Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:17 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 579 [20]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: SPG
Own Kudos [?]: 3135 [11]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
General Discussion
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [4]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Re: Too old to bear arms himself, Frederick Douglass served as a recruitin [#permalink]
Kudos
noboru wrote:
Too old to bear arms himself, Frederick Douglass served as a recruiting agent, traveled through the North to exhort Black men to join the Union army.

(A) traveled through the North to exhort
(B) and he traveled through the North and exhorted
(C) and traveling through the North exhorted
(D) traveling through the North and exhorted
(E) traveling through the North and exhorting

For me is between D and E

The way I picked between D and E was through modifiers . The present participle can modify the noun Frederick Douglass from far away while the past participle has to touch. i.e The broken door
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [4]
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
Re: Too old to bear arms himself, Frederick Douglass served as a recruitin [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hey Detran,

Sorry to butt in, but the explanation you gave isn't actually right. Participles (present or past) always have to touch what they're modifying if it's a noun, though they can be far away if it's a verb.

In this case, we have a LIST of modifiers, which is why one of them doesn't really get to touch (there are two of them), though it does touch in a more figurative, grammatical way. In other words, I could say:

The man born of a serpent and forged in the fires of hardship was my best friend.

Notice how "forged" is a past participle, but it doesn't touch "man". This is because it's part of a list of two participles ("born" and "forged"), and both of them can't touch (it would be physically impossible). This is NOT because past participles have any different rules surrounding them then present participles.

Hope that makes sense!

-tommy
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [4]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
The first thing is to define the primary purpose of the passage and then the secondary purpose or secondary purposes, if more than one. We can not logically assign all of them equal status. While the main purpose will take a working verb, the secondary purposes will take the participles, either present or past. At this juncture we must be alert to the fact that part participles very often take the form of simple past (as in this context, traveled is used as a verb here and should not be mistaken for a past participle.)

As such, Choice A will be a run-on without using a conjunction between the two verbs there - wrong

B equates traveled and exhorted with served. In addition the pronoun ‘he’ is redundant; ---wrong; if you mean to equate all the three functions, then you have to say “served, traveled and exhorted”

C equates exhorted with served --wrong

D Exhorted equated with served--- wrong

E, served remains primacy purpose and other incidentals are expressed with present participles—perfect combination and right answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Send PM
daagh wrote:
The first thing is to define the primary purpose of the passage and then the secondary purpose or secondary purposes, if more than one. We can not logically assign all of them equal status. While the main purpose will take a working verb, the secondary purposes will take the participles, either present or past. At this juncture we must be alert to the fact that past participles very often take the form of simple past (or atmost other forms of past tense{continuous/perfect etc etc})(as in this context, traveled is used as a verb here and should not be mistaken for a past participle.)

As such, Choice A will be a run-on without using a conjunction two verbs between the two verbs there - wrong

B equates traveled and exhorted with served. In addition the pronoun ‘he’ is redundant; ---wrong; if you mean to equate all the three functions, then you have to say “served, traveled and exhorted”

C equates exhorted with served --wrong

D Exhorted equated with served--- wrong

E, served remains primacy purpose and other incidentals are expressed with present participles—perfect combination and right answer.

Hi daagh
THanks for responding..
I understood and agree your point upto a :P point as far as primary and secondary purposes are concerned.
But what I noticed was that "past participles very often take the form of simple past" does not hold good because "past participles will always take the form of simple past ", because they modify nouns in PAST. That is why they are PAST participles.

Upon some research, I found from a Grammar book that it is "PAST PASSIVE VOICE" which introduces a PAST Participial phrase in a sentence. Below is an exact excerpt from the book:

Do we only have –ing participles in participial phrases?
In addition to the –ing present participle, the –ed past participle also occurs in participial phrases. –ed participial phrases that function as adjectives are closely related to verbs in passive voice:
--> Annoyed by the students’ behavior, the teacher gave them extra work.

I hope that it is the key to this problem.

Please let me know if anyone of you reading this post has observed deviation from this rule. I will be interested in that.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
joshnsit wrote

Quote:
Point 1. "Past participles will always take the form of simple past ",
-- Do they always take the form of simple Past? Look at the following past participial forms.
Eat - ate - eaten
Eg: Eaten in the Mediterranean, tomatoes were once considered dangerous plants by Europeans

Here are some more examples of past participles in non past-tense forms. Please note that these past participles can not function as past tense verbs. There are so many more.
Arise Arose Arisen
Shrink shrank shrunk –
Bear - bore - borne
Begin began begun
Withdraw withdrew withdrawn
Drink drank drunk

Point 2.
Quote:
Because they modify nouns in PAST. That is why they are PAST participles.
—could you Pl clarify what exactly you mean by calling nouns in the past. Does a noun have a present, past or future?

Well! According to me nope; First thing is that the grammar book you have quoted does not connect past participle with past tense; it connects participle only with passive voice. Passive voice can be expressed both in present and past tense.

Should a past participle be connected only with past tense or can it be connected with present tense also? Let’s see.

Annoyed by the student behavior, the principal was angry
Annoyed by the student behavior, the principal is angry
Both the above are perfectly legal sentences. Few more examples

Targeted by aspirants of management studies in the US mainly, the GMAT is a bench mark test.
Targeted mainly for its affluence in the medieval era, India was battered by a series of raids by the Mediterranean empires.

Similarly, can a present participle using a verb+ing form be used both in present tens and past tense?’

Eg: Rising early in the morning, I go for a brisk walk every day;
Rising early in the morning, I used to go for a brisk walk in my young days

Dropping out from the business school, the shrewd man entered software business to become one of the legends in the history of world.

Dropping out from their primary schools because of abject poverty, many wasted children in the third world countries are becoming a burden to the society

It must now clear that present participle or past participles do not refer to the tense of the sentence; they are just lexical jargons IMO. In essence, they are in fact, timeless and tenseless expressions.

Originally posted by daagh on 15 Mar 2011, 09:45.
Last edited by daagh on 15 Mar 2011, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
The selection of a past or present participle in a given case will depend upon the context and the word involved, IMO. Certain verbs can not be used as past participle. For examples, ‘differed’ is a past participle form, but can u use it as a past participle? ‘Differed from’ or ‘differed by’ are not correct forms, in such cases, we are forced to use differing from and differing by.

Similarly, traveled does not fit in effectively as past participle. ‘Douglas served, traveled to North” is inelegant in the least. Secondly what will the infinitive ‘to exert’ modify now, traveled or served?

There are a few more verbs that I can remember as being suitable for present participle than for past participle. For example

Dive/ Dived / Dived
Dare/ dared/ dared
Have. Had /had
Shine/ shone/ shone
Stink/ stunk/ stunk
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Too old to bear arms himself, Frederick Douglass served as a recruitin [#permalink]
Can this also be read as-
"traveling through the North and exhorting..., FD served...."
?
Thanks
-Tulika

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Given Kudos: 779
GMAT 1: 430 Q39 V12
Send PM
Too old to bear arms himself, Frederick Douglass served as a recruitin [#permalink]
could someone put useful link about participle "-ed" which is not using as a modifier ,such as "differed from / differing from" which we can use only second form for modifying !
in this question I go for "A" because of "-ed" modifier that modifying "agent" :
....."Frederick Douglass served as a recruiting agent, traveled through the North to exhort Black...
but do not know why "traveled" not modify "agent" !

I saw a similar question about "differing vs differed "
how we can find out a verb does or does not have past participle although it use as past verb with "-ed" form such as travel?????

