Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:16 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 893 [102]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618775 [50]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64895 [20]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1726 [3]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Re: The positive integers x, y, and z are such that x is a factor of y and [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
amitgovin wrote:
The positive integers x, y, and z are such that x is a factor of y and y is a factor of z. Is z even?

1) xz is even
2) y is even.

Please explain. thanks.

y/x = k where k is an integer.
y = xk ....................i

z/y = m where m is an integer.
z = ym = xkm .....................ii

If a factor is even, then the source of the factor must be even.

1) If xz is even, z must be even because x may or may not be an even because x is a factor of z but z must be even. SUFF.
2) If y is even, z must be even because y is a factor of z. SUFF..

D..
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3945 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
Re: The positive integers x, y, and z are such that x is a factor of y and [#permalink]
Bunuel, you always try to solve the questions algebraically, don't you?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618775 [6]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
metallicafan wrote:
Bunuel, you always try to solve the questions algebraically, don't you?

Not at all. There are certain GMAT questions which are pretty much only solvable with plug-in or trial and error methods (well at leas in 2-3 minutes). Also many questions can be solved with logic and common sense much quicker than with algebraic approach. So you shouldn't always rely on algebra. Having said that I must add that there are of course other types of questions which are perfect for algebraic approach, plus I often use algebra just to explain a solution.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Bookmarks
I like to thing of the boxes method. If you draw them out, then x is inside y which is inside z.
zx, a 2 will exist inside the box of either z or x (which is itself inside z) so YES
y a 2 will exist inside the box of y which is itself z so YES
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32868 [1]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Kudos
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
amitgovin wrote:
The positive integers x, y, and z are such that x is a factor of y and y is a factor of z. Is z even?

1) xz is even

2) y is even.

Please explain. thanks.

Though Bunuel has provided the solution, I would just like to bring to your notice a train of thought.

When we say, "The positive integers x, y, and z are such that x is a factor of y and y is a factor of z.", it implies that if x or y is even, z will be even.

e.g. x = 4. Since x is a factor of y, y will be a multiple of 4 and will be even. Since z is a multiple of y, it will also be even. So, in a way, the 2 in x will drive through the entire sequence and make everything even.

Once this makes sense to you, it will take 10 secs to arrive at the solution.
Stmnt 1: Either x or z (or both which will happen if x is even) is even. In either case, z is even.
Stmnt 2: y is even, so z must be even

awesome. your explanations and bunuel as well, are amazing :) thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [4]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Easy if you realize the following:
When a is a factor of b
AND b is a factor of c
THEN a is a factor of c as well.

Hence when either one of these numbers is even, the other has to be even too..
D
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1172 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
z = ky

y = mx

so z = (km)xy

(1) -> xz is eve means at least x or z is even, and if x = even, then z is also even as it has an even factor.

2 -> y is even so z having an even factor is even too.

Answer D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
At first, mistook "factor" for "multiple" came with answer E.
Later, understood that the problem was so easy...just plug and play !!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
if we plug and play, why can't we test X = 1? then y/n..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 422 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V23
GPA: 3.8
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
1) xz is even
2) y is even.
Please explain. thanks.[/quote]

Ans. let us take any 3 numbers, say x=3,y=18,z=54,
or x=2,y=4,z=20
1)if xz is even then it means that either x or z is even,say that x is even, now there is no even number which is a factor of odd number, so z is definitely even, now if x is odd as in the above case, still then we can point out that z is even.
2)if y is even then it is clear that z will be even.
Thus this question could be answered by any of the two questions.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64895 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
dchow23 wrote:
if we plug and play, why can't we test X = 1? then y/n..

Plug in method would be far more painful for this question (and most other questions in my opinion). Think how you would go about it:
Checking whether stmnt 1 is enough: xz is even
If x = 1, y = 1 and z = 2 (so that xz is even), then z is even.
If x = 2, y = 2 and z = 4, z is again even.
Then you start thinking if you can take some values such that xz is even but z is not... Now you start using logic... Wouldn't you say it is far better to use logic in the first place itself?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1821 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.23
Send PM
amitgovin wrote:

(1) xz is even
(2) y is even.

What is given?

\(z = y*N\)
\(y = x*R\)

\(xz = 2*I\)
If x is even, then z is even since \(z = x*R\)
If z is even, then z is even.
SUFFICIENT!

2. \(y = 2*I\) ==> \(z = 2*I*N\) Definitely EVEN
SUFFICIENT!

Answer: D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6041 [0]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

(1) \(xz\) even --> either \(z\) even, so the answer is directly YES or \(x\) is even (or both). But if \(x\) is even and as \(z=mnx\) then z must be even too (one of the multiples of z is even, so z is even too). Sufficient.

Can you please provide a numerical example for this part it isn't very clear. Thanks in advance!

I thought it was insufficient as there were multiple cases either X or Y even or both....
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3092 [1]
Given Kudos: 141
Send PM
Kudos
fozzzy wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(1) \(xz\) even --> either \(z\) even, so the answer is directly YES or \(x\) is even (or both). But if \(x\) is even and as \(z=mnx\) then z must be even too (one of the multiples of z is even, so z is even too). Sufficient.

Can you please provide a numerical example for this part it isn't very clear. Thanks in advance!

I thought it was insufficient as there were multiple cases either X or Y even or both....

We know that x is a factor of \(y \to y = Ix\)
Again, \(z = yI^'\). Now, given that xz - even.

Case I:Assume that x = even , z = odd. Now, as x is even, y = even(I can be odd/even,doesn't matter).
Again, as y is even, z HAS to be even(\(I^'\) is odd/even, doesn't matter). Thus, if x is even, z IS even.
Numerical Example :y = 2*I(x=2).
\(z = 6*I^'\). z IS even.

Case II : z is even OR (x and z) both are even.

Hope this helps.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [1]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
amitgovin wrote:

(1) xz is even

(2) y is even.

Given:
x is a factor of y --> \(y=mx\), for some non-zero integer \(m\);
y is a factor of z --> \(z=ny\), for some non-zero integer \(n\);
So, \(z=mnx\).

Question: is z even? Note that \(z\) will be even if either \(x\) or \(y\) is even

(2) \(y\) even --> as \(z=ny\) then as one of the multiples of z even --> z even. Sufficient.

Answer: D.

Perfect explanation. Remember the factor foundation rule.
Also, other properties of factors that might be helpful to have in mind.

Just to remind you, The factor foundation rule states that "if a is a factor of b, and b is a factor of c, then a is a factor of c"
Also, if 'a' is a factor of 'b', and 'a' is a factor of 'c', then 'a' is a factor of (b+c). In fact, 'a' is a factor of (mb + nc) for all integers 'm' and 'n'
If 'a' is a factor of 'b' and 'b' is a factor of 'a', then 'a=b'
If 'a' is a factor of 'bc' and gcd (a,b) = 1, then 'a' is a factor of 'c'
If 'p' is a prime number and 'p' is a factor of 'ab' then 'p' is a factor of 'a' or 'p' is a factor of 'b'
In other words,, any integer is divisible by all of its factors- and it is also divisible by all of the factors of its factors

Show your appreciation in Kudos.
Hope it helps
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3127 [0]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
here is the question stem => y=ax z=by => z=cx for some integers a,b,c
now statement 1 => xz is even => cases are => E,E E,O O,E => If x is even then has to be even as z=cx and if x is odd => z has to be even as zx = even
=> suff
statement 2 => y is even => z=by => z has to be even as E*E = E
suff
SMASH that D
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
amitgovin wrote:

(1) xz is even

(2) y is even.

Given:
x is a factor of y --> \(y=mx\), for some non-zero integer \(m\);
y is a factor of z --> \(z=ny\), for some non-zero integer \(n\);
So, \(z=mnx\).

Question: is z even? Note that \(z\) will be even if either \(x\) or \(y\) is even

(2) \(y\) even --> as \(z=ny\) then as one of the multiples of z even --> z even. Sufficient.

Answer: D.

Bunuel if x, y, and z are 3, 9 and 27 repectivey then how can A be sufficient ? :?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Math Expert
92902 posts