarity of triangles.

Please refer to the attachment for the same Q. I am confused on how do we define the proportion of sides ie. Which side upon which side is proportional.
Is there any general rule that we can follow.

This sometimes confuses me while solving Questions on Similarity of triangles

Looking forward to your inputs.

Thanks
Mridul
Attachments

Quadrilateral ABCD is inscribed in circle K.doc [35.5 KiB]
Downloaded 192 times

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Quick question

:
"(2) The length of CE is 8 --> EA=CA-CE=20-8=12 --> DE^2=CE*EA=8*12=96. Sufficient."

What am I missing here? How do you get DE^2 = CE * EA??? is there a triangle property that I missed out on?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618578 [1]
Given Kudos: 81562
Send PM