Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:53 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Marketing and Finance (Business Marketing Academy)
Schools:Kelley Class of 2013
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink]
emont wrote:
rkn wrote:
I wonder how they will verify a self-employed applicant. I have been working in my family startup and we do not have any HR dept. We only have a single office phone and most of the employees use thr respective cell phones to communicate. If they call the client's HR dept then they wont be given any detail but if they call my recommender then they will be able to get details. I am wondering what if they call up few times and nobody picks up phone from my office (it wont be the first time :) ).

They'll ask you for help getting in touch with someone at your job. I had a similar situation when they had some trouble reaching someone at one of my part-time jobs, so I got an email asking me to have someone from there contact the Kroll rep.

I wonder what happens for those of those that run our own company where we are the only full-time employee :roll:
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Kudos
My guess is they'd want to verify that the company exists and that it does what you claim it does, at the scale you say it does, probably by asking to talk to a client or supplier or something. Or they may want to see some sort of tax records, receipts, or sales records, something like that.

Don't worry, you're not the first small business owner to apply to business school, I'm sure Kroll and the schools know how to get the information they need.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q41 V46
GMAT 2: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
thmgoodw wrote:
emont wrote:
rkn wrote:
I wonder how they will verify a self-employed applicant. I have been working in my family startup and we do not have any HR dept. We only have a single office phone and most of the employees use thr respective cell phones to communicate. If they call the client's HR dept then they wont be given any detail but if they call my recommender then they will be able to get details. I am wondering what if they call up few times and nobody picks up phone from my office (it wont be the first time :) ).

They'll ask you for help getting in touch with someone at your job. I had a similar situation when they had some trouble reaching someone at one of my part-time jobs, so I got an email asking me to have someone from there contact the Kroll rep.

I wonder what happens for those of those that run our own company where we are the only full-time employee :roll:

If it serves as any indication, MIT (who, along with Kellogg, does their verification with ReVera, not Kroll), says that in those cases they will ask for the certificate of incorporation and perhaps other documents.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Guys... have a quick Q. I do not remeber the exact details of my promotions, I work for a small company and all this information is blurred... My application asks for specific dates for each position I held... I have a similar problem with my previous organization. Which was almost 6 years ago. Any thoughts on how I could handle this?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Booth, Tepper
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
tryinghard wrote:
Guys... have a quick Q. I do not remeber the exact details of my promotions, I work for a small company and all this information is blurred... My application asks for specific dates for each position I held... I have a similar problem with my previous organization. Which was almost 6 years ago. Any thoughts on how I could handle this?

Does the Kroll application ask for specific dates of each position held? Or does the mba application ask for specific dates held? They are probably going to go off of what was in the employment section of the application, which might not have the drill down detail to that level and instead just asks at company level...depending upon what you put.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
brysondavis wrote:

Does the Kroll application ask for specific dates of each position held? Or does the mba application ask for specific dates held? They are probably going to go off of what was in the employment section of the application, which might not have the drill down detail to that level and instead just asks at company level...depending upon what you put.

Well, i am applying to Berkeley Haas EWMBA and they say that create a new section for each postion held, even if within the same company.... I have a general idea, so not sure what to do
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
can anyone shed an light on Duke? Does Kroll ask to verify only the current employer or all previous employers? any help would be great, thx.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
I did some reading on this lastnight and I believe they ask for past an current. They do not say why the check is being performed but they need to verify your past. Should be pretty painless.

Becky

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Any idea which all school go for K roll back ground check??
Specifically does Simon, Kelley ask for a beck ground check??
Since I have not informed my current HR about my future MBA plans...
Any comments???

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Guys, I have a strage dilemma. My HR system uses a title that is different form what we use in public. The HR system is just some old system and has no real world relevance, but that is what is officially stored.

What do I do?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Ops/Logistics
Schools:Harvard, Ross, McCombs, Mendoza
 Q44  V42
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
tryinghard wrote:
Guys, I have a strage dilemma. My HR system uses a title that is different form what we use in public. The HR system is just some old system and has no real world relevance, but that is what is officially stored.

What do I do?

Be honest, that's all you can do. If you're really worried, send a reply to whomever sends you the notification explaining the situation. I doubt your situation is that unique. Lots of companies have strange nomenclature for their employees--including the thousands of government employees.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
iamwhoiam123 wrote:
Any idea which all school go for K roll back ground check??
Specifically does Simon, Kelley ask for a beck ground check??
Since I have not informed my current HR about my future MBA plans...
Any comments???

Havent heard of either doing a check. I do know that Simon may check out things themselves ie call references etc. That was stated in an adcom blog post on the website....im sure you can google it

Neither school has an official check like kroll or revera
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Columbia 2013 (accepted)
 Q48  V41
WE 1: Marine Infantry Officer (4 yrs)
WE 2: Aerospace (2.5 yrs)
Send PM
Guys,

Anybody know if Kroll reveals the reason for the check to your employer? I have not given my notice yet, so this is obviously a concern. I called Kroll, and the employee claimed that they will say, "We are calling on behalf of Columbia Business School...", but this seems incorrect because most on this board say the process is anonymous...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.67
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM