Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:18 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 425 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
 Q39  V20
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q39  V20
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: Share your thoughts on my GMAT journey [#permalink]
Wow, its getting close haan, I personally feel GMAT is all about endurance!yes, nothing can beat taking good amount of practice tests, without skipping the AWA that is; practice calimg down, if you have been thru this before the real GMAT screen won't scare you!

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 425 [0]
Send PM
heygirl wrote:
10 more days to go for my G-day and I can already sense that freedom :-D
I had a fight with my brain that was refusing CR concepts to enter. Finally, I won 8-) . I let it in. I got only 2-3 CR wrong in my past 2 practice tests, a number that is 7-8 rather than 2 on most ocassions. I'm very happy with this!

I am going to use the next 7 days to RELIGIOUSLY do every OG question(bad idea???). I did all the SC questions in the OG over the last 2 days and got 30 incorrect :oops: out of the total questions. However, the OG has fantastic explanations for the SC answers and that itself gave me so many new rules, something that I could not pick by just reading rules.

Today,I'm going to start with CR. from OG. Will do all the questions.
One thing that I learned is the OG questions have a certain pattern and we learn to recognize that pattern by doing questions from the book one after the other.

Anyone else has any other suggestions for me? :)

oh, by the way, does anyone know how the OG questions compare to the questions/concepts tested on the real test(say for a 650 level test taker)????

May I have the pleasure to give you some suggestions? :P
If you have completed all the SC problems in OG, you should review ALL the incorrect ones (if you have already done this, just ignore this suggestion). I have finished all OG SC problems, too and began reviewing ALL the problems. It's really daunting but this kind of learning is very beneficial.

Well, I don't think it's a bad idea to practice OG problems, especially verbal problems. As you can see, doing OG problems helps you recognize the patterns--it is very helpful in SC and RC. But you should spend as much time on reviewing the problems as on doing them. I realized the reason for my failure in my first attempt was that I only focused on quantity and ignored quality; doing tons of problems did not get me to anywhere :(. Ah, I am so glad that you finally cracked CR. Can you share the applied strategy here?

heygirl wrote:
oh, by the way, does anyone know how the OG questions compare to the questions/concepts tested on the real test(say for a 650 level test taker)????

- Quant: Most people will agree that OG quant questions are easier than those in real test. However, the concepts/knowledge tested, in my opinion, are the same.
- RC: OG problems are relatively as tough as real GMAT problems.
- SC: SC problems in real test are trickier.
- CR: I think the level of difficulty is similar.

Keep on fighting till the end!!!!
Good luck! :D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q39  V20
Send PM
desiaggie1980 wrote:
Wow, its getting close haan, I personally feel GMAT is all about endurance!yes, nothing can beat taking good amount of practice tests, without skipping the AWA that is; practice calimg down, if you have been thru this before the real GMAT screen won't scare you!

Yes, it is getting close :-)
GMAT is definitely about endurance. After sitting through a Quant section and the AWA, reading RC passages really tested my patience. But, this improved with giving full-length practice tests

I'm trying to keep myself calm and hoping that I don't start freaking out!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [1]
 Q39  V20
Send PM
Kudos
windofchange wrote:

- Quant: Most people will agree that OG quant questions are easier than those in real test. However, the concepts/knowledge tested, in my opinion, are the same.
- RC: OG problems are relatively as tough as real GMAT problems.
- SC: SC problems in real test are trickier.
- CR: I think the level of difficulty is similar.

Keep on fighting till the end!!!!
Good luck! :D

windofchange, thanks for ur support here! I'm really happy to receive some kind of support.

I'm happy to know that CR and RC are of comparable levels in the real test with the OG. Quant does seem a little easy based on OG questions but I'm not too concerned of Quant(not aiming for a 50+). My target is to bring up the verbal score. I'm expecting 44 on the quant in the real test because all my tests upto now have indicated the same(including mgmat and gmat prep tests). I get stuck on word problems so will review that next week. I plan to set one day for GMAT quant word problems!
I'm concentrating on Verbal because I tend to forget strategy/rules if I dont keep in touch 8-) .

I agree with you on the quality over quantity thing. I did the same in my last GMAT attempt-Did not go anywhere,and scored miserably! This time I made it a point to turn all the questions that I get wrong into flashcards/concepts. This is really helping me.

About my CR strategy - I really don't know what exactly it is . But, what I did was : re-read through Powerscore CR and my flashcards(based on powerscore CR). Then, I started to see a pattern in CR questions. I did some 4-5 OG questions for practice. Ofcourse, it is very imp to master CR by question type. EG. LEarn the strategy for weaken question and do 4-5 medium level CR questions. This drills the strategy into us. This is what I did too. It took me almost 4-5 days for this. Hope that helps.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
heygirl-- what specific areas in word problems do you get stuck on? I often screw up the rate/work, probability/combinatorics, and statistic problems (especially standard deviation). I strongly recommend the GC Math Books and some quant-related posts on the Quant forum. Such topics as rate/work and mixture problems are neatly written, so easy for us to digest. :D
Manager
Manager
Send PM
heygirl wrote:

About my CR strategy - I really don't know what exactly it is . But, what I did was : re-read through Powerscore CR and my flashcards(based on powerscore CR). Then, I started to see a pattern in CR questions. I did some 4-5 OG questions for practice. Ofcourse, it is very imp to master CR by question type. EG. LEarn the strategy for weaken question and do 4-5 medium level CR questions. This drills the strategy into us. This is what I did too. It took me almost 4-5 days for this. Hope that helps.

I totally agree with your approach to CR-- mastering the CR strategy for each question type is critical. However, it takes me so much time to apply CR strategy and to get myself familiar with the logic of GMAT Critical Reasoning, hix. I needed much time to have sense of CR correct answers and this feeling probably came from practice. POE also plays a major role here, because many wrong and tempting answer choices are out of scope or opposite.

You test date is coming near. Happy studying! :P
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q39  V20
Send PM
windofchange wrote:
heygirl-- what specific areas in word problems do you get stuck on? I often screw up the rate/work, probability/combinatorics, and statistic problems (especially standard deviation). I strongly recommend the GC Math Books and some quant-related posts on the Quant forum. Such topics as rate/work and mixture problems are neatly written, so easy for us to digest. :D

Yes, I have the same problem areas minus probabilty. Somehow I can do probbabilty questions but get stuck on those counting/combinatorics questions :o . S.D, rate/work,mixture,overlapping sets and speed are some areas that I need to still work on. I think the real GMAT does test atleast 4-5 questions on these topics(may be more also). I plan to go through the GC math book fpr this review. I dont think re-reading MGMAT WT will help me now.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q39  V20
Send PM
windofchange wrote:
However, it takes me so much time to apply CR strategy and to get myself familiar with the logic of GMAT Critical Reasoning, hix.

Trust me, it is worth it. Take your time even if it means one whole week dedicated to CR. You will feel great once you master the VErbal Section as a high score cannot be achieved without a good hold on the verbal section. In my opinion, the quant section can be mastered/learned faster. Even a couple of days may be enough to get a last minute review of our weak areas, and yet improve it, but this much time will not be enough for a last minute Verbal review(for most of us minus those geniuses ). Hence, spend all the time now and master CR.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Yes... I totally agree with heygirl - for most people, improving on the verbal score takes for time!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q39  V20
Send PM
I just finished doing(and reviewing) all the DS problems of the OG :) . The last 40 or so were really hard! But,the good thing is that I have made flashcards out of all the questions that I found hard and got wrong. Hope this helps me retain those concepts :| . I am yet to do the PS questions. May be I"ll start with it on sunday and complete it over 2-3 days.

I have not done any Verbal practice for the last 2 days because I was drilling the DS questions into my head. This is not good news considering the fact that my Verbal accuracy and understanding goes low if I don't do a Verbal review (literally) everyday. So need to ge back to Verbal now. I have run out of CR questions. Need to search for some more official questions. I have also completed the MGMAT CR question bank. Am a little stressed out about the verbal considering that I got a 20 last time and I aim for a 30+ this time :idea: . Hope it works out.

8 days to go :shock: Wish me all the luck that I would ever need on the GMAT :wink:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 425 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
heygirl,

I totally agree with you that we cannot get a solid score without mastering Verbal section. Thanks for your inputs :D.

If you run out of official CR problems, you can find more in GMATPrep CR.pdf compiled by Whiplash. However, be aware that your GMATPrep score may be inflated because of overlapping questions. I read somewhere that LSAT CR questions are quite good, you may want to try the free CR question bank of Aristotle https://www.aristotleprep.com/free-resou ... stion-bank.

Try your best! I am crossing my fingers for you ;)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q39  V20
Send PM
windofchange, thanks! I hope I dont dissappoint you guys and myself! 6 days to go for me.Fingers Crossed Yes, i will take a look at the official problems document by whiplash.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q39  V20
Send PM
Took a MGMAT test yesterday. The CAT #6 and scored a 630. 44Q and 32V. My Quant is pretty much a 44 in ALL tests till date. Never lower,thankfully, and never higher.So I"ll be happy to get a 44 and that was my initial target too for the Quant part. Verbal will settle for a 28-32,according to my prep tests. The better I concentrate on the test, I get more RC and cr right. Need to keep my stress levels low for the VErbal otherwise it might go down to 25 :shock: . I feel that the MGMAT verbal scores are a little inflated and easier as compared to GMAT prep. I need to get down and do atleast 10 problems in CR and 1 RC passage daily. If not, my accuracy/strategy goes down a lot! Need to keep this going upto test day:twisted:

ok,so 6 more days to go!
I am done with the Quant but need to complete 50 CR probems as yet from the OG. Will do that today and tommorow. I also signed up for gmat pill for CR last evening. The videos were good upto now. I have done 3-4 upto now. So will complete watching all the videos by tommorow.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
going by my experience, ur quant score will be higher than MGMAT. Gmat quant, although tricky, is not as difficult as MGMAT. Keep your fingers crossed for the verbal. :-). ATB
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q39  V20
Send PM
Yes elixir, fingers crossed for the verbal. i m really worried about how it wil go.
For quant, I would be MORE than happy and satisfied with 44+
elixir wrote:
going by my experience, ur quant score will be higher than MGMAT. Gmat quant, although tricky, is not as difficult as MGMAT. Keep your fingers crossed for the verbal. :-). ATB

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
heygirl wrote:
ok,so 6 more days to go!
I am done with the Quant but need to complete 50 CR probems as yet from the OG. Will do that today and tommorow. I also signed up for gmat pill for CR last evening. The videos were good upto now. I have done 3-4 upto now. So will complete watching all the videos by tommorow.

Have you finished watching all the videos?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q39  V20
Send PM
Entwistle wrote:
heygirl wrote:
ok,so 6 more days to go!

Have you finished watching all the videos?

Entwistle, I have not finished watching al the videos yet. Was planning on doing that today. There are some 30 videos that run us through 30 problems. Apart from that, some extra problems in the fors of quizzes and some videos on strategy.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts