Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:10 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 266 [37]
Given Kudos: 66
Schools:UC Berkley, UCLA
GMAT 2: 540 GMAT 3: 530
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618603 [15]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 266 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Schools:UC Berkley, UCLA
GMAT 2: 540 GMAT 3: 530
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools:Haas, HBS, UNC, Duke, Kellogg, etc
WE 1: Investment Banking Domain, Functionally-Technology
Send PM
Re: In a sequence of terms in which each term is three times the [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
mariyea wrote:
In a sequence of terms in which each term is three times the previous term, what is the fourth term?

(1) The first term is 3.

(2) The second-to-last term is 3^10.

I think the ans should be D. But OA is different.

In a sequence of terms in which each term is three times the previous term, what is the fourth term?

(1) The first term is 3 --> sequence is: 3, 9, 27, 81, ... so the fourth term is 81. Sufficient.

(2) The second-to-last term is 3^10 --> since we don't know how many terms are there in the sequence then we don't know which term is second-to-last. For example: if it's third term then fourth (and last) will be 3^11, if it's fifth term then the fourth term is 3^9, ... Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

You are truly awesome .. with DS.... i kinda assumed it to be 2nd term when said 2nd to last assuming that there r only 4 terms...thanks bunuel...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
mariyea wrote:

(1) The first term is 3.

regarding the second statement. Someone could interpret the second-to-last term as the ratio between the second and the last term.

Since we know that it is an exponential expression dividing the second with the last term should result a fraction smaller than 1. Therefore, someone could assume that the second statement is wrong.

is my reasoning valid?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618603 [2]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
SonyGmat wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
mariyea wrote:

(1) The first term is 3.

regarding the second statement. Someone could interpret the second-to-last term as the ratio between the second and the last term.

Since we know that it is an exponential expression dividing the second with the last term should result a fraction smaller than 1. Therefore, someone could assume that the second statement is wrong.

is my reasoning valid?

Responding to a pm.

If it were the case it would have been something like "the ratio of second to last term is ..."

Also on the GMAT, two data sufficiency statements always provide TRUE information and these statements never contradict each other. So if on the GMAT your interpretation of the statements leads you to conclude that the statements are impossible/incorrect or contradict each other then the case would be that your interpretation is wrong not the statements.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
thanks brunel for pointing out.. you are a jem
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
mariyea wrote:

(1) The first term is 3.

(1) The first term is 3 --> sequence is: 3, 9, 27, 81, ... so the fourth term is 81. Sufficient.

(2) The second-to-last term is 3^10 --> since we don't know how many terms are there in the sequence then we don't know which term is second-to-last. For example: if it's third term then fourth (and last) will be 3^11, if it's fifth term then the fourth term is 3^9, ... Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

Hi Bunuel, since the question states that each term is 3 times another term, it means that for the nth term, the value will be 3^n. So I assumed that the 10th term is 3^10, last term is 3^11 and 4th term is 3^4. What was the flaw in my logic?
Thanks in advance.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
sarathvr wrote:

Hi Bunuel, since the question states that each term is 3 times another term, it means that for the nth term, the value will be 3^n. So I assumed that the 10th term is 3^10, last term is 3^11 and 4th term is 3^4. What was the flaw in my logic?
Thanks in advance.

You are not interpreting the text in red above correctly.

When you say "3 times the other term", it means that if the 1st term is a, then the 2nd term is 3a, 3rd term is 3a*3=9a etc. Thus the sequence becomes

a,3a,9a,27a .... and NOT 3^n as you have mentioned.

This is where you are making a mistake.

Hope this helps.
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16592 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Expert Reply
Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In DS, Variable approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember equal number of variables and independent equations ensures a solution.

(1) The first term is 3.

Modify the original condition and the question and suppose the sequence A_n. Then it becomes A_(n+1)=3A_(n) and once you figure out A_(1), you can figure out everything. So there is 1 variable, which should match with the number of equations. So you need 1 equation. For 1) 1 equation, for 2) 1 equation, which is likely to make D the answer.
For 1), A_(1)=3 -> A_(2)=3^2, A_(3)=3^3, A_(4)=3^4, which is unique and sufficient.
For 2), you can’t figure out where the last term comes, which is not sufficient. Therefore, the answer is A.

 For cases where we need 1 more equation, such as original conditions with “1 variable”, or “2 variables and 1 equation”, or “3 variables and 2 equations”, we have 1 equation each in both 1) and 2). Therefore, there is 59 % chance that D is the answer, while A or B has 38% chance and C or E has 3% chance. Since D is most likely to be the answer using 1) and 2) separately according to DS definition. Obviously there may be cases where the answer is A, B, C or E.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6270 [1]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM