Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:09 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3944 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [2]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.26
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: Is it worth doing MBA in US in the present scenario? [#permalink]
Kudos
I would say if you go to HBS, Stanford, Wharton and can't get a job in this economy than we're all screwed.

Of course there are outliers in every group. Even the top schools don't have 100% placement rate. Of course don't always know why this is. However I would say if you're good enough to get into one of those schools and you get good grades are are active in extracurriculars than you'll be just fine for getting a job....if not the rest of us who don't get into schools like that are all really screwed

Nos
Retired Moderator
Send PM
nosferatudracon wrote:
I would say if you go to HBS, Stanford, Wharton and can't get a job in this economy than we're all screwed.

Of course there are outliers in every group. Even the top schools don't have 100% placement rate. Of course don't always know why this is. However I would say if you're good enough to get into one of those schools and you get good grades are are active in extracurriculars than you'll be just fine for getting a job....if not the rest of us who don't get into schools like that are all really screwed

Nos

Thanks Nos. That's the same advice that a friend gave me the other day. "The world still moving; therefore, there are people who are moving it, some of them are from those schools, and they are in good positions".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Sounds like a pretty smart friend you got there. Where'd he/she go to business school? :)
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Yes, he is very smart, but he has not applied yet. Currently, he is looking for a job in Europe in Finance. But he told me that the situation is also not so good there. :s

Paradoxically, now the called "third-world" economies are growing more than the "Western" economies. My country is growing at a rate of 8%! :-D
However, the wages in my country still being low to pay a debt for a MBA degree in a top business school. That's why my concern of getting a good job after my MBA degree.

By the way, Nosferatus rules! That's the only vampire who scares me :shock:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Absolutely agree with you that the developing world is where the money is at right now. All of my retirement accounts are heavily invested in the international funds right now with a lot of investments being in Brazil or India. If I had my pick of places to live in the developing world right now the booming economies that most interest me are Brazil, Poland, and Turkey...sorry don't know much about Peru :( At any rate...go to one of the top schools you mentioned and be involved and get good grades I think you wont have a problem getting a job to pay off your debt. If you're really worried there's always the option of expanding your application to a few other lower schools and hope to get scholarship money...that way you get a good degree with good job prospects but if it doesn't work out you aren't broke either.

Then again there's always the option of going into debt and then fleeing the country and never returning...but who would actually do that...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [6]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
It largely depends on the companies you are shooting for - how many MBA spots they have and how many people are gunning for them. In my experience, grades in bschool don't matter when it comes to finding a job. The same goes for extracurriculars. I've seen a lot of people with excellent grades and lots of xc involvement fail to get a job on campus whereas people with less than stellar marks, but really focused on recruiting and networking had several offers.

The firms care about several things: do you have basic knowledge about the function you are recruiting for; do you really want to work in the industry or you have just dropped your resume as you did with 30 other companies; do you fit with the culture of the firm. That's why you need to demostrate BASIC knowledge of the principles of marketing, finance, or whatever function you are recruiting along with knowledge of the industry and the company, which shows that you are interested enough to learn about them and think through the issues facing them. The fit portion is hard to be faked - it's just about the way you are used to doing things and how you think.

Excluding IB and consulting, about 30-35% of the traditional industry jobs are open to internationals. The main problem that most internationals had in securing jobs was communication skills. I saw many people with less than stellar English skills and they didn't fare well in recruiting. If your English is less than fluent, I would recommend improving it as it would really put you at a disadvantage - you are competing with native speakers, so your ability needs to be pretty close to theirs. That is even more true for MC and IB. I saw people jump on the IB/MC bandwagon without considering whether they would be a good fit for the job only to get dinged in their interviews - by that time interviews for other industries had started and these guys were left with nothing because they hadn't networked with other firms.

So you need to really decide what kind of job you'll be after before arriving as the recruiting process starts pretty soon after school starts. It's hard to generalize for all possible jobs, but one recurring theme I noticed was that showing interest and networking with people from the company is much more important than having good grades in marketing or finance that no one looks at. Even previous experience in the function/industry will not get you in if you cannot show interest or if you don't click with the people from the company and have bad communication skills.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
sniperssk wrote:
Excluding IB and consulting, about 30-35% of the traditional industry jobs are open to internationals.

Thanks sniperssk! Actually, I'm really interested in IB and consulting. Are those industries more open to internationals?

PS. To Nos, you should visit Peru, dude. Nice beaches, ancient ruins, good food! 8-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
metallicafan wrote:
sniperssk wrote:
Excluding IB and consulting, about 30-35% of the traditional industry jobs are open to internationals.

Thanks sniperssk! Actually, I'm really interested in IB and consulting. Are those industries more open to internationals?

PS. To Nos, you should visit Peru, dude. Nice beaches, ancient ruins, good food! 8-)

I think what sniperssk was getting at is that IB and consulting require a higher degree of English fluency than other industries, due to the amount of client facing time involved with those positions.

I'd love to visit Peru. I have a goal to visit all 7 continents eventually in my life. Right now I've been to 3 so...only 4 more to go.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [3]
Given Kudos: 157
Send PM
Kudos