Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:47 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3460 [96]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Knewton GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [28]
Concentration: Sentence Correction, Critical Reasoning, Reading Comprehension, Problem Solving, Data Sufficiency
Schools:BA New School, PhD Candidate CUNY
 Q50  V47
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [21]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Tuck,Cornell,Duke
 Q47  V20 GMAT 2: 560  Q45  V22
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Send PM
Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a focus the high [#permalink]
Can you please tell me the source as well....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [8]
Given Kudos: 112
Send PM
Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a focus the high [#permalink]
Kudos
amneetpadda wrote:
Can you please tell me the source as well....

hi

if you see carefully its avery old post hence the author may not be very active on the forum !!...

Guys , for a second I was confused in deciding whether the media is singular or plural word ......

So i read the question again ....see carefully in the second part it says but they have generally overlooked

hence the question itself tells you ....once this as done then straight C ...cheers
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3525 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Hi Adam.....you nailed it ....its the word media that led me to choose a wrong ans. I do see expenditures as plural. How do you suggest i tackle this..thanks
Knewton GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [2]
Concentration: Sentence Correction, Critical Reasoning, Reading Comprehension, Problem Solving, Data Sufficiency
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Again, there's another word later on that tells us whether "media" is singular or plural. Once you see this, there's no longer any question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3525 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
ah !..have focussed on high costs !
Knewton GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [15]
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
The clue I'm actually talking about is the pronoun "they" later in the sentence. They is plural, and it's not underlined, and it without question refers to the "media." Thus, MEDIA IS PLURAL, so if media is the subject, it must be "have."

Whenever you have a confusion over subject/verb, look for a pronoun clue; whenever you have confusion over pronoun/antecedent, look for a verb clue. It doesn't always work, but sometimes there's extra info dropped for you there!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
True- the textual ‘the media has had as a focus' is grammatically wrong because of number disagreement.

However the issue here is whether choice D is correct. If that choice were to be discussed in an independent context, I would say it is a perfect sentence with a plural subject and a plural verb. But if the topic were a GMAT question, and if there were serious grammatical errors in choices ABCE, leaving only D as the best of the bads, then we may have to reconcile to D in spite of the distorted intent. In GMAT can you skip a question? You won't get the next question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
Send PM
Kudos
Can anyone explain why D is incorrect here?

Media can very well be either singular or plural. D takes into account the use of "they" by using a plural subject. Also, I'm not sure how it can be reasoned in good faith that "analyses" cannot focus or ignore.

I just can't see why D is the wrong option. Since media can take either a plural or singular verb, while analyses must take a plural verb, is D not the more fool proof option?

I have read everything in this thread and the MGMAT thread. The common line is that the analyses cannot "overlook" something. However, can we not say "his analysis of the problem overlooks several key factors...." Is that not a correct sentence?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1587 [7]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
forevertfc wrote:
Can anyone explain why D is incorrect here?

Media can very well be either singular or plural. D takes into account the use of "they" by using a plural subject. Also, I'm not sure how it can be reasoned in good faith that "analyses" cannot focus or ignore.

I just can't see why D is the wrong option. Since media can take either a plural or singular verb, while analyses must take a plural verb, is D not the more fool proof option?

I have read everything in this thread and the MGMAT thread. The common line is that the analyses cannot "overlook" something. However, can we not say "his analysis of the problem overlooks several key factors...." Is that not a correct sentence?

Before we start looking at the options, let's do some pre-thinking and remove modifiers and prep phrases (that are not underlined)

Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a focus the high costs and low ethics of campaign finance, but they have generally overlooked the cost of actually administering elections, which includes facilities, transport, printing, staffing, and technology.

Also, the subject of the second independent clause is plural, and hence media must be plural.

A. Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a focus
Wrong option as media is singular. Doesn't agree with the question stem.

B. Analyses of campaign expenditures by the media has been focus on
they seem to refer to analyses. Wrong.
C. In analyzing campaign expenditures, the media have focused on
The media have focused on X, but they have overlooked Y - perfect construction with SV agreeing in number. Also, the co-ordinating conjunction 'but' separates the independent clauses well. No issues.
D. Media analyses of campaign expenditures have had as a focus
they refers to media analyses and hence this choice is wrong. How can media analyses overlook the cost of actually administering elections ? So D, is wrong.
E. In their analysis of campaign expenditures, the media has been focusing on
SV error again

Hope this is clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 601 [5]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE:Investment Banking (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Kudos
Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a focus the high costs and low ethics of campaign finance, but they have generally overlooked the cost of actually administering elections, which includes facilities, transport, printing, staffing, and technology.

(A) Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a focus
- "media has" = incorrectly singular. hint: in the non-underlined part of the passage, "they have" -- so media = plural.

(B) Analyses of campaign expenditures by the media has been focus on
- same as "A"

(C) In analyzing campaign expenditures, the media have focused on
- correct as is

(D) Media analyses of campaign expenditures have had as a focus
- "media analyses ... have had as a focus" = awkward, wordy, and passive.

(E) In their analysis of campaign expenditures, the media has been focusing on
- same as "A"

definitely a helpful tip to pay attention to pronouns/other info that is not underlined so you can anchor what words to use in the underlined portion

kudos please if you find this helpful :)
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [3]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos

(A) Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a focus - Subject-verb agreement issue -- Media is plural here -- they have..

(B) Analyses of campaign expenditures by the media has been focus on - they refers to analyses

(C) In analyzing campaign expenditures, the media have focused on - Correct

(D) Media analyses of campaign expenditures have had as a focus - parallelism issue - have had as a focus... but have overlooked...

(E) In their analysis of campaign expenditures, the media has been focusing on - Subject-verb agreement issue as A

Answer C
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
The intent of the question to say that the media have and not the media analyses have. D distorts the original purpose and hence is not so good as C.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
nakib77 wrote:
Source : GMATPrep Default Exam Pack

(A) Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a focus

(B) Analyses of campaign expenditures by the media has been focused on

(C) In analyzing campaign expenditures, the media have focused on

(D) Media analyses of campaign expenditures have had as a focus

(E) In their analysis of campaign expenditures, the media has been focusing on

VeritasKarishma AndrewN EducationAisle

Is D incorrect because "they" would refer to "media analyses" and not "media"? And it is the media that have overlooked and not the analyses.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you in advance!
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [3]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos