Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [13]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Ask ARINGO MBA Admissions Consulting [#permalink]
Hi Gil,
That's impressive! it might give some hope to many candidates...
Speaking of GMAT, what in your opinion is the schools’ attitude to candidates who took the GMAT more than once? Can it hurt them?

Thanks in advance!
Send PM
Michael,

In most cases (unless specifically stated otherwise by the school), the lower scores have relatively low (or zero) impact, and the higher score counts the most by far.
Good luck!

Gil Levi
Aringo.com
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Good to know, thanks Gil!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Michael54,
Many schools have FAQ page on their website, where you can see how will they consider multiple GMAT scores. most schools will indeed consider your highest score.

Originally posted by bizwiz6 on 25 Feb 2011, 03:10.
Last edited by bizwiz6 on 27 Feb 2011, 03:05, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
GilLevi wrote:
On the basis of the information provided in the above link, and under the assumption of strong essays and recommendations, our experience shows that you will be a competitive candidate at USC and Indiana (both are quite strong in marketing), competitive-to-strong at Babson (entrepreneurship), competitive to stretch (closer to competitive) at Texas (McCombs) and stretch and Kellogg and Michigan (the last 3 are fairly strong in marketing).

Hope this helps.
Good luck!
Gil Levi
Aringo.com

Dear Gil,
I scored a 710 (92) with a verbal raw score of 40 (89) and quantitative raw score of 48 (82) on my re-take (a 60 point improvement over my last score of 650/37/44). Will this improve my competitiveness in the above mentioned business schools? If so, to what degree?
In addition to the above schools, are there other schools which I must consider? I plan to apply for the final round of intake for Fall 2012.

Thank you
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks

What an improvement! Well done!
Yes, this does make a significant difference. Our experience shows that you will be a competitive-to-strong (closer to competitive) candidate at USC and Indiana, competitive-to-strong (closer to strong) at Babson, competitive at Texas (McCombs), competitive-to-stretch at Michigan and competitive-to-stretch (closer to stretch) and Kellogg. Consider adding Duke and UCLA (competitive-to-stretch, closer to competitive in both) to your list.

Good luck!

Gil Levi
Aringo.com

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Female
GMAT: 670 (Q49V33)
Working experience: 6+ years in marketing - 4 years in China and other 2 years HongKong, and some other international experience - all big multinational companies
Undergrad major: marketing

I'm thinking about these schools for MBA:

Oxford
Dartmouth
Columbia
NYU
Emory
Georgetown
Duke
Cornell

Please can you share with me your recommendations? and what you think my chances are? Do you think I should take GMAT again?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Bookmarks
Thank you very much for your time.

I am currently working at a large pharmaceutical company in the area of marketing/analytics.

Prior to that, I was a strategy/management consultant to the pharmaceutical sector for 7 years.

I graduated with a 3.1 GPA from MIT majoring in Chemical Engineering in 2002. Took the GMAT and scored a 710--50 Quant and 38 Verbal (breakdown may be off, but total score is correct).

Wondering about my candidacy for Fall of 2012. I know that I am an older candidate and I will apply part time as a safety.

Thank you again.
Intern
Intern
 Q44  V27
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Hello,
My Gmat 600 Q44, V27
MS in Chemical Engineering with GPA 3.75 - University of Maine
3.5 Years of Experience in Specialty Chemicals & Pulp and Paper Industry
I live in Trenton, NJ
Can you please suggest me business schools Part Time MBA.
What are my chances in
NYU, Temple, Drexel, Rutgers (let me know if you have other programs in mind)
If NYU is not the option which is best among others?
Thank you,
Homasote.
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [2]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Female
GMAT: 670 (Q49V33)
Working experience: 6+ years in marketing - 4 years in China and other 2 years HongKong, and some other international experience - all big multinational companies
Undergrad major: marketing

Oxford
Dartmouth
Columbia
NYU
Emory
Georgetown
Duke
Cornell

Please can you share with me your recommendations? and what you think my chances are? Do you think I should take GMAT again?

On the basis of the information above, and under the assumption of strong essays and recommendations and a GMAT score of 670, our experience shows that you will be a competitive-to-strong candidate (closer to competitive) at Emory and Georgetown (check if you meet Georgetown's undergrad degree requirements), competitive at Tuck and Oxford and competitive-to-stretch (closer to competitive) at Duke and Cornell, competitive-to-stretch at NYU and stretch at Columbia.

Yes, if you can get that GMAT score up to the 700, that could make a significant difference. As you can see on our site we had clients get into Duke with 600 and 640 and into Tuck with 650, but a 700 could make it much easier... also, given your interest in marketing, possibly consider Kellogg and Michigan (Ross).

Good luck!
Gil Levi
Aringo.com
Send PM
Thank you very much for your time.

I am currently working at a large pharmaceutical company in the area of marketing/analytics.

Prior to that, I was a strategy/management consultant to the pharmaceutical sector for 7 years.

I graduated with a 3.1 GPA from MIT majoring in Chemical Engineering in 2002. Took the GMAT and scored a 710--50 Quant and 38 Verbal (breakdown may be off, but total score is correct).

Wondering about my candidacy for Fall of 2012. I know that I am an older candidate and I will apply part time as a safety.

For the purpose of this answer I am assuming that you are American, male, and around 31 years old. On the basis of the information above, and under the assumption of strong essays and recommendations, our experience shows that you will be a competitive candidate at programs such as Duke and Darden, competitive-to-strong at programs such as USC and UNC, and competitive-to-stretch at programs such as Columbia and Kellogg.