AmE verb (past tense and past participle travelled, present participle travelling British English, traveled
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Given Kudos: 779
GMAT 1: 430 Q39 V12
Send PM
dimitri92 wrote:
parallelism question ... don't let gmat confuse you with superficial parallelism, as manhattan gmat calls it

doug served as recruiter, traveled the east and hired employees
here each verb has equal emphasis

doug served as recruiter, traveling the east and hiring employees
here serve as recruiter is the main verb .... traveling and hiring are subordinate verbs .. doug traveled and hired while he served as recruiter

in the problem, travel and exhort are subordinate verbs

D: not parallel; travelling .. and exhorted
E: parallel and correct use of subordinate verb; traveling .. and exhorting

so E it is

how can we find out in this question equal emphasis or not ..????? i suppose it is separate not for equal emphasis :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1034 [0]
Given Kudos: 1091
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

For what it's worth, just wanted to lend my bit of street cred to Dimitri's explanation, which is exactly right. Working out where the list starts here is paramount, and the reason we know that it begins with "traveling" instead of "served" is because logic tells us the portion after the comma here is subordinate to the first, rather than separate actions. Well done, Dimitri!

-tommy

Hi Tommy

is "Too old to bear arms himself," an absolute modifier? and hence only option D and E remain, making E a winner in terms of parallelism?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Too old to bear arms himself, Frederick Douglass served as a recruiting agent, traveled through the North to exhort Black men to join the Union army.

(A) traveled through the North to exhort --> served as a recruiting agent, and traveled through --> will be correct

(B) and he traveled through the North and exhorted --> he [ repetitive]

(C) and traveling through the North exhorted --> served, travelling [ no parallelism]

(D) traveling through the North and exhorted --> same as above , also meaning is not correct

(E) traveling through the North and exhorting --> correct [ parallelism is also in check]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Ivey '24 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
In option D "exhorted" is acting as a verb. A verb cannot be parallel to a modifier "travelling". In this sentence "Exhorted" will illogically become parallel to "Served" and hence distort the meaning of the sentence.

There is a clear Causal relation expressed in option "E".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Ivey '24 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
09173140521 wrote:
could someone put useful link about participle "-ed" which is not using as a modifier ,such as "differed from / differing from" which we can use only second form for modifying !
in this question I go for "A" because of "-ed" modifier that modifying "agent" :
....."Frederick Douglass served as a recruiting agent, traveled through the North to exhort Black...
but do not know why "traveled" not modify "agent" !

I saw a similar question about "differing vs differed "
how we can find out a verb does or does not have past participle although it use as past verb with "-ed" form such as travel?????

AmE verb (past tense and past participle travelled, present participle travelling British English, traveled

Hi,

There are 2 categories of Verb:Regular Verb and Irregular Verb. Regular verbs have same construct in past participle and Verb form.

For eg: Love Loved(V) Loved(PP)

Whereas, Irregular verb have different construct.

For eg: Break Broke(V) Broken(PP)

We tend to get confused in regular verbs quite often. You can use this handy technique of converting the word into relative clause. If the sentence requires a linking verb to make sense, then it will be a Past participle, and if not, it will be a verb. For eg:

Roben loved playing football in summer ----->>> Roben (who) loved playing football in summer. Here no linking verb (is,was,be,am..) would make sense with "who" and hence "Loved" here will be a verb.

Contrary eg:

Roben has a football loved by everyone ----->>> Roben has a football (which is) loved by everyone. Here linking Verb (is) is required with "which" and hence "Loved" here will be a past participle.

Hope it makes sense.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 217
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 650 Q45 V37
Send PM
Kudos
In option B,

Comma+ and - indicates an IC. Isn't it correct.
He refers to the subject of the first IC and the two verb-ed are not modifiers but verbs.
Because we have doers.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 277
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35 (Online)
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
In option B, the presence of comma + and indicates the starting of new independent clause and the subject of of an independent clause can refer back to the subject of previous independent clause so usage of he is justified here. So I dont think there is any error in B. Pls share your insght.

Thanks
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5134 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
jim441 wrote:
In option B, the presence of comma + and indicates the starting of new independent clause and the subject of of an independent clause can refer back to the subject of previous independent clause so usage of he is justified here. So I dont think there is any error in B. Pls share your insght.

Thanks

There's no major error in (B), but the connection between the actions mentioned is not made as clear as the correct version makes it. So, the correct answer is better.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts