Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

Duke vs. NYU ($$) vs. UNC - Chapel Hill ($$$) for Marketing

You may select 1 option
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.26
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Fuqua '14 (S)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.26
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: Duke vs. NYU ($$) vs. UNC - Chapel Hill ($$$) for Marketing [#permalink]
Duke MBA seems like an overrated program to me- I don't know why. it just feels like it.

they seem so arrogant- llok at you receiving money from both of those top20 schools but not from fuqua? ı mean why!!??
Intern
Intern
WE 1: Non-Profit Treasury / 2.5 years
WE 2: Non-profit setup 1.5 years at mat.
Send PM
tsmkb wrote:
Duke MBA seems like an overrated program to me- I don't know why. it just feels like it.

they seem so arrogant- llok at you receiving money from both of those top20 schools but not from fuqua? ı mean why!!??

I hae just found this forum while googling a similar dilemma I have been having- great topic herew. I'm between NYU and UNC and both schools have offered me some amount of $. I'm an internatioanl so money is more important for me but nevertheless I will go for NYU (I'm in non-profit though) just wanted to share my situ- and I've voted for Stern.

good luck

Bob
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q41 V46
GMAT 2: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3
Send PM
tsmkb wrote:

I don't think it's about arrogance. A lot of scholarship distribution is about building a class with different profiles. And let's not forget that it's also highly dependent on the program's ability to fund them (and foregoing tuition) through its endowment.

I got $$ offers from Booth and Kellogg, but I don't think MIT is being arrogant for not offering me $$--maybe they just have a bunch of people like me at Sloan whereas B and K need more.

BTW, my vote's for Duke, even though I'd also be happy going to NYU for marketing.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
well- MIT > Booth/Kellogg (Maybe not > Booth) BUT Duke is not > NYU - not so clear at least.

All good offers, but ı'd go with the money here- you will make it up to good jobs at either of those schools DUke or NYU or UNC will not get you a job that will pay you +25k a year- I mean that will depend on you. so really, go for the money. and this time maybe the money with the most opt.offer which is NYU
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
goreds977 wrote:
well- MIT > Booth/Kellogg (Maybe not > Booth) BUT Duke is not > NYU - not so clear at least.

Where are you getting this info?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Kudos
This is a rather odd discussion developing, simply because it is trying to assess schools on an information set available to us but not available to them.

dalillama makes a strong and correct viewpoint. Schools decide their scholarship pool their way - different scholarships are donated by alumni and groups that place different descriptions on them. Different schools have different applicants. So to read that one school thinks less of a candidate because they did not offer a scholarship is extremely spurious and highly indefensible logic.

I am not 100% sure on how UNC recruits - I know I met some in some top firms in the major industries, but I am not so certain how they fare. There is little difference between NYU and Duke - BUT - all the scholarship may do is cover the difference in rent and beer costs over two years.

Ultimately, the decision comes down to what you want to do and where. NYU may offer some advantages in that, Duke may offer some advantages. Completely depends on where you want to be headed.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
As underscore noted, different programs approach scholarship in very different ways. If you go to MIT's LOG program its like getting a substantial scholarship. Kellogg is one of the more generous schools with small to medium amounts (lots alumni specify gifts for scholarships). You also have to factor in a schools endowment, there was a post with endowment totals at some point on gmatclub. I know the top 3 were HBS, Stanford, and surprisingly Kellogg came in at 3rd...though not sure how that has changed with the markets crazy over the last few years (this was after Booth's naming rights too I believe).

Just because schools give money doesn't mean people wont go there...they want to attract the top talent. So UNC is using money to try and sway some people who they realize probably got into Duke to attend. Some schools may give small amounts to sway people over peers and large amounts to snipe talent from higher ranked schools based on the individual.

Opinions on rankings for this thread are funny...how did a bunch of schools not involved in the decision come up. MIT vs Kellogg vs Booth in a discussion about kid deciding between Duke, NYU, UNC for Marketing??? really does that belong? If he got in then yes but since its not on the list focus on the topic.

Of those schools, Duke has the best rep in terms of Marketing...depending on the money it will be a wash living in NYC vs Durham is going to cost you a lot more. I know plenty of people spent their scholarship money anyways and had the same debt they otherwise would have had. If you want the northeast post graduation NYU probably will have plenty of marketing gigs available or at least willing to let your network your way into. NYC is a hub of marketing. I would skip UNC and focus on Duke vs NYU...if you havent visited I suggest you do. You will notice two very different cultures both at school and outside of school. You are going to spend two years there and both will offer you great opportunities afterwards, so look at where you belong not just the post graduation. If you get a job out of Duke, I bet you would be able to get the same or equivalent job coming out of NYU...its not like they will force you to become a banker if you got to NYU.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
All those > and < with the rankings are ridiculous as riverripper has put it very well above.

riverripper wrote:
If you get a job out of Duke, I bet you would be able to get the same or equivalent job coming out of NYU...its not like they will force you to become a banker if you got to NYU.

Amazing wrap-up! So why not take the money from NYU and go for it... Anyways, I'm going to stop here- best of luck to you with your decision- this has been a rather interesting thread...

Let us know of your pick!
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
NYU...
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2