Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:37 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

Where Should I go? Tuck or Ross

You may select 1 option
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:Tuck 2013!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance & Strategic Management
Schools:Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Marketing & Entrepreneurship
Schools:UCLA Anderson FEMBA Class of 2014
Send PM
Re: (HELP NEEDED!!!) Tuck vs Ross [#permalink]
That's a steep deposit, but I would second that you probably do want to put it down to save your seat.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [1]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
Kudos
Either school would help get you into banking, but without prior banking/HF/PE experience, getting into PE is going to be tough, no matter where you end up going.

I think at this point, you have to look at a few different things

- lifestyle: Ann Arbor (party town) vs Hanover (small, secluded)
- location post MBA: while both schools have presence nationwide, Ross is going to be stronger in the Midwest than Tuck (and vice versa with Tuck for East coast)
- recruiting: if you want to work in i-banking post MBA, you're going to have to travel to NYC during the semester. For Ross, this means hopping on a flight into NYC a few times a month. For Tuck, it means hopping the bus into NYC every Friday.

Personally, I would go crazy after a few days in the relative seclusion that Tuck provides, whereas others actively embrace it. It's hard for us to give you an opinion based on personal reasons like this; otherwise, I would think that either school would serve you well.

Definitely put down the deposit for Tuck - worst case scenario, you get into Ross next week and you tell them that you put down a deposit on Tuck already; I'm sure they wouldn't think twice about throwing an extra $4k in aid if that's what it would take to sway you to Ross. Good luck
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I appreciate the feedbacks very much!

I’ll definitely make the deposit if I don’t hear from Michigan tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.

The point is that there are solid chances that I may receive the call on those days. If it happens, I hope I’ll have a strong feeling related to where I should go – I don’t want to deposit the $$$ with an uncertain feeling. That’s why I’m researching both programs relentlessly. Gmatclubbers, so far, are confirming what is on my mind (75% Tuck, 25% Ross is a significant advantage to Dartmouth).

As for the lifestyle, I really want to go to the best possible school. If people here present arguments that convince me that Ross=Tuck for someone with my aspirations, then the Hanover weight might be the deciding factor and I may decide to attend Michigan. If after all my brainstorm, I’m convinced that Tuck>Ross for a very tiny bit, I’m positive I’ll attend Tuck – even if it means living in the rural, isolated Hanover. How bad can be life there anyway????????? I’m taking my fiancé with me, hence the lack of a hardcore partying scene won’t break my legs anywhere I decide to go :-D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 406 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 2: 760  Q50  V42
Send PM
I have nothing to add as I have not visited either of these schools.

Although I paid my deposit to secure my place at Tuck, I wouldn't mind taking risk with it.

Let's see how this forum makes it easier for you to make a decision :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just got the call from Ross!!!!! I'm in!!!!!!!!!!

Now I have to think whether to deposit the 4k.

The fact is that i got a 20k scholarship from Tuck, and apparently 0 from Ross. If this is the case, I'm going to Dartmouth.

The Michigan lady didn't say anything about $$$ on the phone call, consequently I'm assuming that the school isn't giving me any $. I asked her about financial aid info and she told me that all I need to know will be sent on a letter on the 14th - I should have been more explicit about the scholarship issue :(

Anyway, I'll try to figure it out before I make Tuck's deposit.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Fellow Gclubbers,

I’ll try to keep this thread alive for a while, since this seems to be a no-brainer, but it has actually been on my mind more than 20 hours a day.

I put down Tuck’s 4k deposit, but I’m still reading Ross’ website and wondering if I’d be better in Ann Arbor or Hanover. Choosing between two top schools is tougher than I imagined.

I’m heavily tilted towards Tuck, however I can’t stop trying to gauge the schools’ offerings.

HOW CAN I STOP DOING THAT??????????????????????

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
Tuck is a rather remote and small. However, I think those are the only things that keep it from being spoken in the same breath as Kellogg, Booth, and MIT as solid top 5's. That said people in the know about MBA's will look at it as one of the best brands you can have despite its size. I looked at both schools and was going to apply to Tuck until I realized my wife would have no chance of furthering her career in Hanover. Ross would have been a R2 for me had I not gotten the Kellogg admit early on.

If I were single or had a wife that wouldn't be working, and had no significant scholarship from Ross...well I I would go with Tuck anyday. Its small but has very dedicated alums and a long established brand in the MBA world. If you want PE, I honestly think it will be a very uphill battle with your background. IB is possible out of both but I think Tuck will have the leg up. It also has a reputation of having older folks, recruiters at the school will probably value that as part of why they are there vs Ross which doesnt have that same rep...not a big deal but you never know.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
@2011hereIgo- Don't feel bad. I'm having the same "problem." I've been accepted to both and am 50/50 right now. My career goals seem to be different from yours though. I'm looking to go general/ops management for an industrial company.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
It also has a reputation of having older folks, recruiters at the school will probably value that as part of why they are there vs Ross which doesnt have that same rep...not a big deal but you never know.

That’s interesting. I’m an older folk myself (33). Should it be taken into consideration as a relevant factor within my decision process? This question leads to another intriguing question: Would it be easier for an experienced guy to get an IB gig at Tuck than at Ross?

Damn, I haven’t thought about that :o

+1 ripper
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
I dont think its going to be much of a differentiator but every little bit can help...honestly its going to be an uphill battle at 33 without some good prior experience in the banking world. That said it seems like recruiting for banking has steadily increased over the last few years so its leaps and bounds better than a few years ago.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
river- What are your thoughts about coming out of Tuck or Ross/Tauber and looking to get into a leadership development/rotational program for an industrial company?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
I dont think its going to be much of a differentiator but every little bit can help...honestly its going to be an uphill battle at 33 without some good prior experience in the banking world. That said it seems like recruiting for banking has steadily increased over the last few years so its leaps and bounds better than a few years ago.

The thing is that I’ve been getting mixed signals on this age thing. Some people say that it’s going to be a little tougher, others say that it makes no difference – given that you’re willing to work like a horse and cope with mad superiors bullsh#*; others say that it’s going to be an uphill battle.

That being said, my 2nd choice is strategy consulting, in which I believe Tuck has the placement edge, and the 3rd is remaining within the tech industry, in which I believe Michigan is stronger career wise.

I hope I can address such age/career issue at Dartmouth’s admit weekend. Until then, I’ll keep on reading everything I can and bothering you guys to get valuable info :-D

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
beagle46 wrote:
river- What are your thoughts about coming out of Tuck or Ross/Tauber and looking to get into a leadership development/rotational program for an industrial company?

I would bet more show up to recruit at Ross. I know the job I took they only recruited from Kellogg, Wharton, and Ross for tier 1 schools then a few second tier schools for same type of program but different final role. If you are looking at an industrial company there are a lot more of them in the Midwest than the Northeast. Then again there will be less competition at Tuck. Look at employment reports for companies you want to work for and talk to students in the GM and/or operations clubs to get the best insight.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
river- Thanks for your perspective.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
if it's not too late for you - you my be able to use the Tuck money to ask Ross if they can offer you something. $4k is a lot but 10 years fromnow will not matter - you should go where you really want to be. anyway never hurts to ask - worst that can happen is they say no.
GMAT Club Bot