Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:46 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1627 [158]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618865 [74]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [26]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [3]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Re: p and q are integers. If p is divisible by 10q and canno [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
banksy wrote:
p and q are integers. If p is divisible by 10^q and cannot be divisible by 10^(q + 1), what is the value of q?
(1) p is divisible by 2^5, but is not divisible by 2^6.
(2) p is divisible by 5^6, but is not divisible by 5^7

p is divisible by 10^q and cannot be divisible by 10^(q + 1) means that # of trailing zeros of p is q (p ends with q zeros).

(1) p is divisible by 2^5, but is not divisible by 2^6 --> # of trailing zeros, q, is less than or equal to 5: \(q\leq{5}\) (as for each trailing zero we need one 2 and one 5 in prime factorization of p then this statement says that there are enough 2-s for 5 zeros but we don't know how many 5-s are there). Not sufficient.

(2) p is divisible by 5^6, but is not divisible by 5^7 --> # of trailing zeros, q, is less than or equal to 6: \(q\leq{6}\) (there are enough 5-s for 6 zeros but we don't know how many 2-s are there). Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) 2-s and 5-s are enough for 5 trailing zeros: \(q=5\) (# of 2-s are limiting factor). Sufficient.

Answer: C.

From condition 1 and condition 2 it we got \(q\leq{5}\) and \(q\leq{6}\) so possible cases can be \(q\leq{5}\) so q can be anything 5,4,3,2,...... So both together aren't sufficient right?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [2]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Re: p and q are integers. If p is divisible by 10^q and cannot [#permalink]
Kudos
banksy wrote:
p and q are integers. If p is divisible by 10^q and cannot be divisible by 10^(q + 1), what is the value of q?

Yeah right on, what the question is really asking is what is the maximum number of trailing zeroes that P can have

With both statements together we get that the maximum number must be 5

Hence C is the correct answer

Hope it helps
Cheers!
J :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT Date: 02-14-2014
GPA: 2.3
WE:Other (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Re: p and q are integers. If p is divisible by 10q and canno [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
banksy wrote:

p is divisible by 10^q and cannot be divisible by 10^(q + 1) means that # of trailing zeros of p is q (p ends with q zeros).

(1) p is divisible by 2^5, but is not divisible by 2^6 --> # of trailing zeros, q, is less than or equal to 5: \(q\leq{5}\) (as for each trailing zero we need one 2 and one 5 in prime factorization of p then this statement says that there are enough 2-s for 5 zeros but we don't know how many 5-s are there). Not sufficient.

(2) p is divisible by 5^6, but is not divisible by 5^7 --> # of trailing zeros, q, is less than or equal to 6: \(q\leq{6}\) (there are enough 5-s for 6 zeros but we don't know how many 2-s are there). Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) 2-s and 5-s are enough for 5 trailing zeros: \(q=5\) (# of 2-s are limiting factor). Sufficient.

How do we know the question is asking us to use the concept of trailing zeroes. I understand the concept but how do we know that we have to apply trailing zeroes concept.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT Date: 04-30-2015
Send PM
jlgdr wrote:
banksy wrote:

Yeah right on, what the question is really asking is what is the maximum number of trailing zeroes that P can have

Hope it helps
Cheers!

Hi, I did not get part where you said it is asking for maximum number of trailing zeros. Is it because of statement 1) ? thanks in advance.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [5]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sunilp wrote:
jlgdr wrote:
banksy wrote:

Hope it helps
Cheers!

Hi, I did not get part where you said it is asking for maximum number of trailing zeros. Is it because of statement 1) ? thanks in advance.

What is the meaning of trailing zeroes?

102000 has 3 trailing zeroes i.e. 3 zeroes at the end.
1920040 has only 1 trailing zero.
Trailing zeroes means the number of zeroes at the end - after a non zero number.

Now think, 19200 = 192*100
So 19200 is divisible by 100 but not by 1000 or 10000 etc.
Since 19200 has 2 trailing zeroes, it will be divisible by 10^2 but not by 10^3 or 10^4 or 10^5 etc.

The question stem tells you that p is divisible by 10^q but not by 10^(q+1); this means that p has exactly q trailing zeroes.
For every 0 at the end, you need the number to be a multiple of 10 i.e. a 2 and a 5. Stmt 1 tells you that p has 5 2s and stmnt 2 tells you that p has 6 5s. Together, you can make only 5 10s. So q must be 5.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
from 1

we can see 2^5 can divide p but not 2^6. so can conclude that q is at most 5 or less(q<=5) depending upon no. of 5's available.(5*2=10)
so not sufficient.

from 2

we can see 5^6 can divide p but not 5^7. so can conclude that q is at most 6 or less(q<=6) depending upon no. of 2's available.(5*2=10)
so not sufficient.

Now taking both (1) & (2)
maximum no. of 2's available is 5 and maximum no. of 5's available is 6. so we can take five 2's and 5's i.e (2*5) five times.
hence sufficient.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V28
Send PM
p and q are integers. If p is divisible by 10^q and cannot [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
banksy wrote:

Hi Bunuel, I understand this reasoning but I don't understand how the # of 2s could be the limiting factor ? Indeed I thought that 5s were always the limiting factor considering that there were always enough 2s. Therefore at first I said that statement 2 ALONE was sufficient. Thank you for your explanation !
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618865 [0]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Expert Reply
chloe2m wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
banksy wrote:

Hi Bunuel, I understand this reasoning but I don't understand how the # of 2s could be the limiting factor ? Indeed I thought that 5s were always the limiting factor considering that there were always enough 2s. Therefore at first I said that statement 2 ALONE was sufficient. Thank you for your explanation !

Given that p is divisible by 10^q but not by 10^(q+1), the number of trailing zeros in p, which will be q, is determined by the lesser of the count of 2s and 5s in its prime factorization, since 10 = 2*5. In many cases, like when calculating the number of trailing zeros in p!, 2s are more common and thus 5s become the limiting factor. However, in this specific problem, we are dealing with p, not p!.

Statement (1) tells us that p is divisible by 2^5 but not by 2^6, meaning there are exactly five 2s in p's prime factorization. However, we don't know the number of 5's

Statement (2) says that p is divisible by 5^6 but not by 5^7, indicating there are exactly six 5s in p's prime factorization. However, we don't know the number of 2's.

When considering the statements together, the 2s are the limiting factor for the number of trailing zeros in p. Therefore, q equals 5, as there aren’t enough 2s to pair with all the 5s for more than five zeros.

Hope it's clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V28
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
chloe2m wrote:

Given that p is divisible by 10^q but not by 10^(q+1), the number of trailing zeros in p, which will be q, is determined by the lesser of the count of 2s and 5s in its prime factorization, since 10 = 2*5. In many cases, like when calculating the number of trailing zeros in p!, 2s are more common and thus 5s become the limiting factor. However, in this specific problem, we are dealing with p, not p!.

Statement (1) tells us that p is divisible by 2^5 but not by 2^6, meaning there are exactly five 2s in p's prime factorization. However, we don't know the number of 5's

Statement (2) says that p is divisible by 5^6 but not by 5^7, indicating there are exactly six 5s in p's prime factorization. However, we don't know the number of 2's.

When considering the statements together, the 2s are the limiting factor for the number of trailing zeros in p. Therefore, q equals 5, as there aren’t enough 2s to pair with all the 5s for more than five zeros.

Hope it's clear.

Yes ! Thank you that was very clear. I got indeed mistaken because I assumed p was a factorial and generalized that 5 would be the limiting factor. But as you said in this case 2 is the limiting factor and thus there are 5 trailing zeros (q = 5).
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92900 posts