Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:09 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2443 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2217 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: What is the value of x? (i) Distance of x from y is the same [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Anurag@Gurome wrote:
we can easily conclude that both the options together is not sufficient as none of them tells us any value of x or y.

No, you cannot draw that conclusion reliably on a real GMAT question. First, the question does, in fact, mention a value, namely zero. It's also quite easy to reword the question so that the information is in fact sufficient, even without mentioning any value of x or y:

If y is positive, what is the value of x?

(1) The distance between x and y on the number line is equal to the distance between y and zero
(2) On the number line, x is to the left of y

There's no mention of any values here besides zero, but the answer is C; using both statements, x must be zero. I'd find this version of the question more interesting (and more GMAT-like) than the version in the original post, since many people will simply pick E rather quickly and move on. Real GMAT DS questions are very often designed to trap the test taker who uses overly simplistic criteria to pick an answer; if you reason that "the question doesn't mention any values so the answer must be E", you'll be picking the wrong answer a lot of the time.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
IanStewart wrote:
Anurag@Gurome wrote:
we can easily conclude that both the options together is not sufficient as none of them tells us any value of x or y.

No, you cannot draw that conclusion reliably on a real GMAT question. First, the question does, in fact, mention a value, namely zero. It's also quite easy to reword the question so that the information is in fact sufficient, even without mentioning any value of x or y:

(1) The distance between x and y on the number line is equal to the distance between y and zero

There's no mention of any values here besides zero, but the answer is C; using both statements, x must be zero. I'd find this version of the question more interesting (and more GMAT-like) than the version in the original post, since many people will simply pick E rather quickly and move on. Real GMAT DS questions are very often designed to trap the test taker who uses overly simplistic criteria to pick an answer; if you reason that "the question doesn't mention any values so the answer must be E", you'll be picking the wrong answer a lot of the time.

Ian,

In this question, we are not told whether y is positive or negative. If y is negative and x lies to the right of y, indeed x will be zero. But if y is positive, x will not be zero.

May I ask whether you have reworded the same question? If yes then why did you assume y is positive?
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [0]
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmatpapa wrote:
Ian,

In this question, we are not told whether y is positive or negative. If y is negative and x lies to the right of y, indeed x will be zero. But if y is positive, x will not be zero.

May I ask whether you have reworded the same question? If yes then why did you assume y is positive?

Yes, as I wrote: "It's also quite easy to reword the question...". I added the condition y > 0 to illustrate that one cannot always glance at a question, say 'oh, the question doesn't mention any values so the answer is E' and hope to get the right answer all of the time; that only works some of the time.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2443 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Send PM
In the case where x is to the left of y, the single value
of x must be a zero.

Without this constraint, the OA is surely E. Thanks guys for all
your valuable contributions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 496 [0]
Given Kudos: 161
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.9
WE 1: Business Development
Send PM
hmmm a question. if they never gave us any info about the value of Y - how can we know the value of X?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
144144 wrote:
hmmm a question. if they never gave us any info about the value of Y - how can we know the value of X?

See, value is not actually necessary as pointed out by Ian. But there is actually no property of y mentioned either. So in the context of this question, we cannot find out the value for x. We can safely pick E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 496 [0]
Given Kudos: 161
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.9
WE 1: Business Development
Send PM
that is exactly what I am saying... we do not need to think too much... no value of Y so no matter what info they give - you will never be able to know whats the value of X...
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [1]
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
144144 wrote:
that is exactly what I am saying... we do not need to think too much... no value of Y so no matter what info they give - you will never be able to know whats the value of X...

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my post above. Try to apply that line of reasoning to this question, which is different from the one in the original post above:

If you use the reasoning you're suggesting, you'll quickly choose 'E' and move on. The answer is not E, it's C; using both statements, x must be zero.

There are several real GMAT questions which seem to be specifically designed to trap test takers who use overly simplistic 'tricks' to guess at the right answer. Be careful.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
IanStewart wrote:
144144 wrote:

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my post above. Try to apply that line of reasoning to this question, which is different from the one in the original post above:

If you use the reasoning you're suggesting, you'll quickly choose 'E' and move on. The answer is not E, it's C; using both statements, x must be zero.

There are several real GMAT questions which seem to be specifically designed to trap test takers who use overly simplistic 'tricks' to guess at the right answer. Be careful.

Good example. Of course many a GMAT question sets traps such as this.
But if its mentioned in the problem that Y is positive, its not exactly same as the original question, where no property of Y is given to us. Right?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
My question is regarding semantic interpretation of the question.
First statement says:Distance of x from y is the same as y from zero. Why do we depict this statement as Ix-yI and not Iy-xI?
If we presume that second version is acceptable, then the only value for x is 0. And thus the ans is A. What am I missing?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [0]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
What is the value of x?

(i) Distance of x from y is the same as y from zero

Let x=0; y=-5
Distance from x to y=5
y to 0 = 5.
Satisfies the condition. Value of x=0

Let x=0; y=5
Distance from x to y=5
y to 0 = 5
Satisfies the condition. Value of x=0

Let x=10; y=5
Distance from x to y = 5
y to 0 = 5
Satisfies the condition. Value of x=10

Let x=-10; y=-5
Distance from x to y = 5
y to 0 = 5
Satisfies the condition. Value of x=-10

We have three different values for x. 0,10,-10; Not sufficient.

(ii) x is to the right of y

Let x=0; y=-5
Distance from x to y=5
y to 0 = 5.
Satisfies the condition that x is to the right of y. Value of x=0

Let x=10; y=5
Distance from x to y = 5
y to 0 = 5
Satisfies the condition that x is to the right of y. Value of x=10

Two values of x. Not sufficient.

Combining both;
Let x=0; y=-5
Distance from x to y=5
y to 0 = 5.
Satisfies both conditions that x is to the right of y and distance between x and y is same as distance between y and 0. Value of x=0

Let x=10; y=5
Distance from x to y = 5
y to 0 = 5
Satisfies both conditions that x is to the right of y and distance between x and y is same as distance between y and 0. Value of x=10

Two values of x. Not sufficient.

When algebra clouds my mind; I temporarily resort to the sample sets for the clarification.

Had we considered the absolute value paradigm;

|x-y| = |y|

This means;
x-y=-y
x=0
OR(a big OR)
x-y=y
x=2y

|y-x| = |y|

This means;
y-x=-y
x=2y
OR(a big OR)
y-x=y
x=0

Choose anyway; we have two different possible values for x for any value of y. x's exact value can't be determined with given conditions.

Ans: "E"
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Data Sufficiency (DS) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92901 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts
GMAT Tutor
1905 posts