Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:52 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Anybody heard from Arizona State MACC yet? [#permalink]
I applied on 2/16/11. I have a 3.77 GPA (accounting and Psych) and a 610 GMAT (studied for a little more than two weeks). I applied for the Master of business taxation. Do you think the Masters of Accounting has an advantage for hiring or are the prospects similar.

Originally posted by exitlane10 on 01 Mar 2011, 10:45.
Last edited by exitlane10 on 15 Apr 2011, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I went to ASU for my undergrad (Accounting), so my admission process is somewhat different. We didn't have to take the GMAT, Letters of Rec, etc., but its weird that ASU students wouldn't hear around the same time. Anyway, I think the jobs prospects are about the same, with placement around 85% before graduation. I originally applied to the MTAX but wasn't convinced I wanted to be in tax forever.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Fresh25 wrote:
I went to ASU for my undergrad (Accounting), so my admission process is somewhat different. We didn't have to take the GMAT, Letters of Rec, etc., but its weird that ASU students wouldn't hear around the same time. Anyway, I think the jobs prospects are about the same, with placement around 85% before graduation. I originally applied to the MTAX but wasn't convinced I wanted to be in tax forever.

any opinions on University of Arizona masters program?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
If you're focusing solely on tax, ASU for sure. If you want to just go for the MACC, it's really personal preference, although ASU is ranked a little bit higher.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Fresh25 wrote:
If you're focusing solely on tax, ASU for sure. If you want to just go for the MACC, it's really personal preference, although ASU is ranked a little bit higher.

Do you think I would have a reasonable shot at the Big 4 from university of Arizona?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I believe that U of A is a top 20 program as well, although it is #20 while ASU is #11. I'm not too familiar with the U of A placement rates but I would have to think that ASU places better in the Big 4 given its proximity to Phoenix. The real question is: Why on earth would you want to live in Tucson given the choice not to?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Fresh25 wrote:
I believe that U of A is a top 20 program as well, although it is #20 while ASU is #11. I'm not too familiar with the U of A placement rates but I would have to think that ASU places better in the Big 4 given its proximity to Phoenix. The real question is: Why on earth would you want to live in Tucson given the choice not to?

Right now, ASU would cost me 34,000 and University of Arizona would cost me roughly 9,000 to attend (teaching assistantship). Not too familiar with the state beside what I hear on the news. As a Mexican American (my great great great great great grand parents settled in California and the others in Texas when they were part of Mexico), is there that much hostility towards people like me? Even in the public accounting world? My last name is Spanish but I look completely anglo.

Originally posted by exitlane10 on 16 Mar 2011, 18:58.
Last edited by exitlane10 on 15 Apr 2011, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ah, well with the $ factor U of A definitely makes more sense. As a Mexican american, you will have no problems in AZ contrary to how the media portrays it. Just make sure you carry your papers at all time. (kidding)

ASU asked me to submit a letter of rec from one of my accounting professors and said they would get a final decision within 2 weeks. I have a bad feeling about this, but only time will tell..

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I found out that the placement into big 4 from ASU masters of business taxation was only 30%. I think the MACC is the same or a little higher. Do you think you could verify this? After speaking with the University of Arizona, I am not totally convinced that ASU is superior over the other. In fact the big 4 placement rates are the same if not better at University of Arizona--the average stats are now higher than those of ASU MACC applicants. You might think about throwing an application their way.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Where did you find out those stats? I find it hard to believe that only 30% are placed in Big4 given that the ASU MTAX is one of the best, if not the best in the country. I only applied to ASU because my GPA keeps me exempt from the GMAT and most of the other application materials.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Fros."

Originally posted by exitlane10 on 23 Mar 2011, 12:49.
Last edited by exitlane10 on 15 Apr 2011, 10:22, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
D
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts