Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: fire fighter [#permalink]
I say go for it! Life is too short to be wondering about what to do ;)

Cheers Dude!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Entwistle wrote:
I say go for it! Life is too short to be wondering about what to do ;)

Cheers Dude!

thanks man, kinda excited... like one day to tell my kinds, you know what i was a firefighter, also great pick-up liner...
also it does feel like a fun experience, as i understood it really becomes like a club
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I was a volunteer firefighter for a few years after college. I also went through the academy while still in undergrad. The practice fires are a lot of fun (seriously its awesome). However, the real deal is not really that cool. Plus a lot of what you deal with is things like car accidents and other unfun stuff.

Depending on the department it can be a low demand or high demand activity. Some companies are pretty understanding but others aren't...before you go making a commitment you should talk with your employer about their views. I rarely ever left work but if there was a call at 2am and I spent the night out then I sure wasn't at work in peak form first thing in the morning.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
I was a volunteer firefighter for a few years after college. I also went through the academy while still in undergrad. The practice fires are a lot of fun (seriously its awesome). However, the real deal is not really that cool. Plus a lot of what you deal with is things like car accidents and other unfun stuff.

Depending on the department it can be a low demand or high demand activity. Some companies are pretty understanding but others aren't...before you go making a commitment you should talk with your employer about their views. I rarely ever left work but if there was a call at 2am and I spent the night out then I sure wasn't at work in peak form first thing in the morning.

well, most is car accidents (i went to talk to them)

so i would start training late march.

since i am single i would do the night shifts. that is, sleeping there for 2 weeks and resting for one month. It is not that busy, like some nights they get a call, and others they dont (on average they get 2.8 calls per day). They actually have a log in their website showing when they get calls and at what time and i would say that they dont get calls all nights and most likely just one call per night.
so, if there is a call you just wake up and stand in front of the truck and they tell you if you get on it, although he told me that newbies are so excited that they just jumpo on it.
it seems like a cool experience, it really seemed as a boys club, they have a pool, a pool table, and stuff. they have parties and in thos 2 weeks when you have to sleep over you might take one or two nights off to go out with your friends.
Manager
Manager
Status:Taking heavily leveraged but calculated risks at all times
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 01-31-2012
Send PM
I am an advanced fire fighter myself ( more of a job requisite than a hobby ) and volunteer whenever I can in the local community and I would say its a brave thing to take it up and a very noble one at that. But dont go by the "coolness" factor of it. The job can get pretty tough, dangerous and testing at times.

i say, weigh your options carefully before going in.. like before fighting any fire :D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Volunteers? Shoot in California they get paid about 100k a year, and get to retire at about 50 years old with 90% of their salaries for the rest of their life....pretty good gig.
GMAT Club Bot