Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:58 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Ops/Logistics
Schools:Harvard, Ross, McCombs, Mendoza
 Q44  V42
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools:Kelley, WashU, Carlson, McCombs (R2int)
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: 3 years Accounting
WE 2: 4 years Fin Analyst
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 244 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
 Q41  V42
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: ACCEPTED! Now which one should I choose??? [#permalink]
mbaseekercf wrote:
I live within a few miles of Arizona State, and have for many years. I'm not sure why you think crime is a big con, but can attest that it's really not something that should weigh on your mind. It's certainly no more of a factor than any other major city (inc Minneapolis). The "Dry Heat" refrain is actually very true, and I can't see weather being much of a deciding factor compared to Florida. Our current job market is probably not any better than Denver, but ASU would probably offer better post-grad prospects.
ASU & UMinn both have strong part-time/evening programs, good luck with your decision.

I was basically going to say the exact same thing, I went to Arizona State for my undergrad, still live in the area, I have never seen crime to be a problem at all, certainly not more than larger cities. Phoenix is crap in my opinion, not because of crime, but because the city shuts down at 9:00, there is absolutely nothing to do except for the occasional sporting event, but you would probably want to live in Tempe or Old Town Scottsdale anyway, this area is much better for college students and young professionals. And I personally am not a fan of the heat, but for me it beats Florida humidity. It is 85 degrees and sunny today, and in the summer I mostly am inside with air conditioning or at the pool. I have lots of friends going to ASU in the evening and have all found jobs already or being promoted in their current company. If you want any more info or have any questions about the area, I'm happy to help!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:McGill Desautels Class of 2013
Send PM
I'd say Boulder but I'm bias since I might end up going there, their Entrepreneurial focus is really appealing since I want to eventually open my own brewery.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks folks... i'm going to commit to the University of Minnesota, starting in January. Brrrrrrrr!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
To me, none of these PT programs really stand out. I would think they are all apporixmately equal.

In such scenarios, I would think going with the program with the least risk (lowest tuition and more familiarity) would be your best option that seem to be the UCF.

FYI, Minnesota isn't just cold. It is ridiculously cold. I have many friends from Chicago who moved to Minneapolis and they told me Minneapolis is WAY colder than Chicago.

jedil64931 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

First time poster, long time lurker. Now that business school is becoming a reality, you'll see me on here a lot more.

So... I've been accepted to four MBA Evening programs:

University of Minnesota
Arizona State University
University of Colorado - Boulder
University of Central Florida

They each have their pros and cons, and some are clearly better than others. I wanted to break each down real quick, and see what you guys think. Just a little information, i'm a 28 year old IT tech/State worker from Tallahassee, Florida, married with three kids. Listed below are my top choices down to least favorite.

University of Minnesota - A fantastic university, really didn't think I was going to be accepted!
Pros: Great place to live. Very highly ranked, my first choice. Good number of Fortune 500 and 1000 companies as well as state and local government jobs.
Cons: Wife doesn't want to freeze (COLD!), and we have no snow/ice experience. Expensive cost of living. Very expensive tution as well... will end up with a lot of debt on top of our current undergrad debt.

Arizona State -
Pros: Well ranked school, strong supply chain emphasis which I would do. Lower cost of living, decent number of jobs to apply to. Could get a nice house.
Cons: Wife doesn't want to fry (HOT!) I have only 2 1/2 more weeks to commit. Concerns about crime.

U. Colorado - Boulder -
Pros: Beautiful scenery and weather. Strong emphasis on creativity and entrepreneurship, which I like.
Cons: Not highly ranked. Expensive housing (need a decent sized house), less jobs to be found than in Phoenix and Minneapolis. Might commit and then never find a job in time.

U. Central Florida -
Pros: Very cheap in-state tuition, close to family and friends. Flexible pace and electives.
Cons: Low rankings and average starting salary, might not give the best ROI. Not many jobs in Orlando right now, city getting rougher.

What do you guys/gals think???

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ARIZONA!
no crime from what I've seen. Been there many times and have recruited our best members there. Plus, you had the least cons there!
Good Luck
GMAT Club Bot