Thank you again.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Gil Levi
Aringo.com
Send PM
Hello,
My Gmat 600 Q44, V27
MS in Chemical Engineering with GPA 3.75 - University of Maine
3.5 Years of Experience in Specialty Chemicals & Pulp and Paper Industry
I live in Trenton, NJ
Can you please suggest me business schools Part Time MBA.
What are my chances in
NYU, Temple, Drexel, Rutgers (let me know if you have other programs in mind)
If NYU is not the option which is best among others?
On the basis of the information above, and under the assumption of strong essays and recommendations, our experience shows that you will be a competitive candidate at Temple and Drexel, competitive-to-stretch (or possibly competitive, I am not sure) at Rutgers, and stretch at NYU. I am not familiar with other part-time programs where you would be a competitive candidate.

Thank you,
Homasote.
Good luck!
Gil Levi
Aringo.com
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:IE Business School, Manchester Business School, HEC Paris, Rotterdam School of Management, Babson College
GPA: 2.5
Send PM
Male
GMAT: 510 ( Giving again in June aiming for 690 +)
Working experience: 4+ years in Banking ( Corporate/ Retail/Risk) - 2 years in Dubai, UAE and other 2 years Pakistan. Recruited in international structured program with workshop experience in Malaysia/Singapore.
Undergrad major: Liberal Arts School in Iowa -Business Administration/ Political Science
GPA: 2.7
Extra curriculars (Undergrad): Resident Assistant, Fraternity, Tutor, Campus jobs, International Club, Political Science club.
Alumni support letters: Columbia/Cornell/Penn ( How much impact do they have)

Cornell
Dartmouth
Columbia
NYU
Michigan
Northwestern
Chicago
Penn
Emory
Berkely

Please can you share with me your recommendations? and what you think my chances are?
Send PM
Male
GMAT: 510 ( Giving again in June aiming for 690 +)
Working experience: 4+ years in Banking ( Corporate/ Retail/Risk) - 2 years in Dubai, UAE and other 2 years Pakistan. Recruited in international structured program with workshop experience in Malaysia/Singapore.
Undergrad major: Liberal Arts School in Iowa -Business Administration/ Political Science
GPA: 2.7
Extra curriculars (Undergrad): Resident Assistant, Fraternity, Tutor, Campus jobs, International Club, Political Science club.
Alumni support letters: Columbia/Cornell/Penn ( How much impact do they have)Columbia: low impact, Wharton: low-to-negligible impact, Cornell: low-to-medium impact

Cornell
Dartmouth
Columbia
NYU
Michigan
Northwestern
Chicago
Penn
Emory
Berkely

Please can you share with me your recommendations? and what you think my chances are?

On the basis of the information above, and under the assumption of strong essays and recommendations and GMAT score of 690, our experience shows that you will be a competitive-to-strong candidate at Emory (closer to competitive), competitive-to-stretch (closer to competitive) at Berkeley, Tuck, Cornell, Michigan and NYU, and stretch at Columbia, Chicago, Kellogg and Wharton.
My biggest recommendation would be to significantly improve the GMAT - good that you're working on it.
Good luck!
Gil Levi
Aringo.com

MBA Essay Examples

Originally posted by GilLevi on 13 Mar 2011, 03:05.
Last edited by GilLevi on 04 Mar 2012, 00:07, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Dear Gil,

I know that different programs have specific focus/specialization, and i'm wondering if it has any effect on the recruiting process.
Does the fact that a program's focus is international management somehow diminish its appeal to American recruiters?
Send PM
According to out experience, for most US recruiters the focus on international management doesn't add to the appeal of the program and doesn't take away from it. If the focus is, for example, on finance, it increases the candidate's "appeal" to banks and other financial institutions.

According to our experience, the focus on international management is not particularly appealing to most MBA recruiters. However, there are likely to be a few specific recruiters (or, even more likely, specific hiring managers), not necessarily in any specific industry, who are particularly excited about strength in international business and who specifically seek such people. This interest may stem from the fact that the hiring manager is a graduate of such program (like Lauder) or that the hiring manager/s came to the professional conclusion that in their particular case this is exactly what they now need.
Good luck!

Gil Levi
Aringo.com

Put Me in Business (applying in less than a year)
Put Me in Business (applying in more than a year)
MBA essay examples
Get A Free Chances Indication

Originally posted by GilLevi on 20 Mar 2011, 23:50.
Last edited by GilLevi on 24 Jan 2012, 00:11, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.55
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Hi Gil. I'd love to hear your advice. Here is my profile:

Nationality: USA (of Indian origin)

Education:
BS in Economics/Finance with Honors (May 2010) - Graduated in 3 years
GPA: 3.55
GMAT: 700 Q47, V38

Work Experience:
Analyst at JP Morgan Chase (July 2010 - Present)
Owner/Director of Sales of an import/retail company specializing in high end jewelry products (May 2008 - Present)
Internship at CIT Group in Corporate Finance Operations (Summer 2008, Summer 2009)

Extracurriculars:
Involvement with many organizations during college with leadership positions (including governing body for student organizations)
-Organized a conference for 200 students
-Treasurer to oversee allocation of funds to all student organizations
-Founded Debate Society

Schools:
1. Harvard
2. University of Pennsylvania (Wharton)
3. University of Chicago (Booth)
4. Columbia
5. NYU (Stern)
6. Yale
7. Cornell (Johnson)

After my MBA I want to go into Finance/Investment Banking. I'm looking to apply for Fall 2012. What do you think are my chances at the schools I've listed?

Also I've pretty much decided to retake the GMAT to try to get a 750-760. Do you think that's the right move?

Thanks again!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  75