Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:58 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance & Strategic Management
Schools:Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: Best U.S. schools for International Focus? [#permalink]
enkie wrote:
Thank you staind. I have a MPA in international economic policy so not sure if that would play against me if I applied to Lauder. But it's great to know that Wharton has a good international business focus. This is very helpful.

The only thing that could play against you is if you are a native speaker of the Wharton/Lauder track you intend to take. For example, I wasn't eligible for the Chinese track since both Chinese and English were my native languages. If your ability to speak/read/write in the target foreign language is on the same level as poetry then you can't apply to the program. Hopefully, that's not the case for you cause it's a really great and exciting program!

Originally posted by danerd on 10 Feb 2011, 14:43.
Last edited by danerd on 10 Feb 2011, 15:01, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
danerd wrote:
The only think that could play against you is if you are a native speaker of the Wharton/Lauder track you intend to take. For example, I wasn't eligible for the Chinese track since both Chinese and English were my native languages. If your ability to speak/read/write in the target foreign language is on the same level as poetry then you can't apply to the program. Hopefully, that's not the case for you cause it's a really great and exciting program!

Hhahaha ARGH!!!! That is totally my case! :) I have native fluency in both English and Mandarin Chinese. Although, I'd like to focus on Africa as well, so I may learn French since many of the countries are Francophone. There is also a lot of investment and economic activities between China and Africa, so I may want to see if I can get in on some of that action.

Danerd, did you apply already? Are you applying for Fall 2011 entry or Fall 2012?

I am also considering other European schools such as INSEAD, LBS, and Oxford.
Current Student
 Q50  V41
Send PM
The MPA would definitely not play against you, on the contrary it could be an advantage. Although I'm not sure if you can learn a language your way in to the program. I think you need to score at least an Advanced-Low on the OPI and not sure how easily that could be achieved in one year of language training. LBS and INSEAD are definitely good options. Although I'm not sure if I would go with Oxford over a top 10 US school. Just to give you some perspective, I wanted an international business focus as well and my first choice was Wharton/Lauder, my second choice was LBS or Booth, and my "back-up plan" if I didn't have any success with top schools in R1 and R2 was INSEAD for Jan 2012 entry. Although I'm somewhat skewed towards finance programs which impacted my choices as well. Booth also has some interesting options including an IMBA (International MBA) and some dual degree programs.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
staind wrote:
The MPA would definitely not play against you, on the contrary it could be an advantage. Although I'm not sure if you can learn a language your way in to the program. I think you need to score at least an Advanced-Low on the OPI and not sure how easily that could be achieved in one year of language training. LBS and INSEAD are definitely good options. Although I'm not sure if I would go with Oxford over a top 10 US school. Just to give you some perspective, I wanted an international business focus as well and my first choice was Wharton/Lauder, my second choice was LBS or Booth, and my "back-up plan" if I didn't have any success with top schools in R1 and R2 was INSEAD for Jan 2012 entry. Although I'm somewhat skewed towards finance programs which impacted my choices as well. Booth also has some interesting options including an IMBA (International MBA) and some dual degree programs.

Thank you for your advice Staind. It's very helpful. Ideally, I'd like to work for a European firm that is trying to penetrate the Asia and Africa markets, or exploit (is this a bad word to use?) the recent economic activities between the two continents. Another side to this is, I'd love to be able to work in Europe as my serious bf is based there. I think my top 2 choices are Wharton and LBS, with a slight preference for LBS since I'd like to be in Europe, at least for the duration of my studies.

Are you applying for Fall 2011 entry now? Or waiting until Fall 2012?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
any thoughts on Thunderbird?
Current Student
 Q50  V41
Send PM
enkie wrote:
staind wrote:

Thank you for your advice Staind. It's very helpful. Ideally, I'd like to work for a European firm that is trying to penetrate the Asia and Africa markets, or exploit (is this a bad word to use?) the recent economic activities between the two continents. Another side to this is, I'd love to be able to work in Europe as my serious bf is based there. I think my top 2 choices are Wharton and LBS, with a slight preference for LBS since I'd like to be in Europe, at least for the duration of my studies.

Are you applying for Fall 2011 entry now? Or waiting until Fall 2012?

I applied in R1 to both Wharton and LBS and was fortunate enough to get an admit at Wharton. I'm guessing you're applying this coming Fall? Its good that you're starting to think about schools right now.. trust me the months just fly by and before you know it the deadline is right in your face! I wanted to apply to 3-4 schools but I ended up spending so much time on the Wharton/Lauder application that I only managed to apply there and squeeze in a half hearted application to LBS despite starting with the application process in June.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Oh congratulations!! :)

Yes I am applying this coming fall. I hate to be rushed and have about 4 schools I want to apply to in Round 1. I am one of those insane planner people who love Excel spreadsheets, and I've already started one for my apps. But after browsing this forum some more, I am happy to find that I'm not alone! :D
GMAT Club Bot