Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:23 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
GPA: 3.91
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Target: Perfect 800 - Dream of a Daydreamer [#permalink]
I want to back up the sentiment that you don't need a whole bunch of books to start studying. You do NEED the OG guides IMO, but beyond a few choice guides is good to start.
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3945 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
If you want a 800 score, I have heard that the GMAT Club tests can help you in getting a 50-51 in the quantitative section. I think that they are free if you post a lot in this forum.

Also, don't use every material that you can find in internet because of the fact they are free.
There are dangerous questions banks that won't help you in improving your score. Always ask in this forum about how reliable is the source you want to use.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Can't stress enough the use of going thru the best gmat books section by BB, I am staying focussed on the right material only because of it, with a demanding job and a baby to deal with,knowing the right material is must, if I can aim on 700+, I am sure without many liabilities and being able to spend more time on study, u can shoot for 800

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing
GPA: 3.84
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Definitely aim high! I might be reading too much into your post however, but likely many Asian/South Asian international candidates you're placing a lot of focus on your math. I wouldn't forget to work on the verbal component as well! My suggestion would be to take a practice test and work on your weakest areas. I personally used MGMAT subject books to target specific areas (and learn grammar for the first time!) and found that helpful.

Good luck with the preparations!

nafishasan60 wrote:
This is my first post. So at first I would like to introduce myself.

I am from Bangladesh, a small but one of the densely populated country in south Asia. I have passed Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) from a local Private University in Bangladesh. My concentration was in Accounting. But unfortunately for last 2 years I have been employed in sales related jobs. I was quite sick with this sales job. So I quit from the job 2 months ago and started taking preparation for IELTS and GMAT. I will be sitting for GMAT exam in August.

My target is to get admission to a top business school in USA or any other country. Everything depends on the GMAT score.

You may think I am expecting too much, its true. But why?? Let me tell you a story. Many years ago in my high school days our math teacher told us that every time you sit for the math exam or any other exam your target should be of getting 100 out of 100 only then you could secure 95 out of 100. The lower is your expectation the lower you get in exams.

Are you interested to know my strategy?

Though I was good in math in my high school days but I was completely detached from Mathematics while I was studying BBA. I used to enjoy solving critical math problems but now those problems have become nightmare for me. To solve basic math related problem and start my GMAT preparation I am going through 2 books.

1) Math Review for Standardized Tests - CliffsNotes
2) Cracking the GMAT - 2011 Edition with DVD

I will disclose the list of books in my arsenal after a few days. Unfortunately I couldn't buy 15 book set from Veritas Prep. and GMAT Prep. books from KAPLAN due to shortage of funds :(.

I also need your suggestion to keep myself on right track of preparation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
 Q49  V35 GMAT 2: 740  Q49  V42
Send PM
Math...the easier demon for us South-East Asians :-) I would recommend.....just go over different Math material available with you and appear in a GMAT Prep test. This will help you know whether math is good enough and which area in verbal you severely lag. Go over different threads in this forum, understand GMAT as an exam.....as I read here (gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html?highlight=ml301)...GMAT is comprised of 3 components...Basic Subject Knowledge + Testing Techniques + Question techniques. So to get them all, first step is to know the test. Then know the basic Subject Knowledge....use the best suggested material and you will get them. Go over the ultimate verbal plan on this site, that is awesome! Very thorough and truly beneficial to help 'us'. That will raise your confidence in Verbal. I am sure with Verbal from there and manhattan books, you will have everything you need for Basic Subject Knowledge. Rest is Question Techniques and Testing Techniques which you get from previous official questions and good tests. So go through OG 12 and solutions as well as the best available Tests. I only liked manhattan gmat tests because if you buy one of their books, they give you 6 tests free with it! Best of luck :)

Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together.~ Vincent Van Gogh
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
I'm in the same boat as you Nafisa, just started prepping for the GMAT myself. It's a beast to be honest. Hope I can do reasonably well. Good luck to you!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Thesfactor is understanding SC a bit more now, I hope to master this topic soon enough...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
SC is tough, but I am realizing MGMAT SC is a fun read! For us ppl who are planning to give the exam in 6mon or more ( I am withing 6 mon now my date is 8 sept); we must make sure we are doing some GMAT study so as to not lose the focus!

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Status:Taking heavily leveraged but calculated risks at all times
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 01-31-2012
Send PM
Take it from me, 760+, even in the practice tests dont come easy though
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72873 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
I am curious now - how did this journey progress?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
bb wrote:
I am curious now - how did this journey progress?

Me too. Did you score an 800 on the GMAT? Which schools are you shooting for?
GMAT Club Bot