Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:45 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools:HBS (interviewing), Kellogg (admit), Columbia (admit)
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink]
Even though I have not yet been accepted to an MBA program I have interviewed with several MBAs, and am worried about the background check, I was 100% truthfull in my application, the problem is I am from Mexico and because of the current violence/drug war ocurring in my city it is company policy to not release ANY information pertaining to employees, the HR department cannot even confirm that I work at my company if someone calls (several extorsions have already happened). I would have to talk to the entire HR department and let them know my application situation, the problem is only 2 people in the company (my reccomenders) know I am applying for an MBA, and because of the complicated financial situation my company is in I am afraid that If I let the entire HR department know my situation I could be laid off immediately to prevent others that want to stay in the company from being laid off. The people who do my background check could talk to my reccomenders (immediate superior and other supervisor), but I am not sure what would happen with the HR department. What should I do??? Am I making to big a deal before I even have a background check????
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Tuck Class of 2013
Send PM
chuyrulez wrote:
Even though I have not yet been accepted to an MBA program I have interviewed with several MBAs, and am worried about the background check, I was 100% truthfull in my application, the problem is I am from Mexico and because of the current violence/drug war ocurring in my city it is company policy to not release ANY information pertaining to employees, the HR department cannot even confirm that I work at my company if someone calls (several extorsions have already happened). I would have to talk to the entire HR department and let them know my application situation, the problem is only 2 people in the company (my reccomenders) know I am applying for an MBA, and because of the complicated financial situation my company is in I am afraid that If I let the entire HR department know my situation I could be laid off immediately to prevent others that want to stay in the company from being laid off. The people who do my background check could talk to my reccomenders (immediate superior and other supervisor), but I am not sure what would happen with the HR department. What should I do??? Am I making to big a deal before I even have a background check????

I believe that Kroll is aware of such problems and even if they find something wrong they will ask you for your explanations. So don't worry.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Brand Management
Schools:CBS Class of 2013
 Q45  V44
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
poppyseedmuffin wrote:
Josie, how long did the Kroll verification take in your case from start to finish? And did they call/email your recommenders?

it took me about a week, I am really not sure how it worked since I clearly have no inside access to Kroll, but I doubt they called my recommenders. I think the only thing they verify is employment. Also, this is specific to Columbia. good luck with yours!
Current Student
Send PM
josiebella wrote:
agree. I did the same thing, HR didn't ask me anything. My Kroll is now complete as I did not want to wait til last second.

How long does it takes to complete the whole process until they say "finished, everything OK" ?
Current Student
Send PM
MBAUncle wrote:
josiebella wrote:
agree. I did the same thing, HR didn't ask me anything. My Kroll is now complete as I did not want to wait til last second.

How long does it takes to complete the whole process until they say "finished, everything OK" ?

My fault, I quoted your post from the last page and have not seen your response to poppyseedmuffin :)
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
MBAUncle wrote:

Mine for Berkeley only took a week, and that was including a day or two spent trying to track down one of my former employers.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GPA: 3.37
Send PM
Really dumb question here....just trying to register for this Kroll check, and it asks for your "school ID provided in your admissions packet". Hummmm, which of the 17 diff ID's do they want here? UNI? PID? Or have I just missed a step entirely, are we supposed to be notified when we are to begin this process?

I just sent my transcripts to the admissions office a week or two ago, haven't heard any follow up. Any advice would be much appreciated!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi

I made a mistake in my application. I stated the wrong figure of bonus. The school asked the bonus 'you have earned' in the past 12 months. However, I stated the expected bonus for the incoming round. I failed to notice that this schl asked for the past 12 months when I ran check on my printed PDF before submission becoz th pdf did not mentioned '12 months'. I just noticed this mistake when I logged on to check my application online.

The difference between what I have earned in the past 12 months and what I have stated in te application is significat due to the economic crisis in the the last bonus round.

Should I report the ad-com before they release their final decision? Will this affect my appln status? or Will Kroll think that I cheated?

thanks-appreciated all your help
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Wharton/Lauder - Class of 2013
Send PM
cidneymba2011 wrote:
Really dumb question here....just trying to register for this Kroll check, and it asks for your "school ID provided in your admissions packet". Hummmm, which of the 17 diff ID's do they want here? UNI? PID? Or have I just missed a step entirely, are we supposed to be notified when we are to begin this process?

I just sent my transcripts to the admissions office a week or two ago, haven't heard any follow up. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Hi Cidney! Under Kroll Verification in the "to do" checklist, you'll find the school ID in bold at the very bottom. It'll also tell you what your password is which is YYYYMMDD. And to sign in, you use your columbia email address. Its all explained on the bottom of that Kroll page!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GPA: 3.37
Send PM
globalcitizen wrote:
cidneymba2011 wrote:

Hi Cidney! Under Kroll Verification in the "to do" checklist, you'll find the school ID in bold at the very bottom. It'll also tell you what your password is which is YYYYMMDD. And to sign in, you use your columbia email address. Its all explained on the bottom of that Kroll page!

Hahahah thanks global, I'm silly sometimes and don't know how to read directions :?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Anyone gone through the Kroll process yet for Tepper 2011? If so, do you know what they are verifying this year?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools:Wharton (R2 int.), CBS,Tuck, Yale, MIT, HBS
Send PM
When do you receive the Kroll background check email/letter/request? Is it after you've been admitted, or after you've confirmed that you'll be matriculating/paid your deposit? I'm a recent admit and I don't see a Kroll background check on the admitted students website's To-Do list.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Brand Management
Schools:CBS Class of 2013
 Q45  V44
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
LittleYoda wrote:
When do you receive the Kroll background check email/letter/request? Is it after you've been admitted, or after you've confirmed that you'll be matriculating/paid your deposit? I'm a recent admit and I don't see a Kroll background check on the admitted students website's To-Do list.

Congrats! You will see it after they receive the deposit.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Marketing and Finance (Business Marketing Academy)
Schools:Kelley Class of 2013
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Personally, I think people are reading the "credit report" part of Kroll's background check incorrectly.

Does Kroll pull a credit report? Sure. Could a school rescind an offer because of bad credit? As a lawyer, I just don't see how that is possible, unless some how one mentioned their "good" credit on the application and thus lied about it. I wouldn't worry one second about this to anyone reading the thread.

Why would Kroll pull a credit report? A credit report has lots of information on it, such as previous addresses, employers, etc., that can be used to check against stuff that was in your application.

This has absolutely nothing to do with "bad" credit though.

Tom

djhouse81 wrote:
ncprasad wrote:
Given the fact that most B-school graudates are able to get into a decent job after graduation and the fact that student loan payments dont start until after 6 months post-graduation, I really dont see how a credit score is relevant. Also, international students with bad credit will then get away with it, right? So, how can an admission be rescinded based on credit score.
djhouse81 wrote:
If your debt to income ratio is already out of control then how are you going to handle more debt with no income?

I agree, it would be strange to be rejected after they check your credit, but the debt to income ratio is a legitimate concern--despite the deferral of your student loan payments until after you graduate. Some people have mortgages, car payments, credit card debt, even college loans to pay off--all at once! How are they going to pay for that when they are going to school full-time, especially with no savings? It would be very difficult to take out a student loan that covers all of that, given the liquidity and credit crises that the market is experiencing--just look at Sallie Mae. Just like there are a few cases of people who blatantly lie on their app and schools rescine their offer as a result; there is probably few borrowers who have atrocious credit to the point that schools must rescind their offer. In the end, I bet schools will try everything to make the financial packages work, as opposed to the fraudulent applicants who are kicked to the curb.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Can any current student shed some light on this? they hire Kroll to do background checks. student must fill out a "data-sheet" (whatever that means) then kroll will do the rest.

What is asked in this "data sheet" and how do they go about verifying employment?
Do they just verify current employment, last 2 jobs, all jobs?
How do they do so, do we give them the contact info of your supervisor and they call/email them, or do they randomly call the public number listed for the company and ask to be connected to HR?
What if your file is not in the HR records, are you basically screwed?
What else do they ask the employer: job title, salary, etc?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Wharton/Lauder - Class of 2013
Send PM
Kudos