Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:49 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
One could certainly argue that BW is more reliable but I am not so sure this is true for the "international" ranking. One aspect of BW that makes me a bit uneasy is that the total number of international schools evaluated is quite small and there are few schools (if any) in the southern hemisphere.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
thats a good point regarding the International schools. Its not as focused as the US schools. I will check out the other rankings and balance all.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]

Originally posted by Hjort on 21 Feb 2005, 16:55.
Last edited by Hjort on 03 Jul 2005, 12:47, edited 4 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Not sure why this is (having not visited/not knowing any alumni), but there is this "silence" around York whenever the subject of canadian business schools comes up.

Both here and on business week's forum (which is excellent, by the way), the argument seems to be Ivey vs Rotman all the time.

Am I missing something here? Is it the concern about the recruitment stats (i.e. including part-timers), or something else I'm not picking up from the rankings/brochures etc. The facilities look great, the course looks fine, and the electives on csr, ethics, and endorsement from "beyond pinstripes" report look impressive.

Paul, I'd be grateful if you have any info or could re-direct me to a thread if it already exists. A visit is not an option (paris-based) so would welcome some insight.

Thanks, Steve
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
A partial explanation might be that York is younger than University of Toronto and Western Ontario. Academic reputations especially for the "person on the street" can take a long time to develop.

International rankings have often viewed York as stronger than Western and having a similar rank to that of Toronto (as always, I urge readers not to take these rankings too seriously).

For instance, EIU 2004 ranked York far ahead of Western (#22 vs. #75!).
FT2005 again places York ahead of Western (#22 vs. #34) and just behind Toronto. FT2004 again placed York ahead of Western (#22 vs. #29) and near Toronto.

A look at CEO production might be informative as well. Note how two major financial services firms in Canada are headed by York MBAs (Scotiabank and CIBC).

The following thread covers some Canada MBA issues:
https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=17007
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sounds feasible - although it's easier for a new player to break into the market with a strong brand name behind them and good marketing: it's working for Oxford Said.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
You make a good point regarding Said. However, Said's parent institution is one of the best known universities in the world so it has an advantage relative to a school like Schulich in which the parent university has existed for less than 50 years.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Oxford has a very good brand name but Hjort, when you talked about elite schools, you never mentioned anything about Said. How would you view it?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Send PM
Re: York (Schulich) [#permalink]
thanks!
Manager
Manager
Status:Preparing myself to break the sound( 700 )-barrier!
Affiliations: IFC - Business Edge, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute
Own Kudos [?]: 226 [2]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Kudos
I am looking for pursuing an MBA in a renowned/prestigious B-school. I understand, one needs to analyze so many variables when selecting/choosing a B-school that matches the person's ambition and personality.

But, while choosing a good B-school, I am also concerned about its ACCREDITATION by AACSB, EQUIS, or AMBA. Am I doing something really silly? Because some of my fellow friends say that, as long as a school is a match for you and is ranked in a widely-accepted B-School ranking, you never have to bother about accreditation. They mostly cite one name Schulich:York along with (sometimes) Melbourne BS.

My point is here, if accreditation doesn't play that much role in selecting a B-school, then why it is for?
GMAT Club Bot